Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
holy chit!

·
Registered
34 Posts
They want you to register to see the story. I don't register for anything unless I absolutely have to, I don't care how easy it is or how little they want to know about me. Sorry, it's kind of neurotic, but there it is. Maybe you could copy and paste the text?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here ya go - sorry bout that!

SHEFFIELD -- A Winston County man was injured late Tuesday when his car exploded after a high-speed chase through Colbert County, authorities said.

Littleville Police Chief William Nale said the chase began at 11:37 p.m. on U.S. 43 south and ended at 11:49 p.m. when the car crashed and burst into flames on Ashe Boulevard in Sheffield, just past the Quad-Cities State Trooper Post.

The driver, Jimmy Kyle Davis, 19, 448 Winston 3022, Double Springs, was pulled from the flames by Sheffield police officer Anthony Kent.

Authorities said Davis was driving a 2005 Ford Mustang that was equipped with a nitrous oxide kit, which provides an extra boost of speed.

Nale said officer Steve Prince clocked the vehicle at 120 mph just north of the Franklin-Colbert county line.

"The officer turn-ed around on him, and I wouldn't call it a chase; it was more like we were following him,'' Nale said.

Authorities said it was estimated that Davis' vehicle reached speeds of 150 mph at times.

Nale said patrol units with the Alabama Department of Public Safety, the Muscle Shoals, Tuscumbia, Sheffield and Tennessee Valley Authority police and the Colbert County Sheriff's Department assisted with the situation.

"At one time, I think the spike stripe was going to be used, but he got by before anyone could deploy them,'' Nale said. "One witness, who was on Woodward Avenue in Muscle Shoals, said when the car came by him, it was like a rocket went by.''

Davis apparently lost control of the car in the curve at the railroad overpass on Hatch Boulevard.

Authorities said the car went airborne, cleared the guardrail and struck the TVA walking trail before landing near the overpass on Ashe Boulevard, where it caught fire.

Sheffield police investigator Capt. Greg Ray said Kent and another officer were a few blocks away on east Hatch Boulevard and heard the crash.

"When they got there, (the car was on fire) and Officer Kent went to the car and pulled him from the wreck,'' Ray said.

Davis was taken to Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital, in Florence, where he was admitted and listed in fair condition Wednesday, hospital officials said.

"He's lucky, very lucky,'' Nale said.

"He never slowed down or stopped from the time we spotted him until he crashed.

"I'm just thankful there was no traffic at that time of the night. If there had been any traffic, someone could have gotten killed.''

Nale said Davis faces numerous charges, including attempting to elude and reckless driving, as well as several traffic violations.

"There will likely be charges from every department that he drove through,'' the chief said.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
The whole "cheaper insurance rates for Mustangs" isn't getting off to a good start. I hope outliers like this idiot aren't factored into the insurance companies' calculations.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My crown vic cruiser would need a JATO to pursue at those speeds....and that's if I wanted to (which I wouldn't be crazy enough to do). He sure is lucky...maybe another example of how well Ford did in making the Mustang safer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
holy Crikey! and I thought I was lucky! this is what happens when young and dumb is added to lots of hp. course, it could have just as easily been old and dumb.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ultraclyde said:
holy Crikey! and I thought I was lucky! this is what happens when young and dumb is added to lots of hp. course, it could have just as easily been old and dumb.
YUP! And just to give you guys some perspective, the TVA trail is nearly a block away from the train overpass - I'm surprised the impact alone didn't kill him. The spot where he ended up is on the next block, kinda catty-corner away, so not quite as far as he flew, but still... :shocked:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
:dunce: IDIOT :dunce:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well his insurance rates will be going up to 25K per year!

·
Registered
886 Posts
IF he ever digs his way out from under the jail.:lock :grinroll:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
statsdr said:
Well his insurance rates will be going up to 25K per year!
Plus a nice increase for his age group :scream:

·
Registered
435 Posts
eyelleye said:
And this is why 19 year olds shouldnt own mustang GTs... or if they do, should learn a lesson from this one.
Hey, hey, hey, easy now. I'm 19, and I can definitely say that not all 19 year olds will drive that way with 300 HP. That's both an unfair assumption and copmletely wrong. Personally, I think the jackass deserves everything he gets for doing something that stupid, but one of our guys at work is 35 and pulled a similar stunt on a MOTORCYCLE (but he didn't wreck it!).

It's people like THIS who make it so hard for people my age to afford to insure a mustang!:bouncer Oh well, I'm off of my rant :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dude, how can a 19 year old afford a $30K car anyway? Man, when I was 19 I was a college student living on Ramen noodles and driving whatever family car was paid for and I could afford to put gas in. LOL

·
Registered
435 Posts
It depends largely on circumstances and priorities. I'm active duty military, so I make a descent amount. Also, being single, what else do I have to spend my money on? I have my '05 Mustang, which was $23,000, and an '04 Suzuki Intruder motorcycle, which was about $7,000. I didn't get the GT because of insurance, not the cost of the car. I could have gotten it and afforded it, but it's just not worth that much to me, at this point! :walksmile

That's how a 19 year old can afford a $30,000 car. :)

G

·
WOW! At least we know the hood won't rip off at 150+ mph...

I saw the Spike TV show when they took an '05 GT and added nitrous. Let me say, the ZEX system is incredibly nice. I am very close to wanting one. The purge system, the lighting, the whole quick disconnect. They went all out for 2005 Pony's.
I know a guy who used 100 HP boost to go 10.99 in the 1/4 mile.
It goes up to 175HP gains, thats like almost 500 rwhp with a CAI/ flash tune... for $700 bux.

That said, at 19 yrs old to do this stunt is beyond ludicrous. At any age you should know better. Kudos to the cops for saving him after all that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
Kudos to the cops for saving him after all that.
I probably would not have pulled him out after the jeopardy he put those officers and the public in, and would have let him take himself out of the gene pool. That cop's a better man than I am...I have no patience for that kind of carelessness, self-centeredness, and just plain stupidity. Stupid a-hole...:yakyak:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Good thing he had NOS so he could outdrive them... think he should have spent some on handling too... and a cage, and some fire protection... oh and maybe a shrink, a contious, a helmet... driving lessons, and some more engine parts as those choppers are dang fast... nice going idiot! Still glad he's okay though!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Maybe he should stick to WATCHING Gone in 60 Seconds instead of acting it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts