Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some honest opinions on these wheels.

I got (2) 18x9's, 6.2" backspacing for the front and (2) 18x10's, 7.0" backspacing for the rear. These are actually Polished Aluminum from Boyd Coddington Wheels.. They also only come in at 20lbs.

Now for tire choices... I have access to Tirerackwholesale.com, but have no idea what's gonna fit the best on these 18's. Any ideas?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those are some pretty sweet wheels, and I don't like many, so consider that a huge thumbs up. I say buy 'em.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I like them, but wouldn't chrome or polished Bullits be about the same for cheaper? I think you can fit a 295 or 305 on the back and a 265 on the front.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I love the smoothies. I wish I had the cash to lay down on a set myself.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I've always been a big fan of the razor cut spoke,those are sweet. I've considered a set the Boyd's Smoothie II's which are the dark gray spoke look-a-like on my new legend lime 06'.

·
Registered
437 Posts
dollarbill said:
I like them, but wouldn't chrome or polished Bullits be about the same for cheaper? I think you can fit a 295 or 305 on the back and a 265 on the front.
Yeah, the Bullitts would be cheaper but at 20lbs, they're alot lighter than the Bullitts. That and they just look better :thumbsup Go for it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you got the cash go for it, they are some nice wheels. As for tires it depends on what type of driving your going to be doing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I bought the Smoothies. I was thinking Bullitts, but everyone has them, and although the Smoothies are similar, they are certainly have a different look. I'm not sure what tire sizes to go with.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've got 18x9s all the way around. I'm running 265's up front and 275s out back. I'm sure you can go as wide as you want on the rears.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My buddy has polished Coddingtons. What a pain in the a$$:happyhapp to keep them shiny. Factory chrome, painted, etc. is much less work to maintain.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Millzey96GT said:
Well, I bought the Smoothies. I was thinking Bullitts, but everyone has them, and although the Smoothies are similar, they are certainly have a different look. I'm not sure what tire sizes to go with.
What size did you get?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If you could post a pic of your new wheels that would be cool. Especially a rear 1/4 pic so we can see how the offset and the tires you picked fits.Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GR40Snake said:
My buddy has polished Coddingtons. What a pain in the a$$:happyhapp to keep them shiny. Factory chrome, painted, etc. is much less work to maintain.

I had thought about getting the rims coated with clear. Obviously, on polished aluminum wheels, you have to be careful about what you clean it with. Acid and degreasers, especially those that are phosphate based, will really mess up polished alum.

dollarbill said:
What size did you get?
I got (2) 18x9's, 6.2" backspacing for the front and (2) 18x10's, 7.0" backspacing for the rear. This is what Coddington recommended for a '96 Mustang.

Darth said:
If you could post a pic of your new wheels that would be cool. Especially a rear 1/4 pic so we can see how the offset and the tires you picked fits.Thanks!
Will certainly post pics. It will be a while, since I intend to get my motor in first. It's at the machine shop now, getting some tweaks. I will probably put some 285/35-18's on the back temporarily. Here at work, we pull many tires off our vehicles prior to sell as part of our recon procedures, and there are some good sets of tires around that came off S-Class Mercedes Sports that use the 285's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.