Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm still relatively new here. :p
One of this first things I need to take care of with my car is fixing the stupid paint. The paint is chipping off in the back and the clearcoat is coming off the front and rear bumpers.

Image08032010113533.jpg Image08032010113542.jpg

I know that the best thing to do would be to bring it to a shop and get it done, however I'm quite broke. :sosad: So, I'm looking for a solution I can do myself, or perhaps with my father. I'm not the smartest with cars, being a girl, but I'm not helpless. hah. Any imput on what I can do is appreciated. I really want to fix this before it gets any worse.

Thanks!
Katie. :]

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
UH OH! Owner before you got Maaco! With Maaco paint jobs costing less than 500 bucks they need to be redone every 2 years right when the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bahaha. Wouldn't doubt it. I just need to fix his stupidity. :p

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
a good paint job is generally made by the prep work that's done before the paint is even loaded into the sprayer.. if you want to do it yourself you should check out some of the do it yourself websites they have around the interwebz can learn a great deal.. then if you decide you can handle the work buy yourself a sprayer, paint, sanding devices and have at it..

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
a good paint job is generally made by the prep work that's done before the paint is even loaded into the sprayer.. if you want to do it yourself you should check out some of the do it yourself websites they have around the interwebz can learn a great deal.. then if you decide you can handle the work buy yourself a sprayer, paint, sanding devices and have at it..
X2

Or, if you get lucky you can find a car your same color with good condition paint being parted in a junkyard or craigs, and simply swap the parts.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
X2

Or, if you get lucky you can find a car your same color with good condition paint being parted in a junkyard or craigs, and simply swap the parts.
If thats the original color anywhere that sells paint should be able to mix an exact color by the VIN.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
If thats the original color anywhere that sells paint should be able to mix an exact color by the VIN.
True, but then you still need to pay someone to do the paint work, or need the tools and location to do it yourself. Also if you're trying to do it yourself, the paint store will mix it to factory spec but in reality, your paint will be noticeably faded (assuming you only paint the bad areas)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So would it look absolutely terrible if I just bought some paint, the cars color, of course, and just kinda touched up the bad spots?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
LMAO - There is no "touching up" big areas like that. The closest thing to that would be to get factory matching paint in an aerosol; wither from Ford, a paint shop, or Dupli-Color. The unbolt those panels and sand down where it is flaking so it's a smooth transition from existing paint to metal. Sand the existing paint so there is a rough surface. THen spray bomb then clear coat.

BUT - That actually probably won't work on the bumper. THey have additives to make the paint remain flexible. I have seen plenty of professional re-paint jobs flake off urethane bumpers a short time later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well you know what I meantttt. lol. I mean just repainting the bad spots instead of the whole damn car. If I got the right matching paint in an aerosol, and got some clear coat, is it gonna match the existing paint okay? or will it stick out like a sore thumb...lol.

As for the bumpers, my dad says he knows a way to make them look better...can't imagine what he's thinking, but I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
The slight color mismatch will not stick out. THe key to making it look decent will be getting a nice glossy clear coat on it so the reflection is look the same when you see light hitting the car at an angle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts