Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to repainting the hood on my Tungsten Gray GT. I want to paint it black, but not completely. I don't know if I should use a metallic black or a flat black. Any suggestions or pics that can show me what it might look like. Thanks

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
if youre wanting the "BOSS" or "MACH 1" look, i would go flat black. actually, i wouldnt use metallic black no matter what. metallic black looks like it has gold flakes in it. (probably b/c it does):shigrin maybe gloss black if you want the steeda Q look. (which would look good on your tungsten)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I used metallic black stripes on a tan metallic car and the stripes looked dusty all the time.You could go two stage with black base and clear coat.
Here is a pic of my 06'GT with black stripe on legend lime,and the second pic is the first car I mentioned(67'Rebel550).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I wasn't trying to make my car something it wasn't, so I went with gloss black. I like it better.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ya myt your gloss black looks good but so does metallic...they both look good

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like the look of the matte black paint. In fact, I'd like to do the spolier on my Mustang that way, but question how difficult it is to keep it looking good over the course of time? Do you just wax it like your normal clearcoat paint, or is there some other sort of maintenance regimen?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
ddellwo said:
I like the look of the matte black paint. In fact, I'd like to do the spolier on my Mustang that way, but question how difficult it is to keep it looking good over the course of time? Do you just wax it like your normal clearcoat paint, or is there some other sort of maintenance regimen?
If you had the paint done at, say 70%, you'd apply wax as usual. It might initially give it a bit of a sheen, but over time would remain constant. I chose the gloss because I can't stand the line that inevitably forms between the flat black and the gloss. It just collects wax and shows a white line. When I had my hood done, the entire hood was coated in two coats of clear. You can't feel the change from blue to black.

·
Registered
412 Posts
myltlpny said:
If you had the paint done at, say 70%, you'd apply wax as usual. It might initially give it a bit of a sheen, but over time would remain constant. I chose the gloss because I can't stand the line that inevitably forms between the flat black and the gloss. It just collects wax and shows a white line.
If I did mine it would be just the spoiler (the entire spoiler -- not just a stripe) so I doubt there would be a problem with the build-up of wax at the "break" line....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Munson,

I really like the way yours looks. Did you paint the chin spoiler the same color as the hood or did it come that color. Is it a CDC chin spoiler.

munson1578 said:
Here's mine....black satin paint.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
ddellwo said:
If I did mine it would be just the spoiler (the entire spoiler -- not just a stripe) so I doubt there would be a problem with the build-up of wax at the "break" line....
Very true. I was referring to the hood lines, if you did the hood like mine. If you did the entire hood...no problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Zrullac said:
Munson,

I really like the way yours looks. Did you paint the chin spoiler the same color as the hood or did it come that color. Is it a CDC chin spoiler.
The cdc chin spoiler, hood, rear spoiler, and also blacked out the rear panel all the same paint color.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts