Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
want advice about fan change, where can i found a good fan and what fan can i use??? Is there a trick to use better fan on low speed/temp? And can i use a 5.0l fan, they have 2 speed too?
My understanding is that two wire comes to a temperature sensor put before the fan connector and three wire comes out of this sensor, if i bypass this sensor i will need a better fan or use only high speed? I live in the north so fan is not needed every day.

And i share my problem maybe it will help someone.

car was overheating and i notice that the fan was not working, that was a contact problem, was happy fan worked well all the summer till i got stuck in the trafic and went over the L of normal. It cool down back home and no problem. There i open the hood and check it and all becomes funny cause in the beginning i was looking to correct the first problem (connector). So i played about an hour with the connector and my brain was not understanding the problem... Fan was working not working working again. My brain took about an another hour to understand the problem, it was not working on high speed. So when it reach high temp fan stop working cause high speed is not working. At this moment my brain said, clear some frustation by using a hammer on it. It worked and i have high speed now but i will have to change the fan anyway after the winter.
tips 1. fan can be working but when really needed it could stop working.
tips 2. When using a hammer check the belt cause with some help a hammer can fly...

·
Registered
30 Posts
So where is the high/low speed sensor. I see 2 on top of the engine. Mine only seems to see a single speed. Low I would guess since that's all I've seen. I'm assuming high speed really turns it fast where it would make a lot of air noise.

Also have you found the hi/lo relay? There are 2 relays under the hood in the fuse box, I haven't found out which is which.

Funny with the hammer, I'm not sure what you hit.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine's a 97. I did go through the CD a bit more this afternoon. Found the Control Relay module, on the RH side fender. Nothing on testing, etc. Also think I found the temp sensor for the CRM, it;s the one a little more on the right side (2 are close to the center). The one on the drivers side indicated to be the temp gauge sensor. Also found this on the CD...darn thing doesn't come on until 221 degrees??? Shuts off at 200 degrees? Hard to tell if the fan motor actually cuts off over 48 mph. Haven't found anything about the settings for the 2 sweed fan, but see below it describes a 2 speed fan. I would love to understand the 2 speed function.

The cooling fan motor is controlled during vehicle operation by the constant control relay module (CCRM) (12B581) and powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) which energizes the cooling fan motor under the following conditions:
l When the engine temperature is higher than normal the cooling fan motor starts operating at 105°C (221°F) and stops when temperature drops to 94°C (200°F).

l When vehicle A/C is on and vehicle speed does not provide enough natural airflow, the cooling fan motor starts running at or below 69 km/h (43 mph) and stops at 77 km/h (48 mph).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cooling Fan, Electric
The system has a dual-speed cooling fan motor attached to the fan shroud behind the radiator (8005).
Normal operation and cycling of the cooling fan motor will cause the temperature gauge indicator to read:
l between the mid-point and upper portion of the temperature gauge scale.

l slightly higher indicator reading will return to mid-point when cooling fan motor operation begins.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical System
Note:
Cooling fan motor will not cycle with the A/C clutch (2884) on when vehicle speed is over 72 km/h (45 mph) and coolant temperature is below 104°C (220°F). The cooling fan motor will then automatically shut off.

The cooling fan motor is mounted within a fan shroud (8146) behind the radiator (8005). The constant control relay module (CCRM) (12B581) actuates the cooling fan motor:
l when the coolant reaches a specified temperature.

l when the engine reaches a specified speed.

l when the A/C clutch is activated (if equipped), and vehicle speed is below 72 km/h (45 mph).

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can trying a hot wire with a switch to the fan. Use a relay. Also you might change the thermostat and put in a lower range temp sensor. ...........

·
Registered
899 Posts
You can trying a hot wire with a switch to the fan. Use a relay. Also you might change the thermostat and put in a lower range temp sensor. ...........
Look at the date of the posts.... I hope his problem has been taken care of by now. ;)

But thanks for the input. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep fixed...replaced the head gaskits. Been good for some time. In the mean time I added a 98 v6 stang to the stable for my soon to be 16yo daughter. $2800 for the 3.8 silver, 16" wheels, black leather, factory cd player. 96,500 miles and only 2 owners. A few bumps and bruises but it drives really nice. 16" tires a more expensive than my sons 97.

Rob

·
Registered
649 Posts
Geez back from the dead.......

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yep fixed...replaced the head gaskits. Been good for some time. In the mean time I added a 98 v6 stang to the stable for my soon to be 16yo daughter. $2800 for the 3.8 silver, 16" wheels, black leather, factory cd player. 96,500 miles and only 2 owners. A few bumps and bruises but it drives really nice. 16" tires a more expensive than my sons 97.

Rob
Good to hear. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 95 Mustang GT and the wires got cut by my belt and I need a new wiring harness for my cooling fan. I have looked all over the salvage yards here and have had no luck can anyone point me in a direction where I can find one of these please.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.