Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1966 Mustang Coupe (not a fastback). When we try using the decoding sites to decode the data plate, it tells us that either our car does not exist or it is a hybrid of a 1966 coupe and 1968 fastback. The warranty number is 6K40S165101.
The other numbers read left to right as follows: 63D 86 15A 530169 4 5.
I THINK they are as follows : Body: 63D Color: 8 Trim: 6 Date: 15A DSO: 530169 Axle: 4 Trans: 5
But when I put them into the online translator they don’t match up. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
63D- Two door hardtop bench seat. Trim code -86- black vinyl.15 A- Date code January 15th 1966. 53- DSO Oakland. 0169-?. 4- 3.25 ratio open dif. 5-4-speed manual.War number is: 6-1966, K-assembly plant Kansas City,0S- body serial code( should be 07). 165101- consectutive unit number. From my 65 shop manual.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) That door tag is off of a 66 Fairlane that was came with a 390 4bbl, 4-speed built in Kansas City. The only plants that built Mustangs were Dearborn, San Jose and Metuchan, NJ. If you'll look under the hood, on the drivers side, between the second and third from the front of those six bolts holding the fender on, near that notch in the fender lip, you will see the actual vin of your car. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, still a bit confused

Thanks, the number on the fender is gone. Is there some reason that the data plate on the door would have been changed? The VIN on the title matches the number on the door. I am confused I guess.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) How that tag came to be there, I couldn't really say, :nogrinner but, that vin is a 66 Fairlane. The vin on the Mustang is also in two other spots, but you have to pull the fenders back to see it. One will be on the driver's side, about 18 inches back from where the first vin was supposed to be, sort of near the hood hinge, underneath the lip of the fender. You should see a date code stamping kind of sticking out from under the lip of the fender there. It is also on the passenger side, in the same area kind of near the hood hinge, underneath the lip of the fender. But, the vin that you have on that title and door tag is definitely a 66 Fairlane vin.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
You really need to keep these facts secret unless you intend to sell it or something. Remember that news bit about the lady who almost lost her 'stang after having had it for more than 30 years cuz it was stolen? Well, that VIN tag didn't get there all by itself, and so far you are lucky that the title was registered in your name without the clerk noticing that it was actually a Fairlane model Mustang :scratchchin! Considering that Mustang doors don't match Fairlane doors this was no accident based upon getting a scrap yard door to repair collision damage or something. It had to have been removed from a Fairlane and attached to your Mustang!

Harry

·
Registered
131 Posts
What Veronica says is true...the VIN is stamped on the inner fender aprons and is hidden by the fenders. If you loosen the upper fender bolts you should be able to uncover it, but you may have to wire wheel some paint off the fender apron to read it. If the phony VIN plate was put on because it was wrecked...keep in mind the fender VINs might not be right either (or even there) if they rebuilt the whole front end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.