Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might ask why I would paint my mirrors when my car is already black. I suppose there aren't many who would notice but I think they look great and now there are more shiny pieces so that's always good.

The before and after. Would you even notice?

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
??

so with did the charge you ..
i am thing of getting my done. and did the sand them or just paint over
the texture ..

thanks for any info ..

looks great..

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
savagess said:
so with did the charge you ..
i am thing of getting my done. and did the sand them or just paint over
the texture ..

thanks for any info ..

looks great..
Thanks. I did it myself. I sanded the mirrors (just a bit, you can't really sand the platic smooth), applied primer and sanded that smooth then used PPG acrylic basecoat and eurathane clearcoat. It took one evening to sand and prime and one to paint.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have the same issue with my Black GT. They look great and you convinced me to get mine done. Need to send my chin spoiler to get painted and now I will add the mirrors. Thanks,looks great..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Paint' em up all'em plastic parts ! ! !

5twenty said:
You might ask why I would paint my mirrors when my car is already black. I suppose there aren't many who would notice but I think they look great and now there are more shiny pieces so that's always good.
Hi 5twenty!

Nice job - it does look much better. :thumbsup

...only now, you really notice the plasticky front grille. When are you going to paint that and make your ride look really good?!? :evillol:

/Vic

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crownvic said:
Hi 5twenty!

Nice job - it does look much better. :thumbsup

...only now, you really notice the plasticky front grille. When are you going to paint that and make your ride look really good?!? :evillol:

/Vic

WoW. I never even thought of that. I really do hate that plastic front grille. Hmmmm...maybe I'll think about that. I do have paint left over....

·
Registered
604 Posts
I did mine with in 48 hours of driving it off the delivery truck......... makes it look MUCH better...they even took out the mirror, and painted the INSIDE.... so no nasty black lines....:green :rollgrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was going to paint the factory mirrors, but every painter I talked to gave me the same story. The paint will chip if it gets hit.

Did you not find this to be the case, or did you just not care?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
d6_05GT said:
I was going to paint the factory mirrors, but every painter I talked to gave me the same story. The paint will chip if it gets hit.

Im a painter....it will chip anywhere on the car that gets "hit". If the plastic is prepped properly it will withstand quite abit of abuse. plastic does require a differnet procedure than metal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As nice as those paint jobs turned out, I would definitely consider some 3M clear bra material over the gloss paint. Should give you years of chip-free service

Totoland Mach

G

·
Totoland Mach said:
As nice as those paint jobs turned out, I would definitely consider some 3M clear bra material over the gloss paint. Should give you years of chip-free service

Totoland Mach
Is that a spray of some sort or a film that covers painted parts?
Just curious.

Snack

BTW - 5Twenty... nice job on the mirrors...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I would say its a film he metioned..what I have seen looks bad....couldnt imagine gettin it on a curved mirrior.

·
Registered
48 Posts
:eek:fftopic The mirrors look great never realized the difference until I saw yours. Guess I'll have to add the mod to my ever growing list.

Off topic though what front fascia/front spoiler do you have. Makes a great addition without going over the top, IMO.

·
Registered
394 Posts
d6_05GT said:

I had the dealer prep and paint the mirrors and side skirts to match the car before I bought it. The mirrors have no chips and seem VERY durable; just like the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spectre said:
:eek:fftopic The mirrors look great never realized the difference until I saw yours. Guess I'll have to add the mod to my ever growing list. Off topic though what front fascia/front spoiler do you have. Makes a great addition without going over the top, IMO.
Thanks for the compliment. I have the CDC aggressive spoiler. It really gives the fron end a totally different look without, as you say, going over the top. It also maintains the retro theme of the car, unlike a lot of other fascias that still think the Mustang in the "aero" generation. The front end of this car is not made to look aerodynamic, it's made to look like 60's muscle. Some aftermarket designers just don't get that. They still want the Mustang to look like a ricer. It's just WRONG!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.