Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I broke down and HAD to upgrade something before college started up again.

I ordered 4.10 gears and called up the garage to schedule a time to drop it off (I don't have the time nor the means to install them myself unfortunately). They warned me about the ABS sensors and how they can be a struggle. I guess you have to destroy them sometimes to take out the axle.

I was told to soak the little *******s in penetrating oil sometime before bringing the car in. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I'm assuming they'd have to drain the gear oil from the diffi. Any recommendation on oil I should throw in there? I think Royal Purple makes a 75-90 gear oil... How much does a stock diffi take?

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
You'll need 3 bottles and a bottle of friction modifier. People will tell you RP already has it in there, but get it anyways. The sensors are nothing, you only need to back them out a 1/4" with a wrench to get the c-clips to drop off the diff. A gear install is not something your average shadetree mechanic should attempt without having never done it before or having an experienced hand help out, trust me!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A gear install is not something your average shadetree mechanic should attempt without having never done it before or having an experienced hand help out, trust me!
The garage(s) I go to are full of experts. I trust them. Plus, one place has about 25 Mustangs sitting around and every time I go, there's a 800hp Mustang getting something else put on it. They're great!!

So, RP requires friction modifier as well? Ok.

I also ordered a bearing kit since my car has 86k miles on it. Was that a good move or did I just waste 80$?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
just picked my car up 45 minutes ago from having my 4:10's installed. its an 01 gt with auto tranny man what a nice improvement. its real nice around town and not bad at all on the highway. you will love them. As far as the fluid I think you only need 2 bottles and the additive. I bought all the parts and paid 230.00 for the install. everything feels great and no noises.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just picked my car up 45 minutes ago from having my 4:10's installed. its an 01 gt with auto tranny man what a nice improvement. its real nice around town and not bad at all on the highway. you will love them. As far as the fluid I think you only need 2 bottles and the additive. I bought all the parts and paid 230.00 for the install. everything feels great and no noises.
I can't wait!!

Are they peppy on the highway? The 3.55s seem to be pretty peppy "from a roll." I'm not sure how it'll be with the 4.10s. I mean, it is a 13.4% increase in RPMS.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Very nice all the way around you will love them. :D

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
410s are nice i would have gone with it if i did it again, infact when i do by built axle i am going to go 410s.

3bottles of 75-140 and 5oz small bottle of friction modifier.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
They are morons if they hurt your ABS exciter rings. All it takes is a 1/4" to push the axles in and remove the c-clips. No slide hammer is required to remove these axles.

·
Banned
2,188 Posts

The rear housing takes alittle more than 2 bottles. You will certainly have some left over in the 3rd bottle though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
make sure you have limited slip additive

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The rear housing takes alittle more than 2 bottles. You will certainly have some left over in the 3rd bottle though.
Everyone I have talked to says 8.8 holds two quarts, if you search through the post here it all supports 2 quarts + the friction additive. all I know is my mechanic said the two quarts did the job. I have not actually filled it so I dont know. get 3 then your safe right.nothing like not having enough. :happy

·
Registered
392 Posts
yeah mine took 2 also but he's right better safe then sorry

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
I've filled them plenty of times, and I always fill until the fluid reaches the fill plug hole. 2.5 usually does the trick!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Motives. I already have 1000 miles on them. I love them.
+ 1 same here no complaints and mine have several track days on them

·
Registered
167 Posts
dude no way they should not in any way break your sensor... it does take 2.5 and you can use 1 bottle of friction modifier.. that the way i do them...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.