Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 01' Gt with 7100 miles on it. The vehicle came with nearly $6000 in aftermarket parts. The question is what kind of horsepower should be stock for the 5 speed 4.6?? Second question is what would you estimate the horsepower would be with a cold air intake, 70 mm accufab and plenum and underdrive pulleys?? The reason I ask is that in the book of mods (receipts) that came with the car it also listed a hypertech tune. I am taking the car to a dyno on sat. but don't know if the tune is still in the computer. I need a baseline horsepower with the three mods so that when dynoed I can figure out if the hypertech tune is still in there. I can't locate the previous owner to ask him. HELP Please.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Stock hp at the crank is 260 at the rear wheels about 220-225. With those mods and a tune 240 at the wheels is about right. The tuner should be able to tell if it has a Hypertec tune or not. I don't see $6000 worth in those mods either, what else does it have?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
hrmm the hp sounds about right, on what dollar said and i agree i would say the max $ put into those mods is like 1.5grand max.

70mm tb and plenum no more than 500
cold air intake no more than 300 id say
steeda has U/D pulleys for 200 i think
and the tune depending one what kind and what not maybe 400?

i am estimating these numbers from what i have seen on mustang sites, kind of an average, so no one jump at me =)

(i could be off a bit)

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
hp

CAI probably $200-250
70mm accufab/plenum $400-450
UD pulleys $175 or so
Chip about $250

If the previous owner spent $6000, he's either the worst shopper on the planet or those are some VERY expensive wheels and tires.

On second thought, I'm guessing he also went for gears ($600 installed) and an aftercat exhaust ($450).

tripleblack

yankcollector said:
Just bought an 01' Gt with 7100 miles on it. The vehicle came with nearly $6000 in aftermarket parts. The question is what kind of horsepower should be stock for the 5 speed 4.6?? Second question is what would you estimate the horsepower would be with a cold air intake, 70 mm accufab and plenum and underdrive pulleys?? The reason I ask is that in the book of mods (receipts) that came with the car it also listed a hypertech tune. I am taking the car to a dyno on sat. but don't know if the tune is still in the computer. I need a baseline horsepower with the three mods so that when dynoed I can figure out if the hypertech tune is still in there. I can't locate the previous owner to ask him. HELP Please.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
oh yeah, hp

Oh, and I'm going to guess about 250hp at the rear wheels, depending on the chip or tune. No chip/tune present, then he'll hit maybe 240.

Be interesting to know - post the results.

tripleblack

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mods on 2001 gt

the vehicle came with: kenny brown strut tower braces, sub frame connectors, ford racing aluminum drive shaft, tri-ax shifter, Mac rear end girdle. 3.73 gears, the vehicle was lowered 3/4", adjustable caster camber plates, cold air intake, the 70MM Accufab and underdrive pulleys, Mac x-factor head pipe w/ mil elimators, Mac cat back exhaust, D&D perf. upper and lower control arms, cross drilled and slotted rotors, custom chrome upper radiator hose and overflow, Cobra "R" chromed rims plus a few chromed billet knobs in the vehicle. oh yes and a classis design light bar with brake light built in. This a little closer to $6000 mentioned above plus like I said mileage today at 7450. and it's a covertible.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
ah thats sounds like a much better part list than just
cold air intake, 70 mm accufab and plenum and underdrive pulleys

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
That sounds like a sweet ride you found man. Be sure you post the dyno sheet so we can all check it out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dyno

I'm starting to have second thoughts about taking the car to the dyno. Since the list of options on the car included the hypertech tune. I have no idea what octane the car was tuned for or if the tune is still in the car. The last thing I want to do is fill it with 87 octane and find the car was tuned for 91. Detonation could be a big problem if this is true especially running it to 6 grand. Should I fill it with 89, or 91 just to be on the safe side????The last thing that I want to do is to buy another hypertech tuner just to find out. What do you think???

·
Registered
573 Posts
yankcollector said:
I'm starting to have second thoughts about taking the car to the dyno. Since the list of options on the car included the hypertech tune. I have no idea what octane the car was tuned for or if the tune is still in the car. The last thing I want to do is fill it with 87 octane and find the car was tuned for 91. Detonation could be a big problem if this is true especially running it to 6 grand. Should I fill it with 89, or 91 just to be on the safe side????The last thing that I want to do is to buy another hypertech tuner just to find out. What do you think???
Put 91 in it and get a tune and a Dyno............A retune will make your concience feel better.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I agree, the only way you're going to get the answers you're looking for is to put some 91 in the tank and get it on the rollers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.