Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to paint my calipers when I replace the disc brake pads. I was wondering what others have done with theirs. I plan on using a high-temp satin, or maybe flat back. I see no need for them to be some stupid color that draws everyone's eyes directly to them.
Any comments form others that have been there done that?
Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just painted mine red. i wanted red to match the body of the car, it just gave the wheels more depth that way. black would look good, but if thats a recent picture of your car, you could also go with a nice silver, it wont be too "blingy" per say, but make it look real nice and stand out just enough. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
56 Posts
they make caliper paint. you can pick it up at any auto parts store. i just did my rear drums and am doin my front calipers this weekend.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i did mine black first time too, had the same thought, but then i didnt like them and tried brackets black/calipers red, didnt like it either. went all red and i like it. i just did my friends blue stang and went red again. got the spray paint from oreillys. one can will re-do them a bunch of times. it looks great on the blue car too.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
i did mine black first time too, had the same thought, but then i didnt like them and tried brackets black/calipers red, didnt like it either. went all red and i like it. i just did my friends blue stang and went red again. got the spray paint from oreillys. one can will re-do them a bunch of times. it looks great on the blue car too.

Agreed =D this is my baby

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see no need for them to be some stupid color that draws everyone's eyes directly to them.
Thanks,
Larry
I agree 100%! I painted mine black with a brush and a pint of Rust Oleum Satin Black High Temp. Been on there for years with no sign of deterioration.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
how hard is it to paint them?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Agreed =D this is my baby
thats what she has too is a vista. it looks great. i dont see anything stupid at all, kinda traditional if anything :gringreen but to each his own too. its cheap enough you can try anything for a while, see if you like it, change it if you dont :) fun stuff !!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great input guys. Thanks a bunch!
Larry

P.S. I'll let ya know what I decide and post a pic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought paint to do SHR louvers and Roush scoop. I just used a foam brush and painted them Windveil Blue, two years and counting.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've painted the calipers on two cars so far. The easiest way is to just get the kit and follow the instructions.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I see no need for them to be some stupid color that draws everyone's eyes directly to them.
Thanks,
Larry
Which ones are the stupid colors? I'd certainly try to avoid them, although it's probably not real influential in whether brakes do a good job.

I always wonder if the extra paint on calipers inhibits transfer of heat to the air, so the heat has to find another path, probably through pads and fluid. There was a study back in the drum brake era (you could look it up!) that showed the best radiating surface was rusty iron. Maybe caliper-painting is different?

I have used G2 epoxy paint kits supplied by
G2 Brake Caliper Paint Kit: Hubcaps Plus After Market Parts and Accessories For Cars, Trucks and SUVs .

The first was on a special deal, price I couldn't pass up, for a Match-The-Mustang color. I chose Tungsten to go on a black car and be a bit more subtle than the traditional red. The calipers and brackets came out really dark metallic purple, and looked good if you crawled up and looked at it close. I don't see an easy path to the Mustang color selection, but last time I looked it could still be found. Here it is:
Hubcaps Plus After Market Parts and Accessories For Cars, Trucks and SUVs: Search
Enter "mustang caliper paint" in the search window.

Second was their standard bright yellow, as I was expecting it would come close to matching the Gawdawful Yellow in the Terlingua Racing Team badges on my (second) black car's fenders. When I got right down to it, I couldn't paint the lovely, immaculately-finished silver brackets, so I have two-tone brakes. Behind the black wheels they stand out. The yellow doesn't match perfectly, but not that bad.

Maybe both yellow and silver are stupid colors?

On the white car the brakes are GT500-Brembos, black with white lettering. I don't expect to change the color on them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Maybe both yellow and silver are stupid colors?

:mesad: I painted my calipers yellow. Does that make me the stupid one?

On the topic at hand, I just used high temp engine paint. Just make sure you completely clean the calipers of any leftover brake dust. I also used black engine paint to paint the body and inlet pipe on the muffler of my car.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I painted mine red with Dupi-color caliper paint i got off AM. 3-4 thin coats and went on great. I'd avoid using a matte or flat paint as your probably going to run into a buildup of dust on it and could help cause chipping down the line and will be overall easier to keep clean. Gloss is your best bet to avoid any issues like that.

T

·
0 Posts
I painted mine red with Dupi-color caliper paint i got off AM. 3-4 thin coats and went on great. I'd avoid using a matte or flat paint as your probably going to run into a buildup of dust on it and could help cause chipping down the line and will be overall easier to keep clean. Gloss is your best bet to avoid any issues like that.
Yup, same here, Gloss is your best bet, remember the prep determines the end result..! I think they look great painted here's mine 4 coats seemed perfect.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.