Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The only problem i'm having with the decision is parking around campus at night when I go out. I'm going to put in a double din navigation screen and a soft top could make that more tempting to theives. I had a wrangler and just left the doors unlocked to make it easier for them an me. Someone actually jacked 2 cds out of it one time so I know it happens.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I went hardtop. Because I like to drive my Mustang. Now this may sound weird but follow me... I live in a nice area not too much as far as people around at night. If I take my car out to a movie or shopping or to a resturant then your not in an area where you can trust everyone. A knife to the top and easy in. Even if you don't get your car stollen OR your stuff you now have to replace a roof. Can happen twice a month etc. I just can't afford this! I do not park in seedy places but you never know. For me a convertable is too esy of a target. Sooner or later....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I just don't see a knife to the roof as something that is really going to happen. That is extremely rare. There are easier ways to get into a car and that goes for both verts and hardtops.

As for having to replace the roof IF that rare situation did occur.....ummmm....that's what insurance is for.

G

·
Hey everyone. I am going to be on the market for a new car soon. I'm 22yrs young and ready to get back in a sporty car since college is almost over and the corolla just isn't doing it for me. I had a nice 98 camaro in highschool and loved the t-tops on it so at this point i'm looking for opinions on the convertible vs hardtop. Also, how is the auto tranny when shifting under hard acceleration? I've only driven the 5-speed so far. And of course how happy are you with your car?
I'll be honest, if you have to ask that question - you probably are leaning towards a 'vert. :hihi:

I have a hard top - love them, couldn't talk me into a 'vert if you tried. But I will admire them, of course, I am not a hater.:D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
This is my third convertible. (all Mustangs). My '86 and '07 have spent many o' night parked in Newark (I went to school there and still go back to visit the Portuguese's section and catch Devil's games). I have never had a top cut. Hard top or convertible, if someone really wants to break into your car they'll do it. Off the top of my head I can think of three people I know that had their cars broken into. All hard tops. Don't let the old wives' tale that if you have a 'vert the top will get cut all the time line dissuade you. If you're really on the fence about buying a convertible, as someone else suggested, rent one for a few days (or better yet borrow a friends). Drive the heck out of it and see how you like it.

Good luck on your decision. Let us know when you buy the convertible... :laugh:

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
i never wanted a vert .... thought the idea of owning one was rediculous. now i got one and wouldn't part with it ... still want a coupe though :D

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.