Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently torn between either saving up for a vortech supercharger kit, which costs about $5k and take a couple months for me to save up for

Or...

Doing multiple "little mods" like CAI and a tuner, Aluminum drive shaft, full exhaust, shorter headers, TSW rims and wheels which all together probably will come out to around $5k, but I can do one at a time every month or so and see progress in the 'stang.

My car is a DD so it would be cool to do all the little mods and see the evolution of my car little by little... But it would be amazing to pull up next to a Corvette or GT500 and totally smoke them with my 5.0 pushing out 575 HP to the flywheel.

What do you think???

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Id save and get the supercharger. The wait will be painful BUT when you do add the blower you will be happy. Heres wahat I did. I knew I was getting a Saleen supercharger from Brenspeed. They use the Steeda CAI with their Saleen blower kit. So I bought the Steeda CAI and a tuner to get a bit of performance until I saved up for the blower. And think twice about the shorty headers. They do add a little power throughout the rpm range but for the money and hassle of install Id look to getting longtubes. The longtubes are a lot more money but will give you nice agins and the install for longtubes and shortys is very simialr. And the little mods you listed would not let you beat a Vette but the blower will. This is just my opinion and experience. Good Luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've got the same dilemma as you.. I've been trying to decide on either a procharger or a tune and everything else..

Thus far I haven't done anything as a result. I just don't know how much power I want. Plus like you I have reservations about blowing 5k on a blower. But if I get any other mods then decide to go with a supercharger then I've wasted money..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wait a few EXTRA months and do it all :D

But seriously, I think you'll come to appreciate your car a lot more by building it up with the little mods (which can all be bought specifically aimed at the intention of supercharging) in preparation, and then as an end to your journey, supercharge it. So personally I think you should do it all, but start little by little, and build up to your final goal. just my .02 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
270 Posts
Little by little

·
Registered
146 Posts
i would also say, build it up slowly. The problem with going out and buying 1 really big item (i.e. supercharger/turbo) is that once that item is on, and you drive it for 3 months.. you will become bored with that as well, and desire more power.
personally, i would do a tune, CAI, Boss manifold (if you dont mind revving), long tubes and full exhaust.
if that isnt enough power for you, then supercharge it, and you'll only have to dump the CAI

thats just my 2 cents but im sure you'd be happier this way (and in the end, make more hp)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Baby steps with one caveate--if this is like your 3rd or 4th mustang or you've owned corvettes or other sports cars or muscle cars, then I say go big. Times a wasting!

I'm going the baby steps route because I'm still getting used to the power.

There are plenty of people here who aren't fazed by 500+ hp. If you are--baby steps is the way.

I found an email from a good friend at work from 2005 and he was blown away by the new GT500, "it has 450hp!!!" That was only 6 years ago.

We are in a new golden age of power. Enjoy it before it all gets torn down with battery powered cars, gas that costs $10/gallon, and anything else that will ruin the fun. How bummed out were the people from the late "70s? to go from muscle cars to neutered, bloated cars.

·
Registered
437 Posts
How bummed out were the people from the late "70s? to go from muscle cars to neutered, bloated cars.
Considering that cars these days are faster and handle better along with getting better gas mileage than anything made in the 70s, I'd say they shouldn't be bummed at all. Cars aren't going to stop being fast any time soon either. Auto manufacturers will continue to up the ante as they compete with each other. I don't buy for a minute that all cars will be electric any time soon.

Anyway, to the OP, if I had the money to get a blower that would be the route I would take. You get so much more power for your dollar that way. Since I knew I wasn't going to have the money for a blower anytime soon, I went the little by little route.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm slightly leaning towards the supercharger. In the end I do plan to do all the mods. I have a good friend that has been a mustang guy for years (this is my first mustang) and he advised me to save up cause this way I'll actually feel the horsepower increase and not just a CAI and 15 hp here and 10 hp there with little mods. Thanks all for the help... looks like i'm gonna be staying stock for a while now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Id seriously sit down and think about what and where you want your ride to evolve into. What you would like your car to look like and how you want it to perform.
Then figure out what you'll need to achieve this ultimate goal.

Then go for it!

Do it once....do it right!

To give you an idea of what I am talking about is I was like you, wanting more performance out of my car and want to supercharge it. I went with the baby steps first and went with CAI and Bama tune. The CAI and tune is awesome but I just really wasted about 600.00 for items that I will be eventually remove when I get my S/C installed.

I installed Steeda Ultralite springs and Koni STR-T shocks. The looks and handling is great but wanted more, so I installed Tokiko D-spec adj. dampers. I went with GT500 upper strut mounts but want adj. camber so I went with Steeda HD mounts. I want a little more drop so I'm looking at Eibach sprotsline. In the end I'll have a set of Steeda springs and Koni STR-T dampers and GT500 struts mounts doing nothing in my extra parts bin.....lol

Probably when all is said and done after all the mods I plan to do with my 2011 GT, I should have actually saved up more money and bought a Shelby GT500 Super Snake........lol...OH WELL.
Its all good..

·
Registered
437 Posts
You can sell those parts and recover a good bit of what you spent. Also most of those extra purchases could have been avoided with a little more research beforehand, which it seems like the OP is trying to do.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would do little by little and have fun along the way. I built a turbo car before my stang and I can tell you the cost of the SC is just one part, you will need other stuff along the way and it can double real quick.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not that I have completely chosen to go with the supercharger but does anyone know the mpg drop with a supercharger? I drive about 75% street and right now I'm at about 17mpgs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know i am doing baby steps, exhaust is done, next is suspensions, then wheels, then forged rotating assy with that gorgeous new hellion setup :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
303 Posts
Get the little extras and by the time you have enough $ saved up then there might be a better supercharger out there on the market.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you saying you don't like the Vortech or Paxton superchargers out there??

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know there's been a lot of talk about the internals for the coyote motor but would the motor last if you don't change any of the internals? Maybe if you don't run to much boost? I know there's always a limit to something.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It seems like the average boost for the supercharges for the 5.0 are 7/8 psi. I don't think you can go much higher because of the already high 11:1 compression ratio of the coyote engine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I started with a catted x and magnaflow comp. cat backs then steeda cai and tunes, it made a big difference but then I did a procharger and it is f'ing sick! I would recommend doing the exhaust because you'll need to anyway but the cai and tuner save your money unless your getting a tuner kit which will require a tuner....there are so many other mods that you'll want after the supercharger you wont have to worry about a having more to do, I recommend the first is rubber, you need it after sc, good luck....happy modding!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts