Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2010 GT Premium Convertible for only a few months now and I have noticed that everytime I clean it the factory painted 19in. rims seem to have lost more of the paint. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and any suggestions going forward. Can they be repainted?, should I try to remove all the paint and if so would it look ok? I bought it used and was thinking maybe they repainted them before they sold the car (although it looks to be factory paint) It just seems like if it was coming off at the rate it is now there wouldn't be any left!! Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
I am not aware of that problem ; my 18" premium wheels looked almost brand new after three years and about 40,000 miles. (I recently sold them, though sometimes I think that was a mistake)

Perhaps yours were painted by the previous owner as you suggest ; or maybe they were used in the winter with salt on the roads. (I have a separate set for the winter)

Repainting wheels is faily expensive . . . like $600 ballpark for the set of 4 ; you can almost get a set of new wheels for that money.

Check out some of the threads on "plasti-dip", that might be an option.

PS -- now I see you are from Louisianna, so winter salt is probably not the reason

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just cleaned my '05s wheels a couple weeks ago and definitely noticed the clear coat was peeling off around the rim. I'm planning on getting new wheels anyway but want to keep these 17s for winter duty... trying to figure out what to do with them myself. Whether I want to polish them down as much as possible and go over them with some fresh clear coat or what.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
This is quite alarming that your clear coat is peeling off. Mind if I ask what you guys are cleaning your wheels with? I'm hoping or assuming you're not using some industrial cleaner like greased lightning or something??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did go to a car wash and spray my car off a couple of times. I used the wheel cleaner there once. I would hope that whatever they have in there wouldn't be that strong or overspray would be ruining paint on vehicles. But other than that I haven't used anything except a soft bristle brush and armorall car wash that I have used on the rest of the car. I noticed some of the paint peeling off when I got the car, it just wasn't nearly as bad.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have had my 2010 GT Premium Convertible for only a few months now and I have noticed that everytime I clean it the factory painted 19in. rims seem to have lost more of the paint. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and any suggestions going forward. Can they be repainted?, should I try to remove all the paint and if so would it look ok? I bought it used and was thinking maybe they repainted them before they sold the car (although it looks to be factory paint) It just seems like if it was coming off at the rate it is now there wouldn't be any left!! Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You could get them repainted. There are guys who do it. The wheels should be sand blasted and properly prepped by whoever does it. The guys who do it use different blasting mediums depending on the type of metal.

Then you can have them painted however you like. My dad had his SRT Charger's wheels blasted and repainted black with the SRT letters filled in with red. Looks fantastic.

The clearcoat on my wheels is peeling, but then again I drive all year in Chicago, so I deal with salt and snow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts