Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I think the title says it all. After spilling a crapload of AT fluid on me and the floor, I finally got the stock pan out. I get the new pan started and realize that there is no hole for the dipstick. I can't friggin believe this. I don't know who to blame, Brenspeed or PA. I know they make a deep pan that doesn't have the dipstick, but why would Brenspeed do this? I'm not going to send it back since I have to go to work on Monday and I think I need fluid to drive, but I think I'll definitely be shooting a nastygram to them about this. It pisses me off even more because I've had the stupid thing for nearly a month and didn't even notice this until today.

So, my gameplan is to head to Lowes in the morning and pick up a drillbit and a tap for this stupid thing. Any ideas as to what I can use to ensure I get a good seal to prevent any leaking? I'm thinking a bead of RTV on the outside or some silicone should be sufficient.

UGH! I hate when mods don't cooperate. :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

On a plus note, the pan fits great and doesn't appear to hang too low for concern. Just make sure you get one with a hole for the dipstick.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I didn't think any S197s had dip sticks. What are you using for a dipstick? You might think about a "O" ring to help seal what your putting in the pan. What are you threading into the pan?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I feel your pain. The Jaguar has no radiator fill opening. Only through the overflow container. Why would anyone do that?!?!?!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think any S197s had dip sticks. What are you using for a dipstick? You might think about a "O" ring to help seal what your putting in the pan. What are you threading into the pan?
This is what I'm installing:

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/pa27455kt.gif

It should have had a hole for the dipstick. Some places will sell the pan without the provision for it, but that personally makes ZERO sense to me. I got the pan to accomodate for the extra heat the t/c that's going in next week will make and TO CHECK THE FLUID!!!

Attached is a couple of pics of the dipstick that they sent me. It looks good and seems like solid quality, but the missing hole has me a bit hot about this situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Geez! I can not believe there is not a hole,did they forget to drill and tap it?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I see what your talking about. I have a stick so I don't follow much of the AT stuff. But I would have thought that if you wanted the dipstick setup it would have come with the hole already there.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez! I can not believe there is not a hole,did they forget to drill and tap it?
I actually think they sent the wrong pan. Some places offer the pan without the dipstick. Why is beyond me. I'm sure Brenspeed doesn't take every single pan out and look at it, but this is just nuts. It's going to take forever to drill through this thing. It's crazy thick.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But Brenspeed advertises it with the dipstick. I'd call them tomorrow.
Definitely. They've been dropping the ball a bit here recently. That issue with Tact's fuel pump, then they didn't send my Line Locks with my t/c (I bought them together), now this. Maybe they got some gremlins in the shop or something, but they need to show them some sunlight or something to get this stuff worked out.

Just as an update, I got the hole drilled, but it's just a hair bigger than I would have liked, but it'll still work. Gotta go get a smaller o-ring so I don't get any leaks. I'll post some pics of my handywork later.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Definitely. They've been dropping the ball a bit here recently. That issue with Tact's fuel pump, then they didn't send my Line Locks with my t/c (I bought them together), now this. Maybe they got some gremlins in the shop or something, but they need to show them some sunlight or something to get this stuff worked out.

Just as an update, I got the hole drilled, but it's just a hair bigger than I would have liked, but it'll still work. Gotta go get a smaller o-ring so I don't get any leaks. I'll post some pics of my handywork later.
So let me see if I got this right. They sent the dipstick assembly and a pan with no hole? :scratchchin

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So let me see if I got this right. They sent the dipstick assembly and a pan with no hole? :scratchchin
That's exactly right. Like I said, I took the pan out, gave it a quick lookover and put it back in the box. Didn't even notice the missing hole. There wern't any instructions either, but I felt that the install was pretty straightforward, and it is, but there just wasn't a hole for the dipstick.

I think I've got it figured out, but I had to cut the bracket that's used to mount the dipstick. I think the headers were interfering with it, but since I had no instructions for where to secure it, I'll never know.

I just keep telling myself that these setbacks are just building character so I my head doesn't explode. :happydance:

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
That's exactly right. Like I said, I took the pan out, gave it a quick lookover and put it back in the box. Didn't even notice the missing hole. There wern't any instructions either, but I felt that the install was pretty straightforward, and it is, but there just wasn't a hole for the dipstick.

I think I've got it figured out, but I had to cut the bracket that's used to mount the dipstick. I think the headers were interfering with it, but since I had no instructions for where to secure it, I'll never know.

I just keep telling myself that these setbacks are just building character so I my head doesn't explode. :happydance:
I wonder if Brent was shipped the wrong product? Or was this drop shipped directly from PA?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Looking at the picture above, and you're missing something. You can't just screw the end of that dip stick into a hole in the pan. That's a flare fitting, not a pipe fitting. It will leak like a seive.

You'll need a conversion fitting that screws into the pan, and provides a flared seat for the dip stick housing/tube to seat against.

Also, if there's no dip stick, where do you pour in the oil?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I think the title says it all. After spilling a crapload of AT fluid on me and the floor, I finally got the stock pan out. I get the new pan started and realize that there is no hole for the dipstick. I can't friggin believe this. I don't know who to blame, Brenspeed or PA. I know they make a deep pan that doesn't have the dipstick, but why would Brenspeed do this? I'm not going to send it back since I have to go to work on Monday and I think I need fluid to drive, but I think I'll definitely be shooting a nastygram to them about this. It pisses me off even more because I've had the stupid thing for nearly a month and didn't even notice this until today.

So, my gameplan is to head to Lowes in the morning and pick up a drillbit and a tap for this stupid thing. Any ideas as to what I can use to ensure I get a good seal to prevent any leaking? I'm thinking a bead of RTV on the outside or some silicone should be sufficient.

UGH! I hate when mods don't cooperate. :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:
damn..wish had seen this earlier but sounds like you have it figured out. Brenspeed will do something nice for ya..Id hope! here are 2 pics of mine..the one pic of the pan installed isnt my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've ended up just scrapping this pan and ordering a new one from Summit. They are pretty solid at not having their heads up their butts when it comes to sending you parts. I got it sent next day air, so I should have it by tomorrow evening. I tried to just RTV the gap and it actually worked, but I don't feel comfortable driving like that, so I just said screw it. I emailed Brenspeed, but I don't even care what they tell me at this point. I may not write them off completely, but they definitely won't be the first place I look for mods anymore.

So when the new pan gets here, I'll DEFINITELY look it over to ensure that it has everything it needs, as I will with every single mod from here out. I have a bit more faith in my 5 pound dog to save my life than I do in mod suppliers to send me the right part.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man thats some unusually bad luck. That a big pan.
You get used to it after awhile. I have things like this happen all the time. It can be pretty inconveinient (like now when I'm supposed to be at work, but I have to wait on a ride), but life goes on, I guess.

You just have to smile when something like this happens. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself mad. :wavey

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I've ended up just scrapping this pan and ordering a new one from Summit. They are pretty solid at not having their heads up their butts when it comes to sending you parts. I got it sent next day air, so I should have it by tomorrow evening. I tried to just RTV the gap and it actually worked, but I don't feel comfortable driving like that, so I just said screw it. I emailed Brenspeed, but I don't even care what they tell me at this point. I may not write them off completely, but they definitely won't be the first place I look for mods anymore.

So when the new pan gets here, I'll DEFINITELY look it over to ensure that it has everything it needs, as I will with every single mod from here out. I have a bit more faith in my 5 pound dog to save my life than I do in mod suppliers to send me the right part.
I guess, in hindsight, you should have held off from drilling it. :scratchchin

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.