Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about time in the restoration process of my 68 convertible to start thinking about paint. I've never painted a car before but I have a friend who has but he said I would have to do all the prep work. Now im not a really patient guy and I hate sanding ( Ive only done it on wood before). So what im wondering is how much would it cost to have the interior and exterior of the car painted not including the trunk or engine bay or if it is easy to sand a car and prep it for painting or not. So over all which one should I do?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Doing virtually an entire old car (frankly, the engine bay and inside the trunk are not the hard parts), PARTICULARLY the interior, is a ton of work.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Engine bay and trunk you can do with spray cans.The floor i would por15 and put a good sound deading over it.Sanding the car its best to use the longest blocks you can get in a x pattern and watch any body lines those you tape half of the line sand it then tape the other half and sand it.Some round spots and hard to get at spots a red scrubbing pad will work.Its not easy and can take some time sanding and filling the low spots.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My paint was 4200 for the interior and exterior including the trunk, dealing with a fiberglass hood, and changing a quarter panel. The hood was about 450 alone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
it takes a dedicated guy to sand and prep a car if you want it to turn out good however it will save you a ton of bucks so the choice is yours! wes

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The prep work is a lot harder than painting - that is why your friend won't do it. Out of a $5000 paint job the actual painting of the car takes a total of about three hours. Prepping it for paint can take weeks if the car is in fair shape.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you honestly don't have the patience for sanding, hand off the project to someone else and be prepared to shell out the money for labor.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I painted our 66 because I WANTED to. It is a lot of work and I can honestly see now why shops charge so much. I have had a few people ask if I would paint their cars and the answer is NO WAY. Paint was about $700 for epoxy/high buildprimer/base/clearcoat. Not cheap.
Here are pictures:

Primer: Painting it ourselves
Base/clear coat: Paint
Paint booth: Paint Booth

Be honest with yourself before you decide to paint it yourself. It can be done if you have the time and follow directions and not rush.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron
Christophers 66 Mustang Restoration and Modification

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you honestly don't have the patience for sanding, hand off the project to someone else and be prepared to shell out the money for labor.
Dont waste your time and energy if you don't enjoy sanding. Sanding and more sanding is what its all about. It cost me about $1200 in paint and six months of bodywork and sanding. Its a rush for me to make sure everything fits and is straight as can be AND then paint it in my garage. Painting in the garage is also a lot of work because I have to make a booth with plastic sheeting and vent it with fans. But it was sure worth it to me, to say I did it myself.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Mine took me about 3 weeks for the body prep and i had a straight rust free car besides one outer wheel well.But I'm kinda anal had all the gaps prefect and all the panels fitting prefect.Took me about a day to paint color sand and buff it out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Those of you who painted your own car.....did you trim out everything, bolt it on and paint the whole car or paint everything in pieces and build it?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Those of you who painted your own car.....did you trim out everything, bolt it on and paint the whole car or paint everything in pieces and build it?
I had everything a part so that is the way it was painted and then put back together carefully. I had a fender get a small scratch when the dog knocked it over. Yeah, the dog is still around...

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I took everything off and painted it was the only way i know to get it looking prefect.A trick is get all the panels prefect take the smallest drill bit you got and drill a hole through the hinge and door use that hole to line it up.Same thing for the hood and trunk.The fenders i do it in a place you'll never seen once done.And tape every edge when you put them back just in case you hit something.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Great. I am probably a few months from paint still but I want to do it myself. I hate giving away good hard earned money. I do all of the restoration myself except machine work and paint so it's time I try the paint :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Before you squeeze the trigger on any paint, go over to Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Body - Exterior and read posts and information from the old professional painters on the site. Use the search function before asking a question because it probably has already been asked.
Learn about epoxy primer, fillers, different basecoats and clears. Learn from others' problems so you wont have tiger stripes, orange peel or solvent pop on your car.
Read about time windows and tech sheets and FOLLOW THEM LIKE THEY ARE THE GOSPEL.
Get a good gun with a 1.3 tip for the BC/CC. You can find a good one for $100. You will need a gun with a 1.7 (approx) tip for epoxy and high build primers. The bigger the size the more paint is passed. Also get a water trap for your lines and drain it regularly or leave it slightly cracked. Also if your airlines were used for air tools and have ANY oil in them, pick up some new ones (harbor frieght can be a very good friend). Oil or water will cause fish eyes and kill a paint job.
MAKE SURE YOUR COMPRESSOR WILL PUT OUT ENOUGH CFM TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR GUN.

Last but not least, get a good organic respirator with organic filters and use it. ISO's in paint are really nasty and can kill you if you breath enough of them or absorb them through you skin. Get a disposable paint suit and gloves also. BE SAFE.

It is not that hard to do just have to have all your ducks in a row so you know what your doing.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Yeah you need to do some reading and maybe get a book or some videos its easy once you know what to do and how to do it.My first paint job had fish eye bad i had to strip it and start over that wasn't fun.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am probably going to do this this summer and let someone spray it for me. Is it really that much work? I mean crap, 6 months:happyhapp I was atleast hoping for me to sand the whole car down and get it to the shop in like 3 days or so. Of course it will be summer for me and i would be working on it all day. Is it even possible?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just painted my track car myself, just got done wetsanding it.

Don't worry about the green engine compartment and interior panels, they are all getting painted black. But again this is a street/track car so I did not spend a ton of time on body work. It could have been perfect, but I expect after a few races it will not be anyways. Plus it was a $900 car I was not going to spend $2,000 on a paint job. The total of materials and paint was about $105.00. I still have to polish it out, seal it, and then wax it and put all the racing decals on. Also the targa roof, and the hood will be the bright orange as well.

You can see how much paint I sanded off on the floor of my garage, but overall it looks pretty darn good.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.