Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not real happy with my intake or tune.

I bought my intake as part of a "kit" that came with gears, pulleys...etc I couldn't beat it for the price. I plan to order a JLT CAI.

Now the question:

How many out there run JLT and who did the tuning?

I live in a VERY remote part of Texas (Waaaaay southern tip, as in 10 miles from us/mx border). Getting a tune for me would mean emailing dyno sheets to and from. I don't trust the "tuners" here. The nearest "reliable" place is San Antonio or Houston/Dallas, all of which are a minimum of over 3 hours 1-way driving time.

I dynoed 280 RWHP with the following:
JMS Chips CAI
JMS Chips Tune
Bassani Xpipe
Flowmaster 40 Mufflers
Cat Delete
Steeda Pulleys
4.10's (no difference in dyno right?)
LINK TO DYNOSHEET HERE

I have seen folks dyno more than that with just CAI and Tune. I am convinced I have a very cruddy tune. I don't really trust JMS for the simple fact that while ordering the SCT II device, (I originally had an SCT I as part of my "kit", bought it way back in Jan of last year), they didn't even ask what mods I had. I had to tell them "Um, don't you need to know what my car has?". Even then, when I got the tuner, it was set up for regular stock gearing which tells me that they probably gave me an "off the shelf" tune.

I look forward to some responses!

Thanks,

-N

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The most 'raved about' tunes and intake seem to be, C&L and JLT II with either a PRedator or SCT Excaliber 2 tuner and a 93 octane tune from either Bamachips.com or Brenspeed.com.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
ninoavila said:
I am not real happy with my intake or tune.

I dynoed 280 RWHP with the following:
JMS Chips CAI
JMS Chips Tune
Bassani Xpipe
Flowmaster 40 Mufflers
Cat Delete
Steeda Pulleys
4.10's (no difference in dyno right?)

-N
I can see why.
Stock a manual is close to 270hp. All that and only gained 10hp?

What Octane gas are you running?

The 4.10's do make a difference. They multiply the toque your engine makes to the rear wheels. That is why you accelerate faster.

contact Fred at Evolution Performance (evoperform.com) and he already has a great tune for your car if you go to a C&L or JLT air intake.

I know that the intake and Tune(on 93 Octane) nettet me atleas 15hp.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought the JLT II and SCT tuner package from JLT. According to Jay, the tunes were devloped by the guys at SCT. I've been very happy. I ran the 87 octane tune for a long time, and just switched up to the 93 octane tune. I'm kind of in the same boat about local tuners (at least good ones). I haven't had it dyno'd yet, and don't see it happening any time soon.:rolleyes:

There's definitely more HP, and the driveability is MUCH better. The 87 and 93 seem to pull equally at WOT, but the 93 is noticeably stronger at part throttle acceleration.:eyepoppin The datalogging with a laptop is great, too. Might not be enough to really tune by, but it sure is cool.

I'd be willing to bet I've picked up more than 20 hp. The magazine tests were showing in the mid 20s, and the ads showed more, neither of which is outside possibility for how the car feels.

HeII, it even sounds different!!!
I don't regret it a bit, at least until I'm paying for new rear tires!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would recommend Doug at Bamachips http://www.bamachips.com
His tunes are great, especially if you have an auto. After his tune I now chirp my tires in 2nd and 3rd with my automatic. :drool:

He has awsome customer service as well and will email you updated tunes if you need them. He is an SCT dealer.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
ultraclyde said:
I bought the JLT II and SCT tuner package from JLT. According to Jay, the tunes were devloped by the guys at SCT. I've been very happy. I ran the 87 octane tune for a long time, and just switched up to the 93 octane tune. I'm kind of in the same boat about local tuners (at least good ones). I haven't had it dyno'd yet, and don't see it happening any time soon.:rolleyes:

There's definitely more HP, and the driveability is MUCH better. The 87 and 93 seem to pull equally at WOT, but the 93 is noticeably stronger at part throttle acceleration.:eyepoppin The datalogging with a laptop is great, too. Might not be enough to really tune by, but it sure is cool.

I'd be willing to bet I've picked up more than 20 hp. The magazine tests were showing in the mid 20s, and the ads showed more, neither of which is outside possibility for how the car feels.

HeII, it even sounds different!!!
I don't regret it a bit, at least until I'm paying for new rear tires!!!
I thought you'd have more pull with a 93 tune than an 87. Why would every1 want a 93 tune if 87 and 93 had the same top end acceleration? Wouldn't it be better in that case to save 25 cents per gallon and get 87?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that kind of seals it. After much research and seeing this thread, JLT and Brenspeed are two names that keep coming up consistently.

I was real suspicious about that tune and intake. My "intake" consists of nothing more than a filter and new MAF housing. No tube, no elbow, no shielding...etc.

FYI: I was running 93 octane gas on my 93 octane "performance" tune.

I understand how the gears work, but they don't affect your dyno numbers from what I can gather.

And folks, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my car isnt' fast, I have already driven a 12 out of her with only 280rwhp, but still. I just think that there is so much more in her that has yet to be released :)

Thanks again.

-N

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
ninoavila said:
I guess that kind of seals it. After much research and seeing this thread, JLT and Brenspeed are two names that keep coming up consistently.

I was real suspicious about that tune and intake. My "intake" consists of nothing more than a filter and new MAF housing. No tube, no elbow, no shielding...etc.

FYI: I was running 93 octane gas on my 93 octane "performance" tune.

I understand how the gears work, but they don't affect your dyno numbers from what I can gather.

And folks, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my car isnt' fast, I have already driven a 12 out of her with only 280rwhp, but still. I just think that there is so much more in her that has yet to be released :)

Thanks again.

-N
What size wheels do you have yours?

·
Registered
886 Posts
let me clarify.....

When I was comparing WOT, it was downshifting to fourth at 75 and pinning it to the floor, before and after changing the tune. I think if there was a difference, it just might not be +feelable+ at highway speeds. There may be a big difference on a dyno or drag strip.
At part throttle there's an obvious difference. And how often do you actually get the accelerator flat on the floor? Unless I'm racing, It's usually not touching the carpet, and that is where I've felt gains.

Also, the egine rpms spool up much quicker, even tapping the pedal in neutral. Downshifts are much smoother because the throttle responds as quickly as I always expected it to. It will break the back end loose quicker, too, and at lower rpms.

Besides, if the price diff is $.30 per gallon, and you burn one tank a week, you're spending an extra $4.80 a week. Skip one tall latte a week and you'll never know the difference.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
It wont affect dyno numbers if its corrected, but how on earth could a car accelerate faster with gears if it didnt make some kind if change on the dyno... its measuring power at the wheels right?

No extra power to the wheels, no extra acceleration.

280hp and your gettin 12's...you got somethign goign on we dont know about. What kind of 60' are you running. YOu must hook well.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I dynoed my at 283 and I'm using the C&L and Preditor 91 tune, base was 261, so it gained 22 at the wheels. 283 at the wheels should get low 14s hight 13s and not 12s. Ill find out tonite at the strip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No tricks up my sleeve

Here's my timeslip from my 12 sec run (left side):

CLICK HERE for timeslip

This was on ET streets, 45-50 deg. weather, launching @ 4,800rpm, no front passenger seat - shaker 1000 speakerbox - rear seat. I weigh about 255.

I have the run on video.

-N

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tunning by DTPracing.com
My mods are in my sig using 87 tune
302 rwhp /320 tq

A friend's 93 tune and mods.
MAC longtubes, MAC Prochamber w/high flow cats, Borla Axle Back Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Steeda Charge Plates, Steeda UDs, SCT/DTP Tuned, FRPP 4:10s, Pro5.0 short shifter 18x9 w/ 255/45 Nitto T555's. 327rwhp/340tq
I haven't been to the track yet. I have just been buzzing around the back roads.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Here we go again...

Personally I think your DYNO NUMBERS are wrong! 12's are awesome for the regular bolt ons and a tune...

Which lead me to suspect you have an auto? Which would make your strip AND dyno numbers close to high average....??

Gearing only make your dyno run go quicker (faster acceleration, TQ and HP will remain.)

If you still want a true phone/e-mail custom tune the best one out there is Ken at Modular Depot www.modulardepot.com as you have seen in 5.0, Racing Pages, on the tracks, etc....

There was some other comments above I can't remember... but you read what you want anyways....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Here we go again...

Personally I think your DYNO NUMBERS are wrong! 12's are awesome for the regular bolt ons and a tune...

Which lead me to suspect you have an auto? Which would make your strip AND dyno numbers close to high average....??

