Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i can't decide on what gears to get...obviously between 3.73 and 4.10. I know this is covered A LOT but my dilema is for a different reason. To what extent do gears have on engine wear, especially between the 3.73 and 4.10. I do 2 days of highway driving a week which is only about a 25 mile drive one way so this might have a factor on the wear as well. Also I plan on getting cams in the summer so which set up will be better with the cams. I will be adding a chip/tuner pullies, and TB/plenum as well. Oh and I almost forgot. Since I have about 56000 miles on the car I will order new bearings with the gears, but what about that installation kit? Thanks in advance, Dan.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the engine wear, because the engine will be turning higher rpms at a lower speed? And are 4.10s still the way to go for me if I plan in getting cams in less then a year?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
You need to decide what you want. A cammed 4.10 car thats fast as hell and gets crappy mileage, or a nice looking Mustang that looks/sounds fast and never gets floored. If you go around everywhere with your foot to the floor the motor won't last period. Right now there are numerous threads about the same dam thing, GEARS! Spend some time reading and use the search function to answer all your questions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not saying I will go around flooring it every where all I was saying was that say i drive 75 on the highway. Well now im turning 300 more rpms to go the same speed....which basically means every thing i used to do takes more rpms so will this shorten my motors life?

G

·
Let me give you a little bit of insight that isn't exactly what everyone looks at. In fourth gear at 6000 rpms with stock tires/stock gears you should be going about 142 mph. With 3.73 about 122 mph. With 4.10's it's 108 mph... I had 3.73's... My car trapped at 116.5 mph but by the time I was actually letting off the gas I was doing close to 120 mph... Your trap speed is the average of the last so many feet. So you are actually going faster. It depends on what you want... You can't really race your car in fifth gear... It bogs the motor a lot!

·
Registered
701 Posts
gtrider said:
Hey guys i can't decide on what gears to get...obviously between 3.73 and 4.10. I know this is covered A LOT but my dilema is for a different reason. To what extent do gears have on engine wear
Engine wear between 3.73 and 4.10 should not be that big of an issue. Keep in mind that one cold start causes about the same wear than 60 - 80 miles of driving. Further more, you won't have more wear on your motor, driving around town/city. Reason: instead of cruisin in 3rd gear you might just be able to use 4th gear. (Or 5th instead of 4th) How ever, if you would tell me that you drive about 100 miles on the high way every day, doing about 80 mph, you would definitely put more stress on the motor.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK cool, thanks for the info...engineer, what do you mean by a "cold start?" I live in the Mid-Atlantic and its been in the single digits here. Luckily my car is garage kept but a lot of times a sleep over at a buddys or stay out late at night where it is not. I hope you are not talking about just the turn of a key in cold weather is bad.

·
Registered
701 Posts
gtrider said:
OK cool, thanks for the info...engineer, what do you mean by a "cold start?" I live in the Mid-Atlantic and its been in the single digits here. Luckily my car is garage kept but a lot of times a sleep over at a buddys or stay out late at night where it is not. I hope you are not talking about just the turn of a key in cold weather is bad.
Yep! Just the turn of the key is bad. That's it.
At this moment your motor revs up but has no oil pressure on the bearings and almost no remaining oil on the cylinder walls. Starting a motor, single digits or below zero temperatures are bad. It can take up to 30 seconds to get full oil pressure in every spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.