Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well they said they dynoed the car before they started working on it. They pulled 201 at the wheels. Unfortunately he didnt tell me the torque. But the only thing I had done at that point was cut of the stock cat back and put some spintech sportsmans on that I had laying around the garage and dumped it. SO it was 201 with those mufflers. I had them install a set of BBK tuned length shorties, the UPR O/R X-pipe, and the American Thunder Flowmaster catback. Then he put it on the dyno and it layed down 242hp and 274 tq. That is a pretty significant jump at the wheels for that. Then he started tuning a little bit with the predator and got it to 249hp and 286tq at the wheels. And he could only put in so much timing and all cause I only had 87 octane in it. I dont have a cai yet but when I get one I'll have to go back in and up the WOT fuel ratio a little bit between 4k-7k.

Overall I am very pleased with the added power that just thse few mods added. He was very surprised that it was that much of a jump. He said it was the most power a GT had put down with just that little done to it. But the sound is mean, not nearly as loud as I was hoping for but it'll do.

So I would have to say, from my experience which is just from yesterday, from what the dyno says I will say these have to be pretty damn good parts and I recommend them :drink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
its not possible to go from 201 to 249rwhp with just those mods, a stock 02gt is allready at around 220-230rwhp, so i think the 201 dyno was wrong, :thumbsup but it does look like u gained around 20 hp which isnt bad, i have intake/exhuast, underdrive pulleys, and a predator and i dynoed at 263rwhp, so i would say next good mods would, be a cai( demolet) and a throttlebody plenum combo(accufab)and maybe some underdrives, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think I will go with the cai and the underdrives but prolly not goin with the tb or plenum being as no says they help at all. They dyno guys say that they gain nothing or next to nothing with it from their dyno tests. He said they've actually had customers sit out in the waiting room and wait for them to dyno it then install the tb and plenum then dyno again and then they get pissed and demand that they just put the stock stuff back on and they werent paying the bill cause of the cost and no gains from it.

As far as the cai goes, pretty much everyone is in agreement that the in fenders are cool but are a b*tch to deal with. The metal intakes have the whole heat soaking problem. So its better off to go with one that has a heat shield and isnt metal. And it seemed they all agreed on Densocharger(or something like that) or the K&N, and actually more people "voted" for the K&N.

And the Underdrives, they say the whole having to take apart something on the crank pulley then reattach it all to the new one and silicone it all up and hope stuff dont leak or something like that. But they say the Steedas are all one piece replacements. Like you yank the stockers off and throw on the new ones. But the guys at the dyno shop said they've put on a million of them and they said that they have started warning customers not to use the alt. pulley cause all of them are coming back with charging problems so I may just do the water pulley and crank if I can just get those 2 pulleys.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hi, 201rwhp sounds off...is it auto, you can get more loss to wheels with autos. and i am running full exhaust,and a CAI and predator, and my gtech registered at 248and 249 the time i ran it. but thats my old first generation Gtech lol which can have 5hp +/- i think i probably should be running 300 to the fly, maybe 305. not sure id like 263 to wheels every little bit counts.

how much loss is in a 02GT, because i calculated a mach 1 they tested in 5.0 mag and it cam out to be about 11% drive train loss... ill post numbers later

let me know
thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I do remember him basically giving me a guesstimate on how much power I would put down stock. And he said it would be around 200. He said they've dynoed a ton of them and they all pop up right around 200 to the wheels.

And to carguy1985 its a 5 speed as my signature says. Yes manuals have less parasitic loss than autos. These cars are rated at 260hp and I put down 201hp. Thats like 22.7% loss through the manual and axle and all.

And to lightblade, what was the difference in your power and everything before and after your tb and plenum install. It was nothing right?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The thing is cars are usually 17% loss through drivetrain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've read articles on drivetrain loss where they've actually dynoed the motor in the car then actually pulled it to see what the motor itself was making just to see. THey did it on several different motors to get a variety of trannies and rear ends. The autos were losing like 34%-37%. At the time I was only caring about the autos they are the ones I paid close attention to. But I do remember them saying that the best automatic they tested was just barely worse than the mauals and it was like 24%-25%.

And you say the thing is cars usually lose 17%. Does that mean any car? Any tranny? Any rear axle type? Hopefully you meant "THESE cars with THESE transmissions"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok stupid question here. I was just looking at the Diablo Sport Predator and was wondering. This is just a handheld computer to change select things about your car to get a "little" better performance out of it. If someone else had one (since I cant afford to drop 400 bux right now) I could just hook it up to my car and make some adjustments as well right? As long as they were using the same one my '02 would use of course. Just curious cuz all I really wanna do is turn my rear o2's off so I can get rid of the "service engine" light from my x-pipe. Ive been looking at the MIL eliminators but if this will do it maybe I can find someone nearby with the tuner. Next question is, anyone around detroit willing to turn my 02's off? :nogrinner

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wingzfan said:
Ok stupid question here. I was just looking at the Diablo Sport Predator and was wondering. This is just a handheld computer to change select things about your car to get a "little" better performance out of it. If someone else had one (since I cant afford to drop 400 bux right now) I could just hook it up to my car and make some adjustments as well right? As long as they were using the same one my '02 would use of course. Just curious cuz all I really wanna do is turn my rear o2's off so I can get rid of the "service engine" light from my x-pipe. Ive been looking at the MIL eliminators but if this will do it maybe I can find someone nearby with the tuner. Next question is, anyone around detroit willing to turn my 02's off? :nogrinner

It doesnt work like that. A tuner is for a one car at a time thing. It basically takes the stock program off the computer then puts on the modified one. SO it can be interchanged from vehicle to vehicle. Unless someone was getting rid of theirs and cleared off the modified format and put back in the stock program then it would be ready to use on another vehicle :thumbsup

·
Registered
436 Posts
ok....87_5point0.....it would seem to me that your first dyno pull was way off if your HP at the wheels was only 201 :confused: :what: ...all GT's make 260hp and 300lb tq. at the crank....this turns to about 240HP for manual cars and about 220HP for autos....now, there is no way that an exhaust system alone is gonna give you a 40HP increase....it doesnt make sense.:shrug ....i would take it to another tuner and have it re-dynoed..a second opinion is always better and i know others on these forums are havin a hard time digesting your weak initial dyno numbers....:hihi:

now as far as the predator goes, 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford reviewed it (Dec. '04) and tuned a Mach 1 on the dyno and increases of 5-17 HP and up to 8-30 lb tq. throughout the RPM range.....now, i now that this is on a 4V Mach, but these are serious gains and definately more than the 7 HP and TQ u picked up on a 2V GT...also, where do you get your car tuned at....maybe you should take it to someone with more experience on Fords or Stangs.....out of all my mods, the Predator gave the most SOTP :drool: increase (gears are sitting here awaiting install) and i think that you should be able to get more out of it....

CAI: i can tell u from experience that the fenderwell CAI's are a PITA.:madas: ...the filter is inaccessible unless you remove the tire and remove the splash shield....i would recommend the DeMolet or K&N FIPK as both are known to be quality pieces...also check out Street Designs, they have a cool ass carbon fiber CAI....i have the BBK and am satisfied with it, it looks good when polished and doesnt get real hot (its polished aluminum or chrome?) but its a b*tch to get to the filter....

Underdrive Pulleys: would recommend Steeda:thumbsup as they are all one piece pulleys and are not the piggyback style but completely replace the old pulleys....if you dont want to get the alternator pulley, i know March Pulleys offers a 2 piece kit, but i would definately get the Steedas as they are also SFI approved.....i have the Steeda pulleys (all three) and havent had any charging problems (also have an Optima Red Top Battery).....

TB/Plenum Combo: now, this mod wont give u a huge HP increase, but any gains are good gains.....also, this will give u a better throttle response and will complement other mods....in the latest 5.0 Mustang (Sept. '05) the review the BBK TB/Plenum combo.....it was shown to increase HP by about 8-9HP and 13-14 lb tq....these mods are worht the price to me and almost all the Plenum/TB combos offer the same gains with minimal variation....you have many options (BBK, Accufab, Trickflow, C&L, etc.) and u really want to pick the one that u think looks best cuz they all perform about the same
my .02
wow, this post got kinda long....:eyebulge:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
220 at the wheels for an auto is only a 15.4% loss which is insane. There is no way that Ford has made their trannies that much sweeter than everyone elses. And 240 to the wheels with a manual is only a 8% loss, which is also incredible. There is no way to get those numbers out of a stock motor with a stock tranny. Now Im not saying that my stock dyno wasnt a few hp low possibly but there is no way to get them that high with the stock drivetrain the way it is.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have my 5.0 Mag where they tested a 4.6 4V Mach 1 Completely Stock, and that comes with 305HP to flywheel..... and it came out to 262 HP now with my calculations thats about 14% loss. (it was a 5 speed)

here... 305 * .14 = 42.7

305- 42.7 = 262.3

This is dynoed on 5.0 Mag

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.