Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna paint my Pony Emblem today its raining out so a good inside project what sandpaper should i use first i have 1000 and gloss black and a can of clear coat. that good?? and how do i take that damn thing off haha

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
For the paint side it's best to use non gloss when using a clear coat. For your project I would get satin black and clear or take it to someone that can powder coat it for you, it would last a lot longer that way.

·
Registered
954 Posts
im gonna paint my Pony Emblem today its raining out so a good inside project what sandpaper should i use first i have 1000 and gloss black and a can of clear coat. that good?? and how do i take that damn thing off haha
Are you talking about the one in your grill?? Yea are gonna need to just go ahead and get a new one. I'll bet money that you are gonna break more than one of those pins getting that thing out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
be carefull pulling that thing off those pins break easy. you should just buy a new one. when i put my grill on it had to come off and it broke. now its hanging in my room:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where and how much??

·
Registered
786 Posts
couldn't he just grind the pins and 3m it back on after the paint?

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you are careful you wont break the pins on the pony. Just take the grill off, flip it and use a small flat head screw driver. I did that before and did not break. As far as painting it yourself, make sure you clearcoat it well because anything in the front of the car like that will hit every bug and crap that comes flying at you so eventually you will need to paint again or buy a new one.

·
Registered
786 Posts
did you just shush me? :happyhapp Sounds like SOMEBODY'S got a little interest in selling these $200 painted chrome ponnies!!!! NIIIIIICE buddy. Seriously though, if you are carefull, it shouldn't be that hard, especially for just a single color change. In fact, if you were REALLY carefull, you could probably just mask/sand/ and paint it without removing it. Don't waste your money on some fancy painted horse, sooooooo many better ways to spend your hard earned money.. CAI, udp's.... driveshafts.... wheels....gears...posi... the list goes on.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A seller on ebay sells painted emblem covers that slip onto your emblem. You can't tell that it's not the real deal. He sells all sorts of colors and whatnot and even custom made my black with silver flames one. Best of all..it was like $7. Check out my avatar picture.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i put the first coat on there now im waiting for it to dry imma put 2 more coats on it then put 2 coats of clear on it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You are probably gonna want to put more than 2 coats of clear on there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well its on and it turned out a satin black but i like it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
As long as yo like it I have spent a lot of money on learning the paint side of things and I am suprised it turned out satin must have used a light clear vs a thick clear I use triple thick clear.

well now I use Oem style paint clear primer etc but it's more expensive $30-65 a can.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and i sanded off the pins and used 3m tape and stuck it on there pics will follow....Next project my valve covers =]]]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.