Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading the owners manual (Imagine that).
And I dont know if this new or not but it I never heard of this.
If the engine starts to overheat it switches to a failsafe mode.
It starts to alternate cylinder firing thereby using the cylinders as cooling.
If you continue to overheat the engine will shut off.
I thought that was kewl.
Anyone ever heard of this before 05?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I heard of something like that on the Cadillac Northstar engines several years ago. But I think that was for fuel economy and not for cooling purposes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Last month while having the car on the dyno the over heat protection kicked in. The engine was put under a long hard pull for around two mins and then given a 5 min cool down. On the second pull the engine started to lose power and speed about half way thru the 2 min run. The computer was ruducing power by closing the throttle and increasing the fuel to cool the cylinders. This info showed up on the air/fuel readings. First time I have seen this happen on a engine. Its a great way to keep from losing an engine due to a faulty gauge or sending unit. JMO

·
Registered
419 Posts
Cadillac

Waxed'05 GT said:
I heard of something like that on the Cadillac Northstar engines several years ago. But I think that was for fuel economy and not for cooling purposes.
The Cadillac Northstar alternating cylinder firing was a limp-home mode for when the engine was overheating and in danger of failing. It would get you home or to a garage. It's been around for awhile I think.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Supposedly on the Caddy you could drive 50 miles with no engine coolant.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It's pretty common on new cars. You see it on the v6s and v8s. I guess it's hard to make a 4cyl un on 2 cyl!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts