Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night around 12-1A.M when there was no one on the streets, I pulled up to a stop light and an older rx-7 pulled up beside me. Well he decided he wanted to race, since the streets were dead anyways I decided "why not". well the light hit green and I launched off the line almost perfect, I was actually impressed with myself LoL, but I took off and we stayed dead even for just a bit then I just left him in the dust. I definately would have smoked him in a full quarter mile.
I just thought I would let you guys know...
I thought those rotary engines were quicker than that.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Not really, stock the older rx7's 79-85 came with a 1.1 liter (12a) motor rated at 110hp the 85 gslse(say that five times quick lol) came with a 1.3 liter(13b) motor that was rated at 135hp and the 2nd gen rx7's (86-91?) came with a 13b with 147,160(later models), and 180-200 in the turbo 2 models. They're fun motors to tinker with, me and my boy have one right now, we launch at 11,000 rpm's! Fun indeed but the downfall is that they don't last that long compared to a piston motor and they're loud as hell!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I test drove an rx-8 when they first came out, and it was QUICK, it was like driving a motorcycle on 4 wheels. the thing with those cars is they might not have a lot of horsepower but their light cars, and not sure about the rx-7s but the rx-8s are actually considered mid-engine cars... Just thought I'd throw that in there!

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Wat to go. Got to be careful for the cops in those early morning hours.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Yeah the new rx8 actually come with 247 but was than lowered to [email protected]'s due to the cars not quite being up to snuff. They definetly feel sporty though. Either way good kill :bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
It is all good as long as you come out on top.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not really, stock the older rx7's 79-85 came with a 1.1 liter (12a) motor rated at 110hp the 85 gslse(say that five times quick lol) came with a 1.3 liter(13b) motor that was rated at 135hp and the 2nd gen rx7's (86-91?) came with a 13b with 147,160(later models), and 180-200 in the turbo 2 models. They're fun motors to tinker with, me and my boy have one right now, we launch at 11,000 rpm's! Fun indeed but the downfall is that they don't last that long compared to a piston motor and they're loud as hell!
What you guys got done to that rx7 to Launch at 11k? I would think that if you hooked, it would destroy your drivetrain, and if it didnt hook, it would destroy your tires. I used to have a 1986 GXL, I loved the car to death, but then a coolant seal went, so I ended up selling it. I would have never tried to race a v8 mustang in my rx7, two completely different cars, one with big displacement and lots of torque, the other with very little displacement and hardly any torque.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
We have two bridge ports on the outer housings, with a holley 600, headers and a custom exhaust that has 2 2 inch pipes from the header goin into a 3 1/2 inch pipe ending in a dynomax 3 inch bullet muffler, and two msd 6al's. The tranny is bone stock with the exception of an ACT disc(stock pressure plate), the rearend WAS stock with gears and axles from a gslse(4.07) and stoc wheels with 22x8 m&h slicks at the time. We ran the hell out of it never broke anything but when we took out the stock diff and took it apart the axles were twisting pretty bad lol. Now we have a ford 9" with 6.00(whoo hoo!) gears in it with m/t 26x8 drag slicks. We ran at the track 1/8 mile and did 7.89 with a 1.60 60 ft. the launch honestly scared the crap out of me lmao. Not bad for a 1.1 liter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.