Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where do i go to find paint for the engine bay, in particular i want to paint my radiator extensions, i like the black in the middle and color coded side look that so many ppl have. And i am interested in painting that trim piece that goes around the subwoofers for the shakker 500 system. I have to get two different kinds of paint right? And a coat of something glossy like a clearcoat correct? And i know that the paint code for my color is G9. (had to pick-up touch-up paint....:so)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Auto-part stores, like AutoZone & PepBoys sell DupliColor high heat engine enamel. That's the stuff to use, and they should have plenty of colors. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do i need a primer before painting or can i just slap it right onto the surface after i clean it up a bit?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If you are painting plastic, you need to primer it. You also need to decide if you want that factory texture or not. Scuff it up with some 150-200 grit, hit it with adhesion promoter, high build primer or body filler, primer and paint.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
id like to paint my radiator cover. not tryin to hijack the thread but is it a lot of prep since its semi textured? id like a smooth gloss finish. do they sell aftermarket?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very interested in this thread, I have been debating on this same thing for the better part of three months, I hope some posts show up on exactly how to do this.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't think you'll need a high heat paint for the extension covers. The place I had my plenum, throttle body, and fuse box covers didn't use high heat paint and I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are painting plastic, you need to primer it. You also need to decide if you want that factory texture or not. Scuff it up with some 150-200 grit, hit it with adhesion promoter, high build primer or body filler, primer and paint.
i don't want to get too involved so i think that i will leavethe factory texture. primer it, let it dry. then hit it with the vista blue and see how it turns out.

Now i need to buy some primer. geez.... modding gets complex and expensive fast!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ok, So I got bored last night, I got under the hood of my company GMC truck, and grabbed the fuse box cover. I cleaned it and primered it with VHT plastic Primer, sanded and hit it again. Just used black high heat enamel, and then cleared. I have a little orange peel on the front, about a two inch spot, but it took me a total of 6 hours, and if I had taken my time, I wouldn't have the peel. So yeah, easier than I thought. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I literally just painted the rings around the speaker about 3 hours ago - No primer... Just sprayed it on.

It

looks

AWESOME!

If I didn't know any better, I'd say it looks like billet aluminum. No prep or anything! :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
darn, wish i had known about these painted covers before i already bought mine. one mod i didn't know about for once lol. And i'm going to be doing the speaker trim at the same time so i would have had to get all the equipment anyway...:so

So i'm gonna go shopping this weekend. i will purchase:

dupli-color primer
200 and 600 grit sandpaper

and i'll sand with the 200. primer it. let it dry. sand with the 600. primer it again. let it dry. then hit it with a few coats of the vista blue paint.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I literally just painted the rings around the speaker about 3 hours ago - No primer... Just sprayed it on.

It

looks

AWESOME!

If I didn't know any better, I'd say it looks like billet aluminum. No prep or anything! :bigthumbsup
wow that looks fantastic!!! where did you come up with that awesome idea i wonder:scratchchin

maybe i'll just try it out on a single speaker trim. Can't be more than a few bucks to replace if i goof it up lol

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
wow that looks fantastic!!! where did you come up with that awesome idea i wonder:scratchchin

maybe i'll just try it out on a single speaker trim. Can't be more than a few bucks to replace if i goof it up lol
That's exactly why I did it! "Very cheap to replace, and I might just do the aluminum someday anyways" went through my mind. I'd actually recommend not sanding it... If you mess up you can just take off the old paint and be okay.

Actually, I didn't get that idea from here. :laugh: I got it from a picture of the interior of a Foose mustang... I was to lazy to comprehend what you said in your original post! :shiny: All I read was you wanted to paint your engine cover. :shigrin

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Hotshot, where did you get your Vista Blue paint?? Does anybody know where to get exact factory paint to color match some stuff? Like break calipers, or say radiator cover? :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,785 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Who's your best friend?

PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (rs), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint

I am! :D

And G2 makes custom colors of caliper paint for Mustangs. :bigthumbsup
Sweet! Thanks Preston! Now only if i can guess what size spray can i should order to make sure i can do all four calipers, and the radiator cover?

I am looking at the 12.5oz Spray Can, then on the same line it says "Basecoat, Clearcoat, Primer"

I am kind of lost?? What exactly am i supposed to order? lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.