Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've decided to go with either the Pypes Catback setup or the DynoMax and want to know opinions on these.

Pypes Pros:
Stainless Steel
Mid-muffler design
4" tips

Pypes Cons:
AM says only 5+ hp gain
Costs more than DynoMax

Dyno Pros:
10 hp Dynoed
$75 cheaper than Pypes
Stainless Steel

Dyno Cons:
I've heard there are fitment issues
3.5" tips
Doesn't look as awesome

I've heard the pipes are a good fit for BBK headers but so far haven't found anything with DynoMax/BBK yet.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have been doing a bit of research on this as I'll be looking to upgrade my exhaust in the coming months, and so far I am leaning towards Pypes. The sound isn't that bad based upon what I've heard on youtube, and I haven't heard any complaints on drone yet from them. I on the other hand have read some differing takes on the Dynomax setup.

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I asked the same question a few months ago in this thread and Pypes won hands down in the poll:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/284515-dynomax-vs-pypes-catbacks.html

I actually just ordered the M-80 mufflers that come with the Pypes catback SFM79 system and some resonated tips I found. I will have these installed instead of going with a whole system. I think this is a way more cost effective route while still achieving my goal. It will cost $270 including labor.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I've been hearing great things about both lately. I have found way more reading material on the pypes systems and very very little on dynomax. Price point, the dynomax catback systems seems incredible and the few videos I've heard sounded good. The few pypes videos I saw sounded excellent, but dynomax does "claim" more HP..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I am leaning towards the pypes too but it is very hard to ignore the dynomax with potentially more HP, slightly cheaper cost and well, they do have a performance/sound guarentee that is making it even more hard to not choose them.

If they are quieter than the pypes, then that could be used to my advantage when I put the BBKs on, given how much louder they will make any exhaust.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Both systems have fitment problems.

I personally have the Dynomax and love the sound it makes. It's very very unique and has a 'raw' sounding tone. I spent a day driving around with no muffler on and it sounds AMAZING. Problem is that it's wayyyyyyyyy too loud. The Dynomax system takes the same sound that the muffler delete has and subdues it to a nice and quiet level until you reach 2400-3k RPMs when it opens its vocal pipe and she purrs.

The reason why I loved the Dynomax and Pypes system is that both had the 'raw' muffler delete sound to them. Not the backfire, ricer, drone, raspy sound that most of the other axelbacks have (or other brands for that matter).

Overall, I was shocked at how quiet the Dynomax system was in comparison to my '99 Camaro cat back Magnaflow exhaust. I kind of miss the boisterous tone, but the raw Ferrari-like sound of the Dynomax still makes it my favorite sounding exhaust :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
510 Posts
2VipeRS, you would call the Dynomax loud? I LOVE the sound of my '96 (see sig) but before the cat delete found the dynomax UF's to be quite quiet (and not very deep sounding either) and I am concerned on the '12 V6 I would experience a similar thing with the engine being smaller and having the stock cats in place.

Now, I'm willing to be the Dynomax would sound fantastic with the BBK/ORX setup but thats just a hunch.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my biggest worry with going with the DynoMax - it'll be too quiet. I can settle for it if it's louder than stock.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Its one of the more quiet aftermarket catbacks ive heard, but definitely louder than stock, without a doubt. If you like a raw Ferrari type sound, you will love em.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love the look and sound of the pypes from what i've seen on youtube, I'm waiting to get mine installed, got it in and it doesn't fit properly so i'm gunna have to get a shop to get it working for me, just a heads up for everyone interested in them

·
Registered
142 Posts
You make check out the Dynomax web page I believe they have a $75 consumer rebate through August, that may help in your decision.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You make check out the Dynomax web page I believe they have a $75 consumer rebate through August, that may help in your decision.
That'll probably cover my install cost! That plus their refund it not happy thing, I think I am going to take the plunge on the DynoMax first.

B

·
0 Posts
So I finally got the M80s and resonated tips installed and have to say I'm very pleased with the sound. I think this is a good variation of the Pypes exhaust sold for $500. Including labor, mine cost $280 installed.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Any videos of the dynomax? Is anyone complaining about drone at all with them? The price is very reasonable. I think the price of some of these axle back systems is out of hand.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
So I finally got the M80s and resonated tips installed and have to say I'm very pleased with the sound. I think this is a good variation of the Pypes exhaust sold for $500. Including labor, mine cost $280 installed.
That's a steal! They look great, have more clearance from the driveshaft than the Pypes catback, and look like the setup went with less hitches than the non-fitting premade Pypes catback. Great idea!

B

·
0 Posts
The other thing I like is that they installed everything so that it would not impact me changing the exhaust with a bolt on catback or axleback system if I decided to go that way later on. But right now I'm enjoying the sound improvement.

B

·
0 Posts
So, I've decided to go with either the Pypes Catback setup or the DynoMax and want to know opinions on these.

Pypes Pros:
Stainless Steel
Mid-muffler design
4" tips

Pypes Cons:
AM says only 5+ hp gain
Costs more than DynoMax

Dyno Pros:
10 hp Dynoed
$75 cheaper than Pypes
Stainless Steel

Dyno Cons:
I've heard there are fitment issues
3.5" tips
Doesn't look as awesome

I've heard the pipes are a good fit for BBK headers but so far haven't found anything with DynoMax/BBK yet.

Thoughts?
Actually the Pypes website also claims 10hp for their SFM79 system.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I on the other hand have read some differing takes on the Dynomax setup.
You have? I haven't... Can you link us to these claims? Thank you!
Both systems have fitment problems.

I personally have the Dynomax and love the sound it makes. It's very very unique and has a 'raw' sounding tone. I spent a day driving around with no muffler on and it sounds AMAZING. Problem is that it's wayyyyyyyyy too loud. The Dynomax system takes the same sound that the muffler delete has and subdues it to a nice and quiet level until you reach 2400-3k RPMs when it opens its vocal pipe and she purrs.

The reason why I loved the Dynomax and Pypes system is that both had the 'raw' muffler delete sound to them. Not the backfire, ricer, drone, raspy sound that most of the other axelbacks have (or other brands for that matter).

Overall, I was shocked at how quiet the Dynomax system was in comparison to my '99 Camaro cat back Magnaflow exhaust. I kind of miss the boisterous tone, but the raw Ferrari-like sound of the Dynomax still makes it my favorite sounding exhaust :bigthumbsup
That's a nice little review. What fitment issues did you see with the Dynomax? I'm going to guess they'll get better over time as well. I'm going with Dynomax for my V6 and I'll make sure to order them before August because I want/need that $75 rebate. Thanks again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts