Ford Mustang Forum banner

Does Your Mustang Hit the Offical MPG #s?

• No

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No, but I drive with a heavy foot

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Yes, but I drive with a light foot

Votes: 1 3.4%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy 2013, 'Stang Fanatics!

I tested a 2013 Mustang V6 Premium not so long ago and came up with some interesting MPG results. After taking a look at the specs, I began working on the theory that specific option packages can have a direct impact on fuel economy. These changes are not reflected on 'official' EPA mileage ratings shown on the window sticker ...

Here's the review video:

2013 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Review : MPGomatic - YouTube

... and the Full Review: 2013 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Review | MPGomatic

My big goal for 2013 is to work the reverse of this. With luck, I'll have something to share in a few weeks ...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
That's because certain option packages come with wider tires and steeper gears leading to a decline In mpg. And I bought my mustang for the mix of power/ mpg.not all people buy a mustang for the same reason. Mines my daily driver/weekend car/ project car haha

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's because certain option packages come with wider tires and steeper gears leading to a decline In mpg. And I bought my mustang for the mix of power/ mpg.not all people buy a mustang for the same reason. Mines my daily driver/weekend car/ project car haha
Spot on, Powerwhee!

Did you keep track of the changes with the tires & suspension drop?

G

·
It's a big word for just three letters. :) A-N-Y purchase?

Why would Ford go to the expense of running this test?

2011 Mustang V6 1000 Lap Challenge @ Bristol - YouTube

Yep. I was there ...
Why did Ford go to "the expense" of an entire tank of gas?:heha::heha:

Dunno. Especially since it means basically nothing, and I've never heard anything about this test before now.

Seriously.......there are many, many great reasons to buy a Mustang. MPGs are not a high priority for most buyers.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I drove my 2011 Mustang V6 auto convertible MCA Edition for 21200 miles before I traded it for a 2013 GT auto vert - in August 2012. I did not trade it because of "gas mileage." It got excellent mileage - with the exception of 320+ miles on a track. I recorded the miles to one decimal point and the gallons to 2 decimal points each time I filled the tank. The attached chart shows the MPG for each tank. My "not very meaningful" 21,200 mile average was 23.80 MPG. Most of my driving was city streets. You can see the tanks where I was doing highway driving.

Attachments

G

·
Of course the EPA numbers do not reflect option packages. They only reflect the transmission and engine choices.

Cars like mine are never going to get close to what is on the sticker. Having the 3.73 gears and the Brembo wheels & tires is just going to crush the MPGs. So if I answer "No" in the poll above, it really means nothing, because the EPA estimates mean nothing in specific to my car.

I'm confused as to the basis of the OPs thread starting post. The answer is obvious and easy to see by going to the EPA's web-site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why did Ford go to "the expense" of an entire tank of gas?:heha::heha:

Dunno. Especially since it means basically nothing, and I've never heard anything about this test before now.

Seriously.......there are many, many great reasons to buy a Mustang. MPGs are not a high priority for most buyers.
It was a bit more than a tank of gas. :kooky:How much do you reckon it costs to rent Bristol for two days? (I was extremely lucky to be invited down to cover the event back in 2010 to shoot the video report.)

I'd wager that the V6s fuel economy is one of the larger reasons that V6 owners opt for that engine over the V8, aside of course, for the lower purchase cost (and presumably insurance).

'Most' is a generalization. There are sound reasons why the V6s launch marketing was the way it was, back in 2010. MPGs are and will be a significant factor in the purchase decision for a good number (possibly even Many!) of Mustang V6 owners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove my 2011 Mustang V6 auto convertible MCA Edition for 21200 miles before I traded it for a 2013 GT auto vert - in August 2012. I did not trade it because of "gas mileage." It got excellent mileage - with the exception of 320+ miles on a track. I recorded the miles to one decimal point and the gallons to 2 decimal points each time I filled the tank. The attached chart shows the MPG for each tank. My "not very meaningful" 21,200 mile average was 23.80 MPG. Most of my driving was city streets. You can see the tanks where I was doing highway driving.
Great stuff, Radioguy! Are you keeping track the same way with your GT?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course the EPA numbers do not reflect option packages. They only reflect the transmission and engine choices.

Cars like mine are never going to get close to what is on the sticker. Having the 3.73 gears and the Brembo wheels & tires is just going to crush the MPGs. So if I answer "No" in the poll above, it really means nothing, because the EPA estimates mean nothing in specific to my car.

I'm confused as to the basis of the OPs thread starting post. The answer is obvious and easy to see by going to the EPA's web-site.
Obvious to the enlightened, YES, but not to the average Joe on the street. There are a number of things that conspire to lower fuel efficiency.

The EPA has been dumbing down window stickers systematically.

In hindsight, the poll should have included a fifth line:
Yes, but my Mustang has options that negatively effect MPGs.

G

·
It was a bit more than a tank of gas. :kooky:How much do you reckon it costs to rent Bristol for two days? (I was extremely lucky to be invited down to cover the event back in 2010 to shoot the video report.)

I'd wager that the V6s fuel economy is one of the larger reasons that V6 owners opt for that engine over the V8, aside of course, for the lower purchase cost (and presumably insurance).

'Most' is a generalization. There are sound reasons why the V6s launch marketing was the way it was, back in 2010. MPGs are and will be a significant factor in the purchase decision for a good number (possibly even Many!) of Mustang V6 owners.

It seems that a better poll, would be to ask what were people's priorities in buying a V-6. I would think that gas-mileage would come in 3rd, behind initial purchase cost and insurance cost.

MPGs are just not that big of a deal with "most" Mustang owners, including V-6 owners, and especially with V-8 owners.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
+1 I never even considered MPGs when I bought mine. But I knew it wasn't going to be my daily driver.

Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems that a better poll, would be to ask what were people's priorities in buying a V-6. I would think that gas-mileage would come in 3rd, behind initial purchase cost and insurance cost.

MPGs are just not that big of a deal with "most" Mustang owners, including V-6 owners, and especially with V-8 owners.
That would be a great poll to run as a follow-up, Glock22357.

If I had my druthers, I'd buy a GT and run it on 100% domestically produced fuel. Even better if I produced the fuel myself. :gringreen That said, the current V6 is head and shoulders above the previous engine. My wife and daughter would be perfectly happy with the V6. My son, on the other hand, wouldn't want anything but the V8.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Great stuff, Radioguy! Are you keeping track the same way with your GT?
Yes, I have been keeping the same data for the 2013 GT auto vert. Here is the data for the first 4400 miles.
On the 2011 Mustang V6 auto vert I was running 87 octane. On the 2013 GT auto vert I am running 93 octane with the
FRPP tune.

G

·
I don't care what motivations people have to track their fuel mileage, I only care about how people actually track their mileage. For people who go off the onboard trip computer, you are doing it wrong. Hand calculate each and every drop or don't bother.

As to the original post, the primary performance options that have a dramatic effect on fuel mileage are the different gear ratios. That would be something a potential buyer would need to research and be familiar with on their own before getting behind the wheel.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yes, I have been keeping the same data for the 2013 GT auto vert. Here is the data for the first 4400 miles.
On the 2011 Mustang V6 auto vert I was running 87 octane. On the 2013 GT auto vert I am running 93 octane with the
FRPP tune.

Looks like the gt, while not having as large of a discrepancy in the mpg range, is consistent in getting close to 20mpg all the time which is still great.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
And to the op, my mods haven't done much to my mpg. I can easily get over 30 mpg on the highway cruising at 70 mph.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
I don't care what motivations people have to track their fuel mileage, I only care about how people actually track their mileage. For people who go off the onboard trip computer, you are doing it wrong. Hand calculate each and every drop or don't bother.

As to the original post, the primary performance options that have a dramatic effect on fuel mileage are the different gear ratios. That would be something a potential buyer would need to research and be familiar with on their own before getting behind the wheel.
+1

I really could care less about the mileage in and of itself (I mean, our F150 gets 13.0 mpg and it gets used the most out of any of our vehicles). I am just a numbers guy and I like to keep track of things. It would be useless for me to just go by the computer, as the numbers wouldn't be right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts