Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
I went on the track yesterday and after the 3rd lap, the watertemp. goes up near to redline.
Always when i hit 7000rpm, the temp goes high, so i have to do a cool down lap...ok, outside temp was high as well, 33 degree.
But is this normal? I bought the car to go on track, but if i always have this troubles....

Somebody else with the same problems?

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
yes I have heard of this problem with Coyote cars on the road track, and the supercharger makes it worse . . . I don't think I have seen any supercharged Mustang at the track that does not have heat soak or overheating issues . . . user "pikapp" on this forum has conquered it on his 4.6 race car, try searching for his posts and you can probably find what he did . . . there was one just yesterday or the day before if I remember correctly

I think "department of boost" might have some cooling improvements available that might help, check out their web site

Reactions: my89foxbody

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for your answer! I will have look on Pikapp`s posts!

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
You need the biggest radiator you can get, the biggest heat exchanger you can get, a hood with lots of heat vents that draw (Race Spec Hoods). I also upgraded to a higher output radiator fan, and a colder thermostat but I’m not sure those are helpful on a track.

The stock radiator is a joke for track use. Mine (Track-Pack car) came with the Boss radiator which is much better, but not enough for an FI car running on a track.

Upgrade your S/C water pump, and if you have the money, upgrade to a DOB intake/intercooler and get the composite heat barrier. In fact, you can put together a complete S/C cooling kit from DOB (sans hood/radiator) that will put a smile on your face. Just don’t neglect the radiator and hood. An ample oil cooler would be a good idea too, but I haven’t had the need so I can attest to their effectiveness.

The Roush TVS is a great S/C, but the heat exchanger is woefully Inadequate for track use. When I installed mine, I upgraded the above items from the start (Except the hood).

You’re still going to need an auxiliary exhaust fan to cool down when the car isn’t moving (between runs).

Just my 2¢, I’m not an expert.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phuu, sounds great:(
So you do not have any cooling probs anymore?

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
Phuu, sounds great:(
So you do not have any cooling probs anymore?
Never had any to begin with. I preemptively upgraded all systems at the same time or before I went FI. Also consider that I don’t run on a track. If I did, I’d likely be taking additional steps. Sadly, it’s all (well, mostly) about the money...

The fact is, FI produces heat and with current technology it will always be an issue. The entire drivetrain produces gobs of heat in a racing environment. Heat has to be mitigated as much as possible (including oil). Adding a supercharger increases the heat load on an already marginal (for racing) cooling system. Just slapping on any S/C Kit, and tracking the car as is, will likely be problematic. These kits come with the bare minimum to get you up and running. This MAY work for you in your daily driver, or may not, but they’re certainly not suited for racing as is.

I also bought a Kit, but I didn’t use everything, I upgraded even before the install. The KIT is a “Beginners Starter Kit” as far as I’m concerned, and not suited for heavy duty track use as is. You will easily double the cost of the kit when adding decent upgrades.

Do your research. I won’t go into a lot of specifics because I’m not a track runner. Do everything possible to mitigate heat. It can be done, but not without complications, and money.

Again, I’m not an expert, this is just my current personal opinion.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for your comment! Its a bit strange, only in higher RPM`s(above 6k) in 4 and 5th gear i have this problem.
But at speeds around 180-260kmh, the wind should be enough to cool the engine down, isn`t it?

In the mountains, i do not have this problem, because i use only 2nd and 3rd gear...but the load is high as well!

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
The higher the rpm, the higher the boost / heat. No surprises there. I Highly recommend you upgrade your radiator/fan and heat exchanger to the largest capacities possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello guys
I went on the track yesterday and after the 3rd lap, the watertemp. goes up near to redline.
Always when i hit 7000rpm, the temp goes high, so i have to do a cool down lap...ok, outside temp was high as well, 33 degree.
But is this normal? I bought the car to go on track, but if i always have this troubles....

Somebody else with the same problems?
Hot days are never good track days ever! but if you insist you need to look at cooling components.... Track cars usually have ice tanks and other systems i personally have the Killer Chiller, also upgraded my Radiator, i'm looking to upgrade my fans now. I dont know what your running but heat isnt boost whether either! good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts