Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting P2106 popping up on my car every now and then. Doesn't seem to be tied to any certain RPM. It can do it when I'm accelerating, decelerating, or idling. Most of the time the car just seems to kick on failsafe engine mode but if it does it a few times I'll get the CEL with the P2106.

I know that these cars had a TSB out for the TPS but the report said it causes P2106 and P2135 but I'm not seeing P2135 at all. I'd hate to spend the money on a new TPS if that's not my problem. Can failsafe engine mode cause P2106 to show up just because of the way it tries to override the throttle?

I have a JLT CAI and Pypes LT headers. The problem showed up once before I installed the LT's but has definitely been more frequent now. The problem seems to happen more often when it's hot outside, doesn't usually occur in the morning on my way to work, more so on my way home.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Probably the TPS or the throttle motor.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any good ways to check to see which one?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? I haven't had a chance to do much shopping yet but I think it was autozone that had one for $100 or so. I'll have to do some searching tonight when I get home and see if I can find one for around $50, which isn't so bad. $50 is worth not having people driving next to me hear me kill the engine then start it back up while driving down the road :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do you have a link for that price? Ford wants $110 for it retail. I was able to find it wholesale for 60 bucks from a local speed shop.

Unfortunately, no. Replacing TPS is much less expensive. Less than $50.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm probably installing this tonight. Just wanted to double check if anyone knows if there is anything special I have to do. I checked the Ford service manual and it looks stupid simple, just remove the two torx screws and the connector, pull old unit, put new one in. The workshop manual says to discard the screws but I'm assuming that's the normal crap that they write and it's safe to reuse the old ones. Anyone have any input?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
I would use the new screws. Tighten to 3 Nm (27 lb-in). Hold the TPS firmly in place when installing. they are very sensitive.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the replacement comes with new screws I will definitely use them. Wish I had an in-lb torque wrench though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.