Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently had trouble w/ power to my voltage regulator so my mechanic suggested a :)eyebulge: chevy:eyebulge: ) set up. ( one wire set up) which means i done away w/ my regulator and used and externally mounted regulator right on the alternator. my prob. now is i have 14.4 volts coming out of the alternator and it is heating up my coil and shutting down my motor. i talked to msd b/c i have a distributor from them and they suggested an inline ballast resistor but i am afraid of frying other components w/ that much juice being produced. and when i fire up my car it runs great (for awhile until the coil warms up) but before that time the key wont shut it down. i checked the ignition switch but it all checked out fine. sorry for such a long thread but plz i am going nuts trying to figure this one out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
bamm-it sounds like you should have stayed with the original alternator set-up. Fix the charging issue before trying to fix anything else, since the other problems could be caused by excessive voltage.

Also, a friendly suggestion, you have 3 threads about the same issue. It would be easier to help if all the info was in one place.:)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
14.4 volts is what the alternator is supposed to put out, that's not excessive.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx cracker for the info. i thought that 14.4 was no excessive either but an MSD rep. said it was. i will try a ballast to see if that solves my coil prob. but what about the motor not wanting to shut down? like i said the ignition switch checked out ok.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like Cracker said, 14.4V is NOT excessive. Who knows why your MSD guy doesn't know that?

It sounds like you have some kind of wiring problem. The coil could be overheating and causing it to shut down, but it should not be causing you to not be able to manually shut it down with the key. For a lot of reasons, I think that you should restore the original alternator/wiring setup and then figure out what is wrong. Modifications to fix a problem is not usually a good idea. Fix the problem first, then, if you want some sort of mod or upgrade, it will be much easier to install and troubleshoot.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys for your input. i am going to restore the wiring harness back to the original way it was. then go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The problem might be the coil. I put an MSD Read-to-Run distrubutor in my 67 and every time the car got warm it would start missing bad then die. The shop that sold me the distributor said a stock coil can't recharge fast enough with a performance distributor and will eventually die. Try the MSD blaster coil it fixed my problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.