Gearing only make your dyno run go quicker (faster acceleration, TQ and HP will remain.)

If you still want a true phone/e-mail custom tune the best one out there is Ken at Modular Depot www.modulardepot.com as you have seen in 5.0, Racing Pages, on the tracks, etc....

There was some other comments above I can't remember... but you read what you want anyways....
My understanding as it has been explained to me going to the 4.10s will actually cause your dyno runs to appear to have LESS HP... Example... a V6 posted that his car on the dyno was making like 150RWHP. Way low! Stock auto is around 170... turned out they did the dyno pulls in 2nd! So you can see how the different gearing can affect the HP rating...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kj_cinci said:
Here we go again...

Thanks but....No, it's manual.
I thought that my 4.10's would have an affect on the dyno, but according to a couple of tuners/dyno operators - they don't. Click Here to read about that very questionI asked over at ModularFords.com.

Well, I'm specifically looking for folks who tune 3v motors (The 2005/2006). The processors on these are completely different than previous 'stangs. Just because you're good with the cobra (runnin' with the devil - horsepower by herman...etc) or 99-04 doesn't always mean you're the best across the board. I'll check him out anyway!

Very true ;)

Thanks again,

-N

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
To me, gearing is used to accelerate the car faster at the track. This is achieved via torque multiplication from the engine to the rear wheels.

This is also why we change gears.

I dont like pointing at people with experience and saying your wrong... so I will state it like this.

Could someone please give me a quantifiable answer to why gearing doesnt affect power out put to the wheels. We change the rear to get a better mechanical advantage to the wheels to accelerate our cars faster. So, if it can accelerate our car faster, then why on a Dynojet would it not accelerate the rollers faster showing an increase in torque for a given RPM at the wheels?
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: This is really going against what I learned in Dynamics and its giving me a head ache.

Oh and a set of 4.10s vs a set of 3.55's shouldn't cause more drivetrain loss... if it did it wouldt help us go faster... right?

·
Registered
897 Posts
ninoavila said:
Here's my timeslip from my 12 sec run (left side):

CLICK HERE for timeslip

This was on ET streets, 45-50 deg. weather, launching @ 4,800rpm, no front passenger seat - shaker 1000 speakerbox - rear seat. I weigh about 255.

I have the run on video.

-N
Hi Nino,

Your problems are in your first 60'

My friend on 16" ET Streets is running 12.48 and is getting 1.60 60' times.

His setup is 4.10 gears, 26" MT ET Streets with skinnies up front, MAC Offroad Pro Chamber, Magnapacks, Steeda intake and a custom tune. This is with a 13pc 3d Carbon bodykit that weighs 150lbs.

I think your times are good for the mods and 60' times you have. If you work on your 60' times your 1/4 mile times will improve. Maybe improper pressure,rpm,track prep. You should ony hear a quick spin of the tires not even 1/4 second long. It's hard to describe but a good launch can be heard.

Here are a couple of my time slips

Stock Exhaust C&L, Diablo, Steeda U/D, BFG DR

There was a 7mph tailwind that day and we think that's why the mph was high.
The mph were being questioned as this was the last official race day of the year.
The NHRA officials checked the equipment and everything was given the green light. :shrug

JBA Longtubes with catted H-pipe, C&L, Diablo, Steeda U/D, BFG DR

This was the last day of the season and the clutch abuse of 550 runs was beginning to show. The clutch spun on the 3-4 powershift. I should be able to better these numbers next spring with a new clutch.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'm thinking the dyno uses spool up time, speed and TQ for its calculations. So as said above, with 4'10's and the dyno set at 1:1 (4th gear) and stock ratio 1:3.55 for us... speed (MPH if you will) would be lower at the end of the run and calculations would be lower to show lower HP/TQ...??? I know the gearing is one thing that have to be manually entered on the DJ... with load and other adjustments...

Thump is DA MAN on the track! And I've heard it before "IT'S ALL IN THE 60!"

Ken at MD is one of the leading S197 tuners. He has helpt SCT themselfs on several occations and continue to do so. He has also 'built' the 'custom' tune you get with many CAI's on request from the CAI manufaturer. He was the one tuning all the CAI set ups in 5.0's S197 CAI shootout, he was the one installing and tuning the ZEX story... and there are more to come I'm not of liberty to talk about... :cool:

This is pretty cool too:
http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?threadid=77204

1 - 20 of 28 Posts