Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted one of my calipers so far, but plan to do all four. I used VHT high temp paint - super cleaned with brake cleaner, sand paper and alcohol. Painted twice with primer, three with red, and two with satin clear coat. Came out nice, was hard to put it back together without scraping the paint since I needed to cure the paint by driving the car. (Oven, not an option) I did not remove the brake line, just painted in the wheel well.

Thoughts????

Likes, dislikes?

Not going to hurt my feelings.

Should I paint the exposed rear of the brake pad itself?

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
That red has a very nice contrast with those black rims and white paint. I painted mine by spraying high heat enamel in a metal cup thing, and then used a brush to apply it to the calipers. It eliminated the overspray, the need to mask, and I didn't have to take them apart to do it.

Post a pic of the whole car when it's done.

·
Registered
535 Posts
looks good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Curing the paint with brake heat? Nice!

Also next time you can pull off the rubber boots that cover your slider pins, not sure how the paint will affect the rubber's flexibility/lifespan. It's probably fine but they're not really part of the caliper.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Good job! I've been running covers for a year, hoping I could upgrade to some brembos. But I think you've given me inspiration. Did you smooth out the calipers?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Love em!

If I could actually leave my car alone for 24 straight hours, I'd have done this already.

·
Registered
544 Posts
To answer your other question, I would not paint the back of the pads.

Reactions: standingwave

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not smoothed, but being behind a wheel and not really looking real close, it still looks good. Check out the pics for smoothness

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Curing the paint with brake heat? Nice!

Also next time you can pull off the rubber boots that cover your slider pins, not sure how the paint will affect the rubber's flexibility/lifespan. It's probably fine but they're not really part of the caliper.
I took the time to get the paint off the rubber. Thank you! And I will tape over them on the next 3.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't think the paint on the rubber parts and on your calibers is a good idea. You can get replacement pieces at LMR and other places. I did my back brakes in blk when I put the brembo's on and also used VHT Hi Temp paint. I over sprayed like you, knowing I was replacing all the parts including pads. The paint somehow burnt off and dripped onto the inside of my wheels in places...after it had previously dried. I could not remove those marks, so be careful. Hopefully you don't have same problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I painted mine to match the color of the car using spray paint and masked some areas. No issues with the brakes being too hot and melting or burning the paint off. The calipers still look good.
Yours look really good. Well done.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Looks great! I painted mine last year using rattle can silver no clear. the silver looks great aginst my grey wheels

·
Registered
615 Posts
Two questions:
Rattle can high temp...dry time?
The brush on kit..dry time?

Its sunny in the 70s here tomorrow. Wanting to tinker
Have my new brake pad/rotors, figure while changing em out, I could do the calipers.
Thinking black or red.
New wheels will be black

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks good. Red is a very popular color for calipers. I'm planning to paint mine also though I might use the G2 paint kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts