Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was almost done installing my MMD hood struts, when i over tightened the fender bolt (didn't seem like i put that much torque on it at all?) and the head of it snapped off. there isn't enough room with the hood on to get a drill in there, so the hoods going to have to come off. do you guys think the bolt will easily spin itself out with a drill, or is this going to be a nightmare?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Getting the hood off the car safely will be your only nightmare. Use a small, strong (like titanium) bit to drill a pilot hole for a screw extractor, and you'll have that fender screw outta there in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting the hood off the car safely will be your only nightmare. Use a small, strong (like titanium) bit to drill a pilot hole for a screw extractor, and you'll have that fender screw outta there in a matter of minutes.
do you think that if i take the fender liner off, that i could get to it that way, rather than drilling it from the top?

·
Super Moderator
2,336 Posts
Why don"t you try a small angle head drill,if that will fit,and I think it should, it will save you the time removing the hood.Sears also sells an easy out bit for problems such as yours,I was a Mechanic for 35 years, things happen,take a deep breath and it will all work out.GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
i was almost done installing my MMD hood struts, when i over tightened the fender bolt (didn't seem like i put that much torque on it at all?) and the head of it snapped off. there isn't enough room with the hood on to get a drill in there, so the hoods going to have to come off. do you guys think the bolt will easily spin itself out with a drill, or is this going to be a nightmare?
Why don"t you try a small angle head drill,if that will fit,and I think it should, it will save you the time removing the hood.Sears also sells an easy out bit for problems such as yours,I was a Mechanic for 35 years, things happen,take a deep breath and it will all work out.GOOD LUCK!
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having. Sounds like 5.0 Coyote has pointed you in the right direction. This is exactly what I would try to do before taking the hood and or fender lining off the car.

Hope this helps! Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

-Dan

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
fender lining comes off easy..i doubt it will help but worth a try

Maybe a punch/chisel/hammer and you can work it out that way

·
Registered
612 Posts
Can you post a photo of what you're talking about so we can have a little better idea of what the situation is?

Fender bolts are neither highly torque or big grade bolts so you should have too much trouble getting it out once you identify the right approach.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is a good suggestion if the angle head will allow you to appropriately drill a pilot for the screw extractor/easy out.

I worked construction in college, and I swear I broke about 100 bolt heads in my day. Screw extractors work as advertised as long as you drill that pilot, but you're going to need access to the top or bottom of the broken screw. Accordingly, I don't think the fender idea will help.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tnx for all the replies gents. here are some pics.....

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sort of overkill for a heli-coil install, but here's a real "Southern Boy" tellin ya how to do it. I dig the accent.

(may not be right size)

·
Registered
612 Posts
OP:

Easy Day!

It looks to me like you have enough room to get a normal cordless drill in there, no? If so, there's two ways to deal with it:

1.)Get a set of left handed drill bits (screw removers). Take a normal drill bit and drill a pilot hole and once you have enough of a cavity, insert the left handed bit and reverse the bolt out

2.) if you bugger it up using the above method, all you have to do is just drill out the center of the bolt. Take a small drill bit and drill all the way through until you are at or near the bottom of the bolt. Once you have that 'tunnel' drilled, you can move up to a bigger drill bit and remove more material from the center of the bolt and down. Progress over two or three sizes of drill bit will get you closer to the later edges of the bolt (careful not to bugger up the threads of the fender hole). Once you've removed enough material the bolt will lose tension and you can spin it out with a left hand bit or even a pair of needle nose pliers

If you CANNOT fit a drill at a 90* angle - this is what you need to do:
Drill a small pilot hole (dimple) somewhere near the edge of the bolt shaft - this dimple needs to be just deep enough to accomodate the pointy end of a punch like this:

Once you can get the pointed end of the punch in the dimple, just position the punch at like a 45* or 30* angle and keep tapping the end of the punch with the hammer in the direction of loosening the bolt (to the left). This will take a bit of time, but once you start the bolt moving - you are in the clear and it will spin out easier

If all else fails, go to Sears and buy a angle drill and do Procedure 1 above. If you go to Fatwallet.com you can find some good coupons that will get you a Craftsman Nextec angled dtill for less than $50.

Lastly, make sure to douse whats left of the bolt with Liquid Wrench (the yellow can) before you start:

Good luck.

You'll have this out in no time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bolt. I think you have a lot of ideas to try, but if and when you pull the hood off, have some friends over to help. You don't wanna tweak it. Take your time

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tnx so much guys for all the help. i will tackle this over the wknd. fingers crossed!

·
Registered
323 Posts
do you think that if i take the fender liner off, that i could get to it that way, rather than drilling it from the top?
This is your best bet - and it is easy to do - you will just have to take the wheel off first - don't go at it from the top unless you can use a puch & hammer & the broken bolt rotates easily - too easy to damage the hood or fender if you go at it from the top.
Trust me on this one - been there done that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is your best bet - and it is easy to do - you will just have to take the wheel off first - don't go at it from the top unless you can use a puch & hammer & the broken bolt rotates easily - too easy to damage the hood or fender if you go at it from the top.
Trust me on this one - been there done that.
i agree. do you know if i will be able to see and access the bottom of the bolt from underneath, after i remove the liner?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Since I have the tools, a lefthand drill bit and an angle drill would be my approach. That'll fix it in short order.

Just make sure you center-punch the broken bold first so that you drill as closely down the exact center of it as possible, and the rest is very easy. Step up in drill bit sizes until it comes right out.

And however you work on it, improvise a fender cover with some blanket taped to the fender's hood seam, or the like. If you don't, you're garaunteed to drop a tool and scratch the fender.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so a buddy and i tried to get it out yesterday with a cheap bolt extractor kit from autozone and we failed. the cheap bits didn't have the cutting ability to go more than about 1/8th of an inch down into the bolt shaft, resulting in not enough depth for the extractor bit to sink its teeth into. we got it to rotate maybe 4 complete turns, but then it got stuck and nothing we could do would make it budge. this wknd i will use my expensive cobalt drill set to drill more deeply into the bolt. we were at his house and i forgot to bring my drill bits. what a royal pain in the ass and what a waste of 20 bux on the garbage autozone extractor kit. i really should know better, but lowes and home depot didn't have what we needed. live and learn.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I can only assume you got it out by now, lol.
I broke the same damn bolt removing it on mine. I was able to push the hood open far enough to get a cordless drill in there and a cheap harbor freight extractor kit did the job. Now looking for the bolt size, or if someone has replaced theirs with a dress up kit and wants to get rid of a few. If not, off to the hardware store.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts