Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a mustang that only has 24000 miles. Rarely driven because of work overseas. I just had it smog yesterday and prior to smogging the car I used a code reader with I/M to check to see if it will pass and it did. The smog station said that my check engine light is on. I told them right before I have them check at the parking lot, I checked it and it was good. Is it possible that the smog guy did something to my car to make it fail? He kept turning my car on and off plus he had a difficult time driving a stick. He wasn't enthusiastic either when I told them I had a coupon for smog test.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
May not have been done on purpose but yes, find another smog guy..............and do the drive cycle procedure after you clear the codes to ensure you are all clear

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I don't know how they could intentionally trigger the CEL or make it fail; except by simply lying.

Was the CEL actually on when you got the car back?

I am not sure if "not ready" would show up on your code reader, and it will fail if O2 sensors are "not ready." I guess that might explain it, but it's a stretch.

Do you have an aftermarket tune loaded? They are notorious for causing this kind of trouble; needs to be an "emissions friendly" tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is stock. The cel was on when I got the car back. I then used my obd2 reader and it has the error code. I erased it yesterday and drove it today for 150 miles with different speed and acceleration. No codes. Could starting the car multiple times cause it to throw a cel. I just don’t trust the technician. I feel like they are doing something to cause this. My car has no issues today

·
Registered
38 Posts
The code is for cylinder 5 misfire. Definitely could be from multiple starts. If he’s not familiar with a manual then may have tried to start without engaging the clutch. In my limited experience this can be due to a fuel injector. If its running fine then wouldn’t worry. If the fuel injectors are all original and you have any doubt about the reliability of your car then just replace the injectors.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
. . . . Could starting the car multiple times cause it to throw a cel. I just don’t trust the technician. I feel like they are doing something to cause this. My car has no issues today
The code is for cylinder 5 misfire. Definitely could be from multiple starts. . . . . .
I guess a bunch of starts and stalls could cause the misfire and throw the CEL but it feels like a stretch to me.

Simple solution is to go somewhere else for the emissions test; hope you are not trapped into going back to the same place.

If a different place shows the problem also then I guess something really is going on with the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts