Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’ve had my 2000 v6 for about a year and this started happening recently. Something on fuse line “D” I’m assuming is still on when I shut the car off and it drains my battery. It takes around 5-6 hours for the battery to fully drain. For now I just take the fuse out when I’m not using the car. This is my daily driver and the only way I have to get around right now so I really don’t wanna go in ripping the car apart to find a short. I’m not that knowledgeable with cars so any assistance would be helpful.
Font Parallel Document Number Rectangle

·
Administrator
4,792 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,442 Posts
There's so many potential items on that main circuit that could cause a drain that in order to try to narrow it down you need to pull fuses in the fuse panel for individual things like the radio, speed control, etc. Anything that you can isolate off that main circuit. It'd be better to put an ammeter/multimeter in series with the negative battery cable and the negative battery post with that #8 40a maxi fuse pulled. Set it at the 10 amp range and get a reading of what's supposedly a normal amp draw. After that pull all the little fuses in the panel that feed each individual item on that circuit and then put the maxi fuse back in. Hopefully, there's no more major draw on the ammeter. At that point put in 1 fuse at a time and look at the ammeter to see which one is causing the big drain. That will help you isolate the problem circuit.

As 07redstang said the radio is a very likely candidate especially if you have the Shaker system. However, simply turning the radio off won't test if it's what's responsible for the drain. Even when off the stereo system still has constant power running thru it. You'd have to pull the radio fuse itself to know whether it's the problem or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is your battery? Try turning off the stereo, they have been known to act up and drain the battery.
I assumed the problem was my old battery cause it was kind of old. So I went and got a new one thinking that would solve the problem. I don’t usually have the stereo on either. I’m gonna attempt what Cobrajet suggested and pull all the instrument panel fuses.

There's so many potential items on that main circuit that could cause a drain that in order to try to narrow it down you need to pull fuses in the fuse panel for individual things like the radio, speed control, etc. Anything that you can isolate off that main circuit. It'd be better to put an ammeter/multimeter in series with the negative battery cable and the negative battery post with that #8 40a maxi fuse pulled. Set it at the 10 amp range and get a reading of what's supposedly a normal amp draw. After that pull all the little fuses in the panel that feed each individual item on that circuit and then put the maxi fuse back in. Hopefully, there's no more major draw on the ammeter. At that point put in 1 fuse at a time and look at the ammeter to see which one is causing the big drain. That will help you isolate the problem circuit.

As 07redstang said the radio is a very likely candidate especially if you have the Shaker system. However, simply turning the radio off won't test if it's what's responsible for the drain. Even when off the stereo system still has constant power running thru it. You'd have to pull the radio fuse itself to know whether it's the problem or not.
I’m thinking that is the issue as well. This weekend since I have some time off I’m gonna get a multimeter and pull all the instrument panel fuses to see if I can find the short.

·
Registered
07 Mustang GT
910 Posts
I assumed the problem was my old battery cause it was kind of old. So I went and got a new one thinking that would solve the problem. I don’t usually have the stereo on either. I’m gonna attempt what Cobrajet suggested and pull all the instrument panel fuses.

I’m thinking that is the issue as well. This weekend since I have some time off I’m gonna get a multimeter and pull all the instrument panel fuses to see if I can find the short.
It is not a short, if it were you'd have blown fuses, smoke, or melted wires. It is a situation where something is not powering down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I’ve had my 2000 v6 for about a year and this started happening recently. Something on fuse line “D” I’m assuming is still on when I shut the car off and it drains my battery. It takes around 5-6 hours for the battery to fully drain. For now I just take the fuse out when I’m not using the car. This is my daily driver and the only way I have to get around right now so I really don’t wanna go in ripping the car apart to find a short. I’m not that knowledgeable with cars so any assistance would be helpful.
View attachment 782912
Hi, Have an 06 v6 which did the same thing. After driving your car you must shut off all controls that use the battery ( heater, air, radio etc.) Also very important you must put all the power windows up all the way (otherwise the power window motor still draws some power).You need to do this before shutting off the car. We did this and problem solved. Try this before you start pulling fuses etc.
Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 782912
the answer to your parasitic draw issue can be found on this site. that's how i found this site. my '01 cobra had the same problem. you are going to need a volt meter that reads in milliamps for diagnosing this problem, along with a knife style parasitic draw tool (aka battery cut-off switch that mounts onto the negative battery terminal before the negative cable is attached). i found one at a motor home parts supplier. beyond that, i'll have to get back to you. it's late, the Kings lost to the Maple Leafs and i am tired. you might look at my post history also. i may have answered this before.

OK, here is the link: 2001 Cobra Mustang with battery drainage problem
I was able to determine that his diagnosis is correct for my car, the GEM was the problem. I cut the wire after id'ing it as he described, and used shrink wrap to cover the bare end of each wire. Then neatly tucked each end out of the way. I checked the milliamp draw for a month, noting it was somewhere around 50. Before the fix it was drawing 175, so the battery would be dead in about 3-5 days. The reason you have to do this is because Ford discontinued the module. Everything in the cabin still works as well!
It's worth noting that, although he refused to use a trickle charger as a band-aid, I invested in a NOCO brand unit recently because this is my second car and is not driven so much. Using one will not only save my battery, but will not tax the alternator bringing the battery back to full charge when i do take it out.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,442 Posts
Hi, Have an 06 v6 which did the same thing. After driving your car you must shut off all controls that use the battery ( heater, air, radio etc.) Also very important you must put all the power windows up all the way (otherwise the power window motor still draws some power).You need to do this before shutting off the car. We did this and problem solved. Try this before you start pulling fuses etc.
Good Luck
As I said above power is still always routed thru many electronics at all times regardless of them being "off" or not. Many people with this problem turn off their radios just to have the power draw remain. Even if the radio is left on when turning off the car it shouldn't draw excessive power if everything is operating correctly.
The only way to figure out a power draw is to isolate the particular circuit that's causing the drain and then replace/fix/disconnect the part that's giving the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts