Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i need a timing light and saw one today at o'riely for only 40 bucks.. is this a ok timing light? i dont need anything serious just something that will work..

·
Registered
781 Posts
I bought one off of ebay, 7 bucks to my door, its old butt works, its just a flickering light, 40 bucks in actually expensive...........

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Chances are it would be enough for most. If you spend a LOT of time under hoods and tuning your car or even others, you should then get a professional light. Mine cost $110 with a digital readout to check and adjust the advance, and tach read out. $40 isn't too bad of a price.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 1 year warranty.. but sounds like an ok price, ill have to pick one up..

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chances are it would be enough for most. If you spend a LOT of time under hoods and tuning your car or even others, you should then get a professional light. Mine cost $110 with a digital readout to check and adjust the advance, and tach read out. $40 isn't too bad of a price.

There he goes throwing that high dollar timing light in my face again....:gringreen

My old craftsman won't die.......:)

the o'reily light should be good for what you need......

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i just got the light and how do i know what degree the timing is at? it has no display...

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
There he goes throwing that high dollar timing light in my face again....:gringreen

My old craftsman won't die.......:)

the o'reily light should be good for what you need......
:hihi: :nogrinner

ok so i just got the light and how do i know what degree the timing is at? it has no display...
That's when you have to make sure you can read the timing marks on the balancer and set it that way.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha the reason it wast working is because i couldnt see the timing marks and numbers, so i took some white plastic crayon and filled in the marks and rubbed off the rest, worked great!

but i had one problem: I advanced the timing to 14 degree's, and when i re-connected the spout connector it went to 24 degrees.. what the heck?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha the reason it wast working is because i couldnt see the timing marks and numbers, so i took some white plastic crayon and filled in the marks and rubbed off the rest, worked great!

but i had one problem: I advanced the timing to 14 degree's, and when i re-connected the spout connector it went to 24 degrees.. what the heck?

no that is fine.....

when you pulled in the spout the the vacuum advance took over......

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Yup, that's normal and is supposed to happen.

*ahem... that's something my high dollar light can check too*

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
It's still at 14 base timing, the 24 is 10 degrees advance being added to it at idle by the computer. If you want to check, pull the spout out and then see if it reads 14.

·
Registered
912 Posts
i have a snap on timing light that you tell it what you want the advance to be and you turn the distributor untill your at 0 on the crank, good stuff, makes it easy to do it also has a tach and allp the other fancy stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts