Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story, but I sold my Lotus Elise and DD VW GTI, combining both into a single car for the time being. I’m curious about feedback from those that have taken a Perf Pack V6 out on the road course. I’ve been doing HPDE’s for years, an occasional “24 of Lemons” race, and am a track day Instructor with multiple clubs. I’m not trying to impress anyone, but just mention it as specific feedback on balance, under/oversteer, technique is appreciated. I’m aware of the 114 speed limiter and software options, but til that, curious as to how many revs it knocks you back once you hit it.

Bang for the buck, numbers wise, the V6 Perf Pack is an awesome “swiss army knife” do it all car, and I looked at them all, pouring over all the details and specs. Any real road course driver only needs 300 HP anyways, right ;-)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found this tidbit below, here 2011 Ford Mustang Gets New 305 HP V6, 30 MPG

"What we are interested in is the rather off-hand comment from one of the engineers regarding the track pack. Optional on the V6, the track pack turns things up a notch and makes it a track-day special. Said unnamed engineer mentioned there's a distinct possibility the track-pack equipped V6 will not only stick with the V8 track-pack 'Stang, it might even outrun it. Well, we would certainly be happy to test that theory out."

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I will repeat myself here again, but the V6 PP has a VERY big edge in the G-Stock Autocross class.

My raw times beat 3/4 Corvettes that raced. Most have been racing AutoX for a while. One was a turbod and modded vette, of which I was less than .3s slower in a 2 lap run... having never raced Autocross before.

One person put it perfectly when he said that Ford put together the perfect DD + track car. He said it handled better than his 07 GT500!

With the weight to wheel balance, rigid frame and full GT/GT500 suspension on the lighter car you almost have to test drive it to feel the true handling this guy has :) In fact, my favorite part of the car is the handling. I can take in-city turns going 25mph without an ounce of body roll, squeel or rattle. It's pure road symphony!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome feedback, glad to hear from someone off the road course / autoX persuasion. I read and re read your post. Pretty dramatic results from the car / driver! Can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
The main reason why I went for the PP instead of the base + modded suspension was because it had a rigid suspension without sacrificing the valuable vehicle height, which is a necessity for where I live.

One could achieve better handling with aftermarket items, sure, but this is a very balanced and fun out-of-the-box setup that not only will shock people at the track when you tell them it's a V6 but also turn heads with the uniqueness of a stock option :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
169 Posts
For running this at a road course, it will have to have the speed limiter raised or removed. 110 or so is just not enough unless you are at a very tight course. The spec Miata runs a top speed of 115 and the owners feel it is just not enough.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
That's a given. Note it's set to 144 mph, not 110.
Also, Ford rates their driveshaft to 115-120mph. So, if you plan on doing road racing like Tom had mentioned, I cannot suggest strongly enough getting an aluminum/carbon fiber driveshaft.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's a given. Note it's set to 144 mph, not 110.
I'm sorry, I was going off of your original post and after rereading it, you said that there is a speed limiter of 114mph. If you have a limiter of 144, that is plenty fast for most tracks.

I am interested in what you do with this car and the V6. I know that it has as near as much power as the older GT.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry, I was going off of your original post and after rereading it, you said that there is a speed limiter of 114mph. If you have a limiter of 144, that is plenty fast for most tracks.

I am interested in what you do with this car and the V6. I know that it has as near as much power as the older GT.
Oops, you're right and I'm wrong ... I meant to type 114, not the 144.

And yep, the driveshaft is limiting factor, would need to be upgraded, thanks 2VipeRS.

If all goes well, I'll order the car Monday. First I'll AutoX to get the feel of it overall. I'm nothing exceptional there, but do AutoX as a break from road course / push me outta' my comfort zone.

From there, back to road course fun.

Just got back from Gingerman in MI for a 24 Hours of Lemons in an old 6 series BMW. Good car, but we added a fuel cell and had supply issues given some Frankensteining of fuel pumps. Spent 4 hours of a 16 hour race on the sidelines, came in 33rd out of 65 starters ... so so but hey, we finished and still a ton of fun, lots of seat time.

Somehow being 3 wide going into a turn sure is a lot more fun when it's in a beat up Lemons car!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've autcrossed my car twice so far and have put it through some higher speed turns (very tight highway on ramps, country twisty roads, parking lots... ) and the car is pretty damn balanced.

This is a great car to DD and run in autocross, stock or modified. The car will understeer a little on very tight autocross corners.

I can't say at this point as to what I will do with my car, but I want to keep it relatively stock until I get a real good feel with it to decide what I want to upgrade. I have a feeling the first thing I do is adjustable dampers at all four corners.

I have not yet been able to push this car yet to the point I felt uncomfortable in turns. I know there is a limit, but I have not gotten there.

Anything thing with this car is that it has good power. The car can easily fool most people, but I have raced quite a few other Fords and GMs through 2nd gear and either beat them or hung side by side.

This car will be a DD/autocross car for me as well.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Maybe this may help paint a picture:

Last event I went to I drove circles around a 2011 Roush RS3 and ran just as fast as most of the Miatas and Minis (stock and lightly modified).

All I have done to my car is a shifter bracket and a stainless steel braided hydraulic clutch line.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Out of the box, the V6 PP car is a sweet deal... suspension, rear end, tires, brakes. I was looking for one last fall but I didn't see on in the flesh until this summer.

I finally drove one at the track with some sticky tires and was impressed. I'm not sold that it would outrun a 5.0 on track but it'll give the old 4.6 a fit.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I took my V6 Mustang out to mufflerbearing's Open Lapping event yesterday and was blown away by the performance and power of the 3.7L PP. It's a wonderful 'gettin started' kind of car with the exception of one thing: brake pads.

Ford's "High Performance" pads that come with just don't cut it. Sure, they worked, but there was a good amount of fade and they felt like pushing to pieces of foam against the rotors after the second corner. They can't handle the heat of a track.

The stock PZeros stuck amazingly well for being street tires, but they were still street tires, so I couldn't get the grip like most other people running R compounds.

Suspension. There was a bit of body roll... compared to a fully adjustable suspension car, but she handled those corners OHHH SO WELL. Ford really out did themselves with such a brilliant suspension :yelpleased:

Tire pressure. This is one of the MOST crucial things for grip out there. Just 1PSI difference will make a person understeer or oversteer. Here is what I used with good results: Cold fill - 42PSI front & 37PSI rear, 1 hour after racing (warm) - 45PSI front & 40PSI rear.

She is a gem!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sweet looking car, clean without the wing!
A pad upgrade and maybe some slotted disks will help but brake ducts make a big difference too- hard to run those on a street car though.

Keep the car as-is for a while. The tendency is to upgrade your suspension and tires. Learn your car then as you get speed, you can make upgrades.

Tires make the biggest difference. The group I instruct for bans R tires and near race tires for novice groups unless it came OEM.

Isn't the PP on the 3.7 a version of the GT package? Thicker bars and tighter springs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts