Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just replaced my fuel filter a few days ago and ran some synthetic fuel injector cleaner through my system. Yesterday a CEL came on with the following DTCs:
P0133 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response
P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response

Since it is the same code with different numbers I imagine it is one for each of the 02 sensors. My question is why? Of course I have longer than normal 02 harnesses because of the LTs but that shouldn't affect it. I jsut got a Brenspeed tune a couple weeks ago too and cleaned my air filter and MAF sensor but all has been well until I replaced the fuel filter. Just wanted your guys' input before I cleared them out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the same issue and it is tune related. Mine has to do with the long tube headers. Going to a speed shop for some dyne time to fix the program.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know. I am going to call Brenspeed tomorrow and let them know. They need to modify my tune anyways cuz I just ordered a CAI.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Which intake did you get?
I ended up going with the Steeda 90mm with the large elbow. I was really really wanting to get the WMS Racing one but opted for something a little easier to install since I have my shaker. This one will be plenty big while I remain N/A and contemplate how to build my monster street engine...:bounce2: Doing some major reading right now...

Dave at Brenspeed told me those two DTCs are usually associated with something weird if the headers were accounted for in the tune. In this case, the fuel injector cleaner. I am going to get a fresh tank of gas and reset and see how it goes.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only if the O2 sensors had become contaminated.
Yeah I don't see how that would have happened. Its good to remove the variables and see where I end up. My guess is the tune will still probably need a little tweaking.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
think replacing the O2 sensors or cleaning them would solve the issue?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
think replacing the O2 sensors or cleaning them would solve the issue?
Well I didn't clean the 02 sensors when I bolted them into my headers a month ago. I can't remember but I think they didn't look too terribly dirty. What would you clean them with? Carb cleaner?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You really can't clean O2 sensors.
That's why I was wondering what you would clean them with. They worked flawlessly before the headers. Its either the tune or a fuel injector cleaner I will never use again. It did have some kind of octane boost stuff in it so maybe that was just enough to confuse the O2s.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
The only thing you can do to clean an O2 sensor is to heat it with a blow torch to burn off any carbon deposits. I've heard of people soaking them in gasoline overnight, but that really does nothing at all.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Help!!!

Ok guys this is weird. This keeps coming up intermittently and it is pissing me off. Did it ever since I put my long tubes on (has been about 3 months now). I thought maybe I had some exhaust leaks so I tightened everything up...don't see how I have any. Talked with Brenspeed and the tune is spot on. Last time I reset the codes only one of them came on P0153. Reset them again and nothing for about 5 days. Today got the CEL again this time it was both of them P0133 & P0153 along with an additional one, P0152. I didn't have any codes before the LTs and the new custom tune. I am at a loss here. Should I replace the O2s and see if that does anything or do you think it could be the MAF sensor or is Brenspeed feeding me BS? Car has ~48k miles on it. It runs great I am just tired of this annoying CEL... :banghead:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok guys this is weird. This keeps coming up intermittently and it is pissing me off. Did it ever since I put my long tubes on (has been about 3 months now). I thought maybe I had some exhaust leaks so I tightened everything up...don't see how I have any. Talked with Brenspeed and the tune is spot on. Last time I reset the codes only one of them came on P0153. Reset them again and nothing for about 5 days. Today got the CEL again this time it was both of them P0133 & P0153 along with an additional one, P0152. I didn't have any codes before the LTs and the new custom tune. I am at a loss here. Should I replace the O2s and see if that does anything or do you think it could be the MAF sensor or is Brenspeed feeding me BS? Car has ~48k miles on it. It runs great I am just tired of this annoying CEL... :banghead:

If it truly started when the long tubes where installed I would still say its a tune issue....BUT if the O2's got contaminated with the fuel injector cleaner somehow that could cause it. I know you hate to hear it but I would change the O2's (with O2's from the dealership) and if that doesn't take care of it the its the tune.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered a new set of Motorcraft O2 sensors. If this doesn't fix it then I will be banging on Brenspeed's door...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I see that another fellow stanger has this issue as well so I figured I would complete the story....

Doug at Brenspeed told me that 90% of the time you actually do not need a tune for long tubes. Case and point: I ran the same tune before and after the install, which was the canned 93 SCT tune. The only thing you have to do is shut off the rear O2's with the tuner if you do not have them installed. As long as your midpipe has provisions for the rear O2s, you don't need the tuner at all in most cases. I only started having problems with my tune after I installed my first custom tune from Brenspeed. Now there is an exception to this, of course. When installing LTs you relocate your front O2s to the midpipe. 90% of computers can tolerate this move. The other 10% don't tolerate it as well and will require a tune adjustment due to the placement.

Solution: I replaced my O2s and after a week my CEL finally cleared by itself. I still had Doug send me an updated tune just in case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to have the same issue after I installed my JBA long tube headers. It was fairly intermittant, normally only when car was cold but went away on it's own eventually after a couple of months...

From personal experiance- Don't put any additive (octane booster) in your tank. I fouled all my plugs. If you want more octane use race gas. Come to think about it, possibly the octane boost that fouled my plugs was causing the slow to respond O2 error. Possibly running the car with no additive eventually burned off the coating (on the sensor on the CAT's) of whatever is in the booster stuff.

I would run clean gas for on a couple long trips at hi speed or hi RPM on a hot day.

Anyway my 2cents

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to have the same issue after I installed my JBA long tube headers. It was fairly intermittant, normally only when car was cold but went away on it's own eventually after a couple of months...

From personal experiance- Don't put any additive (octane booster) in your tank. I fouled all my plugs. If you want more octane use race gas. Come to think about it, possibly the octane boost that fouled my plugs was causing the slow to respond O2 error. Possibly running the car with no additive eventually burned off the coating (on the sensor on the CAT's) of whatever is in the booster stuff.

I would run clean gas for on a couple long trips at hi speed or hi RPM on a hot day.

Anyway my 2cents
I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the particular placement and flow of the JBA headers. I have a set, you have a set, and the guy that is having the same problem has a set. Sounds too coincidental to me...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine is JBA Long tubes and I am having the problem but I think my tuner has the fix. He said that he modified the tune to adaptively learn the O2 delay. So far, it is working great......just a little FYI for the JBA guys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts