Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this issue. Yesterday driving home from work my 2013 v6 Mustang lost power and threw up the orange wrench. I killed the engine and restarted it to drive the rest of the way home. When I pulled the codes I was blown away by how many there were. I stopped writing them down at 160. The most common code is P0000, but I am having trouble finding out what that code means. In fact I cannot find many of the codes, and one was an error in cylinder 7.

I cleared the codes, and I will see if it throws some more when I get home from work today. Besides the wrench issue yesterday and a bum water pump 10,000 miles ago, I have had zero issues with my car. I am worried that there might be something wrong with my computer. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
That's very strange. Especially the code showing a problem with cylinder 7 since you have a V6. Have you tried disconnecting the battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I get home I'll check for new codes. It certainly won't hurt anything to pull the battery.

And what mods, if any have you done with your car?
No Mods, I was waiting on the warranty to run out before I got started.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still got warranty? I know what I'd do, head to the dealer..
Well I did have warranty at the beginning of the year. I am now 3000 miles past the warranty, so that won't be an option. On the plus side I am looking at what mods to start with now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for giggles, here are the first 20 codes...

P0000 - C0040 - P2200 - P0000 - P0280
C1000 - P0811 - C0001 - P1108 - P0007
P0300 - P0082 - P0100 - B0000 - P0200
P0080 - B0520 - P0000 - B2008 - C0000

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
When you say it lost power did the engine completely die or just stumble severely? If it lost power completely then I wonder if you have a loose cable connector to the ECM or another computer in the car. Those codes are pretty widespread and some of them don't obviously relate to each other so I think you might have a large connector with multiple leads running through. I'd start by checking every major connection you can get your hands on and make sure they are all secure. Look at relays under the hood and in the junction boxes too.

·
Registered
929 Posts
You don't powerwash under the hood, do you?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
You don't powerwash under the hood, do you?
This is a good question.

I know lots of people like to do this but it with the number if electronics and electrical connections on modern vehicles I just don't think it's smart to do. I realize most manufacturers use high quality weatherproof connectors now but I still think it's too risky. It isn't that big of a deal to hand clean under the hood.

·
Registered
692 Posts
was it raining when this happened? could be a connector ,check them for moisture and corrision. do a reset and drive again,when get home pull codes whether light on or not! if you get this garbage again find a pick a part and get pcm

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Step one is verifying battery charge and condition. Nothing that would leave the engine functional is likely to create a code puke like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the responses.

The engine did not die completely. I gave it a little gas, but it didn't really respond. I coasted into a parking lot, and put it in park. I popped the hood and the engine was running very rough. Almost like it wasn't firing on all cylinders. I killed the engine and restarted it without any trouble. I have driven it the last two days without a single problem.

I think the codes might be from a faulty code reader. I got home Friday night and pulled just as many codes after I had cleared them Thursday night. So, I brought it to AutoZone and they did not find any codes. At this point I can only blame my old code reader.

In answer to the other questions, I don't power wash under the hood and it wasn't raining. I actually haven't popped the hood since the last oil change 9000 miles ago. This afternoon I am going to pop the hood and start checking connections and hoses. If anyone has any recommendations where else I should look for the orange wrench issue I'd appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone and give an update. I am pretty certain the codes were due to my code reader. I dug on-line for info on the orange wrench and almost everyone pointed to the throttle body. I decided to make my first mod so I installed a BBK 1822 throttle body. When I pulled the old throttle body I noticed some build up on the inside. I probably could have gotten away with a good cleaning, but now my Mustang is a bit more spunky.

I'll post again if this didn't fix things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.