Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am going to be on the market for a new car soon. I'm 22yrs young and ready to get back in a sporty car since college is almost over and the corolla just isn't doing it for me. I had a nice 98 camaro in highschool and loved the t-tops on it so at this point i'm looking for opinions on the convertible vs hardtop. Also, how is the auto tranny when shifting under hard acceleration? I've only driven the 5-speed so far. And of course how happy are you with your car?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I don't think you'll find too many in here who have been disappointed with their new Mustang. I'm a hardtop guy but there are plenty of vert lovers here too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
At 22 years your not really going back to anything (your a kid). After working six and seven days a week for forty years I did go back . I have had a pickup truck all my working life so in 06 I bought the first car in years a nice Mustang GT . I love it alot of fun to drive good gas mileage and for me insurance is cheap (300 a year) .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At 22 years your not really going back to anything (your a kid). After working six and seven days a week for forty years I did go back . I have had a pickup truck all my working life so in 06 I bought the first car in years a nice Mustang GT . I love it alot of fun to drive good gas mileage and for me insurance is cheap (300 a year) .
What kind of gas mileage do you average? And if I were to change to 3.73 would I sacrifice my mpg much? Glad your enjoying it. I know you don't mean it the wrong way but for being a "kid" i've worked hard to get where i'm at. Worked for my dad in construction at 14 and moved up from there to various jobs working for myself. Like you my other car is a truck.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Mileage varies inversely to mods. :) 3.73s won't do much. With everything I've done, I still manage 18 around town and 23 on the hwy.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If you are patient, you will have a lot of options from which to chose:

New 2007 and 2008 Mustangs with factory rebate incentives now.
New 2009 Camaro due out the end of this year.
New 2009 Challenger R/T 5.7L hemi due out next year.
New 2010 Mustang with freshened retro styling due out mid-2009.

As long as you have another vehicle as a daily driver, I think you should take your time and evaluate all options before picking one.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Ok I am chiming in for the convertible crowd.

GET A VERT.

This is my first convertible and I absolutely love it. There is nothing like cruising with the top down on a nice warm Summer night. There really is no way to describe it.

The hardtops are great too....if I had the dough I would have one of each. Here is my list of advantages and disadvantages of a Mustang convertible.

3) Easier to clean and detail - no roof....lol. And you don't smack your head when vacumming :gringreen
4)You can't kiss your best girl under the moon in a hardtop....at least not without getting out of the car....
5) You can view lunar eclipses while driving
6) A convertible will turn so many heads when you are driving with the top down you will think passersby are watching a tennis match
7) When out on a first date and she asks you what your star sign is you can just point to it.
8) When taking a hot babe for a ride in your car you can ask her if she wants to go topless without getting slapped.

Disadvantages

There's my 2 cents.....lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
For me the disadvantages of a convertible is

1) Too cold in Canada
2) I don't like the side rear windows on the convertibles, I find the hardtops look better for the rear side windows
3) Tinting, I like my car tinted.
4)The fabric, leaking problems maybe? (I don't know if it happens)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
For me the disadvantages of a convertible is

1) Too cold in Canada
2) I don't like the side rear windows on the convertibles, I find the hardtops look better for the rear side windows
3) Tinting, I like my car tinted.
4)The fabric, leaking problems maybe? (I don't know if it happens)
The rebuttle:

1) Turn the car's heat on or move to Arizona
2) Subjective (you obviously have no taste...lol)
3) Do you want a limo or a Mustang ?
4) If you slice the top open with a knife it will probably leak, but barring that I think you are safe

:happyhapp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the list fuzz! What about at highway speeds? Does it rattle or anything with top up? I'm looking at newer used gt's. I am a chevy guy but the new camaro does not look good to me and I love these mustangs. The challenger is out of my price range. I'm looking for low 20k. I might go drive a 350z but I don't like the coffee can sound they make too much.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks for the list fuzz! What about at highway speeds? Does it rattle or anything with top up? I'm looking at newer used gt's. I am a chevy guy but the new camaro does not look good to me and I love these mustangs. The challenger is out of my price range. I'm looking for low 20k. I might go drive a 350z but I don't like the coffee can sound they make too much.
Southern....there are no rattles with with the top up or down. In fact my Acura TL had many more strange rattles and buzzes than my Mustang convertible has. You may read something about convertibles having something called "cowl shake" which is the shaking of the body because the body is less stiff than a hardtop for obvious reasons. But the Mustang has a pretty stiff body for a vert. I added the CDC convertible light bar to mine and also a Steeda strut tower brace. Both of them stiffen the body even more and the CDC light bar just looks plain cool anyway.

I drove a 350Z convertible and my biggest issues with that car were the sight lines (which were awful) and the fact that the car seemed so small I felt like I was driving a roller skate.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
+1 on the convertible crowd. i am soon to be 20 so i am in the same age group as yourself (well, almost lol) and i can tell you, vert are FUN!!!!!! i totally love cruising around with the top down, something i end up going too slow because i don't want the ride to end, or i just go around the block a few times before pulling into the driveway for the night. The top folds in a "Z-style" fashion and looks great without a convertible soft boot covering it.

But in all do respect, if you buy ANY S197, you CANNOT go wrong :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I rented a vert for a week. Put about a thousand miles on it. When I bought mine, I got a hard top. I suggest you try both, and see what you like best.

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
I have always like the hard top. On the Verts you pay more for the soft top versus the hard top. I also like the hard top for safety reasons. Both have there pluses and minuses. Keep us posted on your descision.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
An early 70 degree day here today. Got to drop the top.

It's a no brainer.....Get a vert !!

:youcandothis:

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i dropped the top like i have never dropped it before. over 60 degrees and SUNSHINE!!!! :happyhapp:

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
A vert is great when it is between 60-80 degrees. I had a vert and sold mine to get a hardtop. I did enjoy the vert, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.