Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just need some info on paint jobs .... i like my factory red on my mustang but i seen a stang today with a onyx looking color that looked pretty sweet .
just wondering how much a paint job like that would cost , like round about prices. I dont want the engine or interior painted either just exterior , or is there any way to get the paint on my car now any better looking ? like a new coating or something .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Venom810 said:
just need some info on paint jobs .... i like my factory red on my mustang but i seen a stang today with a onyx looking color that looked pretty sweet .
just wondering how much a paint job like that would cost , like round about prices. I dont want the engine or interior painted either just exterior , or is there any way to get the paint on my car now any better looking ? like a new coating or something .
I don't know much about paint jobs, but I do know that there are a few different types they can do. You could get just the exterior done like you suggested - but that will look horrible, at least I think it would. It would look like new on the outside, but as soon as you open your doors, or the hood - you'll still see the original paint color. But that's entirely up to you.

I believe the second option is to get the entire car painted from head to toe. I mean take out the engine, all the interior panels, carpeting, seats etc... obviously this will cost a LOT more and it will take longer to complete.

Prices would be subjective on where you go, and how much you want to spend on a special blend of color. I know that a friend of mine has a special red color on his car, which is a lot less common for his car, so that would cost more if he wanted to get it repainted the same color. That Onyx color you saw might have costed a couple grand to do. Sorry Im not trying to ruin your aspirations for your car :doh:

You might have to change your registration to match the color of your car - my friend got a ticket in NY because he repainted his vehicle a different color than it was on his registration - Maybe other states have different laws on that?

Anyway, Im sure you could get a base outer job done for less than a $1000 somewhere local. Or you could go get some paint and do it yourself for a lot less - sorry I don't know what kind of paint you need :dunce:

Someone please hit me over the head if i'm just making stuff up!!! :sterb:

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
It's gonna depend on the quality you want, and the amount of work you're willing to do.

Most of the cost is going to be labor, and if you can block sand and clean the car, it'll save you a TON of money . . .

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
decided to stick with factory paint , friend gave me some really good wax and polish that gives a good shine and brings out the color like WHOA ! . But i am gonna get a front bumper and spoiler upgrade soon , anyone know round about prices for shops to hook that up ?? thanks

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Venom810 said:
decided to stick with factory paint , friend gave me some really good wax and polish that gives a good shine and brings out the color like WHOA ! . But i am gonna get a front bumper and spoiler upgrade soon , anyone know round about prices for shops to hook that up ?? thanks
if you go to yahoo autos, and click on custom autos there's a shop finder.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
When ever changeing color on your car , you do not have to pull the interior out or the engine out . What I do is spend the time and mask it out . It will take less than a day to do this . As long as you are careful you will end up with a nice job . And yes , cars look very bad when you open the doors and they are a different color .

Unless you know what you are doing , doing sanding and repairs can backfire on you . I have ran into this at work . Alot of times the person will not have things done right and makes for a bad finished product . BUt it is always nice if you wash and have the exterior clean before you bring it in for repairs . But do NOT wax before you are going to paint .

As far as price , shop around . small independents will often be cheaper . ask about warranty . Ask your friends and co workers for names of auto body shops they might have used . Word of mouth is the best advertiseing.

And yes , A good buff and wax will do alot for the old paint on your car . You might be surprised how much life is still in your old finish .

good luck

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Punxsy Stang said:
When ever changeing color on your car , you do not have to pull the interior out or the engine out . What I do is spend the time and mask it out . It will take less than a day to do this . As long as you are careful you will end up with a nice job . And yes , cars look very bad when you open the doors and they are a different color .

Unless you know what you are doing , doing sanding and repairs can backfire on you . I have ran into this at work . Alot of times the person will not have things done right and makes for a bad finished product . BUt it is always nice if you wash and have the exterior clean before you bring it in for repairs . But do NOT wax before you are going to paint .

As far as price , shop around . small independents will often be cheaper . ask about warranty . Ask your friends and co workers for names of auto body shops they might have used . Word of mouth is the best advertiseing.

And yes , A good buff and wax will do alot for the old paint on your car . You might be surprised how much life is still in your old finish .

good luck

yeah, my brother didn't listen to me -listened to a friend of his, and jacked the sheetmetal on the car.

If you do any sanding, filling, etc. pick up a paint guide/book, and practice on some scrap parts.

My brother used like a 40 grit and the scratches STILL show. One of these days, I'll fix it for him . .. probably not anytime soon . ..

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
SOmetimes you can trade work at smaller shops, work weekends, etc doing some of the menial work in exchange for learning how to do it, and cheaper prices . ..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Or you could always break out the wallpaint and the roller.... Ok ill just stop there haha. I've actually seen someone who had done that - put paint on their car with a roller. Looked kinda normal from far away, but looked closer and it looked like, well, someone had rolled the paint on haha :tongue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.