Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What other mods will need to be done with the installation of 4.10 gears? Will I need to get a flash tuner, recalibrate the speedo? How will this mod affect my top end? Just trying to make the most with the little horsepower I've got. Already have Flowmasters, and K&N on my 02 GT AOD. Not lookin to go to the strip, but I just want to be able to smoke the Camaros, GTOs, etc. when they get cocky on the street. :sterb:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
4.10s if you are a daily driver might be a bit much, i personally am going with 390s soon. its just right between 373s and 410. Unlesss you plan on going 200mph should be to bad top end loss.... also mpg will drop some due to higher revs cruising.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it doesnt see too many miles since I drive truck. Ithink I've put about 2000 miles on it this year and it won't see many more, so mileage isn't exactly a concern. I thought about 3.73s but I want all the snap off the line I can get without being ridiculous seeing as how I'm almost stock. Will a flash tuner be required to get the most from these or any gear upgrade? :green

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just did the 4:10 upgrade on a manual and it was a huge difference. I am in 4th and 5th a lot more and with the factory 3:27's i was at [email protected] in 5th gear now it's about [email protected] mph. I went to chigaco and back and thats about a 180 mile one way doing about 72mph and i got about 25mpg. So it's not a horrible loss.. However i really didn't own the car that long to see what it did on the highway before.. I did have to use a programmer to calibrate the spedo tho.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yea, i agree, my car with stock 327s on a trip i did i think averaged about 28mph. to be honest it was winter so i had no a/c and i had CAI and Cat Back at the time. This was a entire trip on hiway.

but you gotta think on a daily driver how your mpg will be affected. especially with Gas $ today.

2.55 for 87
2.65 for 89
2.75 for 93

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah this is true. I have been getting around 21mpg in town not stellar but better than what the window sticker.. Now when I say 21mpg that is NO racing or anything like that.. However if i just run the hell out of the car i have seen as bad as 16.9mpg. So it can get worse :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Silver03gt, how did you get the HP/TQ numbers you put in your sig with the mods you have?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Underw0rld said:
Silver03gt, how did you get the HP/TQ numbers you put in your sig with the mods you have?
Actually i suck at the track as of now. I used to have a all wheel drive car so that would just hook up no matter what. Now i actually have to work at it.. heh. I am sure that it would do better but the driver is the problem in this case.. As far as the numbers i really did nothing more than i listed. And from what i could see the car was completly stock when i bought it with 53k miles.

Here are the dyno sheets to show the numbers..
Baseline- http://www.solarvisionqc.com/baselinedyno.bmp
Final Pull after Diablo Custom tune- http://www.solarvisionqc.com/finaldynopull.bmp
Numbers over all RPM- http://www.solarvisionqc.com/dynototals.bmp

The above are large files but are easier to see than the ones that i tried to make smaller from the originals.

Damon

·
Registered
154 Posts
right on man!, you got pretty lucky to put down such good numbers with minimal mods. :thumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks! After what i had been reading i was very surprised. :D

Of course the supercharger is next. Planning on doing that this winter. Should be a fun project. Sure beats trying to build a damn import thats for sure..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.