Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 3.8L V6 automatic. New smog pump installed and now noticably kicks on when I first start the car and turns off after about 15 seconds. It will come on periodically throughout the drive cycle. After my initial replacement, the check engine light turned itself off without me ever having to reset the computer but the light later came back on after a day with the same code.

·
Administrator
4,792 Posts
My apologies for the lack of replies. You may have to wait a few days as it is the Thanksgiving holiday right now.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,442 Posts
I have a problem with my 3.8L V6 automatic. New smog pump installed and now noticably kicks on when I first start the car and turns off after about 15 seconds. It will come on periodically throughout the drive cycle. After my initial replacement, the check engine light turned itself off without me ever having to reset the computer but the light later came back on after a day with the same code.
What year?
I really don't know much about smog pumps but are you saying that the P0411 code was also registering before the pump was replaced and now afterwards as well?
If replacing the pump didn't do anything then I think that the problem may lie somewhere else. The code websites list mostly vague causes for this code but they are:
-Damaged or missing check valve
-AIR pump intake port plugged/damaged
-AIR pump clutch malfunction
-Holes or damage to exhaust components
-Faulty Vacuum hoses damaged
-Faulty Air Pump inoperative
-Air bypass solenoid harness is open or shorted
-Air bypass solenoid circuit poor electrical connection
-Air bypass solenoid leaking/blocked or stuck open/closed
-Air diverter valve leaking/blocked or stuck open/closed
This website lists a procedure for checking things but you need a decent scantool: P0411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected (obd-codes.com)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts