Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently bought a 2005 mustang deluxe gt, and I was wondering if anyone else gets these codes. I have no other codes and checked the cams and the timing and it seems fine, is there another cause?
053CFE35-F9BE-48C2-B6A9-73E24EFB43DE.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
try a search in this forum and I think you might find some existing threads discussing those codes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try a search in this forum and I think you might find some existing threads discussing those codes
Hi, Those articles had other codes along with it, I ONLY have that p0011 and p0021 codes and nothing else

·
Registered
699 Posts

I replaced both my VCT solenoids a few years ago without removing the valve covers by using the method in this video:
Here's the bit driver I used:
and here's the VCT solenoid and replacement grommets:
Amazon.com: Ford VCT Variable Camshaft Timing Control Solenoid Valve Cover Seal Gaskets OEM: Automotive
and torque spec for the VCT solenoid is 41 lb-in.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
P0011 - Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 1

P0021 - Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 2

It's rather unusual to have overadvanced cam position codes on both banks but it can happen. The cams are normally in the advanced position when parked so it seems that they aren't retarding when they should. This suggests that there may be inadequate oil flow to the phasers due to stuck VCT solenoids.
Try disconnecting the wiring connectors to both solenoids and run the engine. If there's no change you've found the problem.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I also replaced the VCT solenoids easily in my 3V F150 without taking off the valve covers. You need a very long skinny T27 torx bit or key.
Both of my solenoids were shot as they were cheap aftermarket replacements(not put in by me as I only use Ford parts) but the driver side was worse. They acted up when it was really hot out and would make the truck barely run until I got airflow going at speed which I assume then cooled off the oil or engine compartment enough to make them work again. It was a weird problem that was frustrating until I figured out the VCT solenoids were the issue.
Only buy Ford solenoids and learn from what happened to my truck with the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
P0011 - Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 1

P0021 - Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 2

It's rather unusual to have overadvanced cam position codes on both banks but it can happen. The cams are normally in the advanced position when parked so it seems that they aren't retarding when they should. This suggests that there may be inadequate oil flow to the phasers due to stuck VCT solenoids.
Try disconnecting the wiring connectors to both solenoids and run the engine. If there's no change you've found the problem.
Hi, Just replaced the VCT solenoids today, It is perfect when revving high and all that , But as soon as i start the car again it comes on with the codes

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Do you mean the car drives normal but still registers codes? If so, then you have to clear the codes witch a scanner, software, or disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you mean the car drives normal but still registers codes? If so, then you have to clear the codes witch a scanner, software, or disconnecting the battery.
Yes, it drives great but the code keeps coming back after I clear it with my ODB2 scanner, No issues at all revs good and doesnt stall easy

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, it may seem to run fine but you still have over advanced timing or the codes wouldn't be coming back. Very good chance that it's the cam phasers. How many miles on this car? If they are the originals then it makes sense. Ford redesigned them after they were found to be subpar. Being a 2005 they would have been the first bad design before the revision. If you buy the replacement Ford phasers now they will be the more reliable version.
Like already mentioned it could be an oil pressure issue too. Low pressure to the VCT solenoids will cause these codes. If your 3V engine hasn't had the timing components changed and it's over 100k miles then you are due. Due to extreme wear my engine broke apart the plastic guides and littered my oil pan and pump with plastic bits while also skipping a couple teeth on the timing chain. Beware of this and do not let it go. I did and it cost me big. If you have about 150k or more then you are in the danger zone. The timing kit is about $800 for the complete kit of Ford made parts it's but over $1000 in labor to pay a shop to do it. It's 8 or 9 hours of labor as I recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it may seem to run fine but you still have over advanced timing or the codes wouldn't be coming back. Very good chance that it's the cam phasers. How many miles on this car? If they are the originals then it makes sense. Ford redesigned them after they were found to be subpar. Being a 2005 they would have been the first bad design before the revision. If you buy the replacement Ford phasers now they will be the more reliable version.
Like already mentioned it could be an oil pressure issue too. Low pressure to the VCT solenoids will cause these codes. If your 3V engine hasn't had the timing components changed and it's over 100k miles then you are due. Due to extreme wear my engine broke apart the plastic guides and littered my oil pan and pump with plastic bits while also skipping a couple teeth on the timing chain. Beware of this and do not let it go. I did and it cost me big. If you have about 150k or more then you are in the danger zone. The timing kit is about $800 for the complete kit of Ford made parts it's but over $1000 in labor to pay a shop to do it. It's 8 or 9 hours of labor as I recall.
I am at 93k original miles on the 2005 mustang, Is it hard to change the phasers?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
It isn't hard to change the phasers but watch Ford Tech Makuloco's excellent YouTube videos on how to perform the procedure. Don't use anything other than Ford Performance phasers and new TTY phaser bolts.
At 93k miles your engine is rather low mileage to need new phasers but if any of the previous owners drove it hard or didn't keep up with the oil changes, they could have failed prematurely. There are plenty of 05/06 engines still running the original phasers at 150+k miles but I'd say that it would be wise to refresh the valvetrain by replacing all the timing components plus the lash adjusters/cam followers at the 150k mile mark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts