Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 2005 4.0 v6 mustang as of right now is stock. Here is a list of upgrades I wanted to do. Let me know what you think being that this is the first time I have done anything to it.

Pypes v6 duel conversion kit for exhaust.
JLT CAI, with SCT SF3 tuner.

·
Registered
962 Posts
this will set off a landslide of information.

I feel that in the begining a low cost and almost immediate improvement would be a CAI and 91 octane tune accompanied by a single low flow (GT takeoff) muffler will give you the most bang for your buck.

(dual exhausts look good but do little to improve performance)

After these everything else is gravy...lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum!

You are on the right path. The Cold air intake (Just called CAI around here) and the tuner combo is the first step for anyone. It's a night and day difference.

Also the dual exhaust is a must for not only looks and performance but also sound. I don't know why but it sounds SOOOOO much better when you have a dual as compared to a single.

If I were you I would get my tuner from AmericanMuscle.com because they offer free tunes for life. That means if you get some new headers down the road you call them up and the write you a tune to optimize the performance gains that the headers will offer (However, headers do not offer much:winks).

Also before you get a exhaust kit check out a mustang with a H pipe on youtube first. An H pipe sounds a lot throatier but offers less performance. Its up to you. My exhaust shop made me a custom H pipe and installed 2 flowmaster mufflers for 250$ installed. If you want a vid of my exhaust let me know.

For your next mod, after the exhaust and tuner, I'd look into a 8.8 rear end and gear combo from NewTakeOff.com. That is what most of us are doing to make our V6's fast. Oh and be sure to check on craiges list for cheep GT tires and wheels. They have some nice wide tires that you will like.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Check out www.newtakeoff.com for the dual exhaust kit, its made by pypes and has everything you will need for the install, and has GT mufflers. For the JLT CAI and SCT Tune get the combo from www.americanmuscle.com

all of this will put a smile on your face.:yup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Depends on what you wanna improve? Sound? Acceleration? Handling? Braking? N/A or F/I?

Assuming N/A, don't do duals if your initial goal is improved acceleration cause they won't get you there. Duals will really shine on an FI app and I've heard those running boost report 10-15hp but that is under boost not N/A. You'll likely see 0-5hp max on a stock app.

1- CAI and Tune
2- Gears Tlock

1 & 2 will give you >90% of the performance gains available to an N/A 4.0 from a throttle response and seat of the pants, tire barking kind of way.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Hey I have a 2005 4.0 v6 mustang as of right now is stock. Here is a list of upgrades I wanted to do. Let me know what you think being that this is the first time I have done anything to it.

Pypes v6 duel conversion kit for exhaust.
JLT CAI, with SCT SF3 tuner.
thats a great start right there. all mods are good mods :gringreen ( thats how i look at it anyway)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thats a great start and will give you the most noticable improvement! good luck on your adventure!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked on the website new take off and found this part.
2005-2009 Mustang 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly 3.55:1Ratio w/ABS W/Trac-LocPinion Flange For Mustang V6

Is this the part you were talking about?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Depends on what you wanna improve? Sound? Acceleration? Handling? Braking? N/A or F/I?

Assuming N/A, don't do duals if your initial goal is improved acceleration cause they won't get you there. Duals will really shine on an FI app and I've heard those running boost report 10-15hp but that is under boost not N/A. You'll likely see 0-5hp max on a stock app.

1- CAI and Tune
2- Gears Tlock

1 & 2 will give you >90% of the performance gains available to an N/A 4.0 from a throttle response and seat of the pants, tire barking kind of way.
Don't go duals??? What?!?! The rest of your information is fairly solid though :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
208 Posts
In terms of off the line acceleration. Gears does it. Duals doesn't but makes you sound better.

Get some gears and you will know my young padawan.

·
Registered
962 Posts
yeah duals are a let down if you dont have FI. Been there. A good single meffler will increase your performance. Dont bother with headers either ,until youre ready to go all out FI. Again been there,,,:winks
Got it all now and it seems to be a well rounded finished product...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I looked on the website new take off and found this part.
2005-2009 Mustang 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly 3.55:1Ratio w/ABS W/Trac-LocPinion Flange For Mustang V6

Is this the part you were talking about?
They used to have the 8.8 with 3.73's but that is definitely what I was referring to.

Also the Dual exhaust may not add much performance wise, but it really does make the car sound and look better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out www.newtakeoff.com for the dual exhaust kit, its made by pypes and has everything you will need for the install, and has GT mufflers. For the JLT CAI and SCT Tune get the combo from www.americanmuscle.com

all of this will put a smile on your face.:yup:
This all looks and sound amazing! In all honesty, how easy is the instalation of the CAI? I mean... I change my own oil but thats about it as far as my tech skill/experience. It looks to good and easy to be true. I just dont want t o mess anything up. Also, this mustang is my daily driver. Does this hurt the engine or reliability at all? I think this would be a great start to my 09 4.0 V6. I dont know about the exaust yet but maybe someday. I am very excited about the CAI and tuner combo on americanmuscle.com.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts