Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally become fed up with having to top my radiator off after every 150 miles. It is getting old. I currently have a 3-row radiator from Autozone. :sterb: I know... I should know better and I do but I bought it when i first got the car running after i finished the body and paint work.

But anyways it is crap and I hate it with a passion. So i am looking at getting an aluminum radiator. Just wondering what you would recommend.
I would love to get the BeCool setup but from YearOne the radiator itself is $655.00 :eyebulge: Thnat tends to break a college students bank.

I have looked on ebay as well and no becool radiators for Stangs

I am also considering Fluidyne and Griffin. What do you think?

Drew

·
Registered
58 Posts
i like griffin radiators, ive installed one in an old dodge polara that was having over heating problems and after that it was solved

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running hot and it is a combo between crap radiator and the fact that my overflow bottle broke. So Sunday or Monday i am planning on ordering a radiator and parking the car for a few days. And tinker with and fine tune her again.

Drew

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought a universal one from work that is 28" wide, it cost about $170 at jobber, then I'll run a 2000cfm 16" Fan, The total will be about $250, just gotta fab up some mounts and get a universale lower radiator hose.....

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
For the overflow bottles I know napa sells generic ones that may work temporarily for you, good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We run Griffin aluminum radiators in our pro stock dirt cars...they run a constant 6200-7400rpm and we have no problems. They hold up great and still keep the motors cool even when gum'd up with dirt. I plan on dropping one in my mustang this winter and would reccomend them to anyone. Fluidyne makes a good radiator also...anyone know why the BE COOL radiators are so expensive??

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am going to be getting a Griffin in the near future. They have been in business awhile and I have heard nothing but good things about them. I plan on getting one from http://www.mspmall.com/ddautospec/ He is a good guy to deal with and the price he quoted me was close to the price for a no name Summit one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know every thing was fine until i got gears. That old stock rad. just couldn't keep up. I went with a 3-row brass and no complaints. It fixed my overheating problem on my 20 min. interstate commute. But really i think the main thing to my fix was a fresh fan clutch. I know that sounds stange but when i put the new clutch in, it sounds like a freight train now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As to an Alum. rad. I think unless your worried about weight, its a waste of money. The combo that I have, 3-row brass, can idle, or drive in traffic, all day, with A/C blasting,and the guage never moves. And my 347 is pretty mean. Underdrive pulleys and a worn fan clutch is killer too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have underdrive pullyes with a new fan and clutch assembly. New 180 degree thermostat.( Which was what I had been using for the last year before changing it last month.) As well as a new 3 row brass radiator. Car still sucks in traffic without using the A/C and running a 14" electric fan that pushes air through the radiator. Also running Water Wetter in my system as well. Aluminum radiator is my last option My overflow bottle carcked, second one in two months.

It ran fine last summer. I didnt have my A/C hooked up last summer, no underdrive pulleys, no electric fan and was running 50/50 mix with the new fan and clutch and the then new 3 row radiator.

Drew

·
Registered
4,809 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
FIVE OH said:
anyone know why the BE COOL radiators are so expensive??
From what I heard from my boss when I used to sell car parts, is there is only 1 aluminum radiator company and becool buys them up and stamps their name on them. Pretty much your just paying for a name tag.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It ran fine last summer. I didnt have my A/C hooked up last summer, no underdrive pulleys, no electric fan and was running 50/50 mix with the new fan and clutch and the then new 3 row radiator.

Have you tried going back to this combo to see if the problem still exist? One thought is that maybe the pusher fan is blocking more area then it is helping to cool. If it isnt difficult I would try removing the fan and see if it helps. Do you have a high flow water pump? If you do, is the thermostat also a high flow unit? a regular t-stat can be held closed by the pressure of a high flow pump. Also try running a 70/30 water to antifreeze mixture and see if that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.