Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been looking into running a new motor oil in my Stang's 302 and wanted to know some opinions.

How good is Amsoil for this age of engine, its just a 302 with some light mods. Is this a good oil to run in my baby? A lot of my friends use this in their street rods but they are (Chevys:nono:, ) haha.
Anyone heard of this new "Z-Alt?" sounds like a snake oil, but thats just my opinion since its very expensive!
also, I run the car is the spring, summer, and fall, but hardly use it in the winter because I live in Maine and it snows like a ***** here lol.

Kyle

·
Registered
337 Posts
You might consider Brad Penn's Racing oil 20w50

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Any of the good synthetic oils would be fine (castrol, valvoline, shell, etc.) amsoil, royal purple are nice but expensive.

Synthetics do a better job at lubricating surfaces and reudcing friction under varying temperatures. Pretty much the best alternative to maximize against wear. They also tend to flow better becuase the do not build up sludge like conventional motor oil. I personally use royal purple, however, that's because I only want the best for the "Beast" Considering the money I have in the engine, its cheap insurance.

When I was a kid (16), I used "wolfs head" in my 67 fastback 390GT. Only because it sounded good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
use ams oil 10-40 it has the zink phosphate that you engine needs for non roller cams. All oils that are thinner than 10-40
don't have the zink in it any more thanks again to th epa
it will destroy non roller engines.

·
Registered
337 Posts
that's the green motor oil right?
Yes, the green stuff. I use it in my daughter's 65 coupe and the 67 GTO. Will also be using it soon in the Cleveland motor going into the 68 fastback.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
For general street use and cruising, pretty much any off the shelf oil will do just fine; Dino, semi-synth, or full synth.

The big issue is lack of ZDDP. Up until the last couple of years, you could use a diesel oil like Shell Rotella. But diesels now have cats, to; so their ZDDP leval has also dropped by about 25%.

You can buy a ZDDP additive like COmp Cams or GM. That will get any off the shelf oil up where it needs to be.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For general street use and cruising, pretty much any off the shelf oil will do just fine; Dino, semi-synth, or full synth.
I use the car for cruise nights, but occasionally "open" her up and snap my neck everynow and then. I have wanted to see what she'd do in the 1320 but came here before I did anything. I think i'll try that Brad Penn when I need to change the oil, but thanks guys for all the responses!

Kyle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts