Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so in my mustang I have the regular silver dashboard (see first picture) and i've noticed how other mustangs have the factory black dashboard (see second picture) sooo my question is how could I get mine to be black?

I know I would have to take it off and paint it then put it back on but that seems easier said than done. What is your take on it? Keeping it silver isnt what i'm looking to hear...i've kind of set my mind to painting it black. How hard would it be to take off these parts, especially on the passanger side because of the airbag?

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
You should have asked last year. Mine is factory black and I was looking for the silver but now that I have seen it in person I decided the black was not so bad...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Repainting Dash

1st I would have an auto bodyshop painter look at it. I believe that metal is actually aluminum and it would be tricky to get paint to adhere to that surface.

The left most panel (over the gauges) just pulls off
The center section is screwed on and will not come off until the airbag is removed lst. The center section removal may also require removing console and radio cover (but those are easy after removing screws)
The right most panel (RH vent) comes off by pulling, while pushing from behind...maybe airbag comes out lst...can't recall.

So the airbag is the difficult one.
Should look at the service manual for that....for depowering
Depowering is in the General procedures section of the SRS system in the shop manual...should be online link for that in this forum.
Must depower SRS system and airbag is mounted from behind the dash. 1st have to lower glove box all the way or remove it.
Disconnect electrical connector to rh air bag
remove two airbag module bolts (behind glove box)
release deployment door clips 12 total...six upper, six lower, two each side.
push from behind dash to remove air bag module...do not pull from front.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Good bit of info about air bag removal on our Mustangs.
Thanks for that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK what your gonna need is about 15 bottles of black nail polish. Apply at least 3-4 coats then let dry for an hour! Once it is completly dry, apply a coat of clear nail hardner. That way it can give it that wax type look. :heha:

Plz dont do this :nono:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
A Quickie Job

No No...Magic Marker is much Faster. You'll need the MAGNUM size from Lowe's or Home Depot.:bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
CARiD.com - Ford Mustang Accessories, Mustang Accessories

Here is a company that sells kits to cover the stock dash. I would have done the carbon kit because I don't like the aluminum look [personal subject opinion]. But I bought a plain jane GT and the textured dark gray dash looks fine to me [just one of many reasons I bought the stripper]

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm thinking about swapping to the aluminum dash. I have the factory black.....wouldn't a swap make more sense and hold up better then doing a paint job?

·
Registered
580 Posts
keep silver

Ok so in my mustang I have the regular silver dashboard (see first picture) and i've noticed how other mustangs have the factory black dashboard (see second picture) sooo my question is how could I get mine to be black?

I know I would have to take it off and paint it then put it back on but that seems easier said than done. What is your take on it? Keeping it silver isnt what i'm looking to hear...i've kind of set my mind to painting it black. How hard would it be to take off these parts, especially on the passanger side because of the airbag?

Thanks in Advance!
Dude, I have the regular black dash, I believe it's a leather wrap. I saw your silver, I like it, I never ever saw a silver dash, you should keep it, the black will eventually fade, the silver looks very nice and retro, don't touch it.:nono:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
One of many reasons I bought the stripper.
But didn't you buy the stripper for the convenience of getting lap dances at home?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
many vendors out there that make dash panel kits. would look nicer than painting.

·
Registered
567 Posts
First, before you do something you might regret, check the local junkyards for the price on the dash panels. If the panels are in the right price range for you, buy those and paint to your hearts content. This way you will always know that the old ones can be reinstalled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.