Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, its been fun tricking out my 2011 v6 Mustang, but circumstances have changed, so it was time to part ways. No more heads being turned as the whistle of the ProCharger in a parking garage. In hindsight, I did notice a few things that might be worth sharing.

1. Dollar for dollar, the best modifications were gears and a Borla exhaust. It is a reminder that sometimes the most important elements of a car are not its quarter mile time, but how it sounds and feels as it gets there.

2. The Procharger was really unique, but to be honest, it had its fair share of headaches as well. The tune is EVERYTHING when it comes to boost, and the most difficult element is when it transitions from vaccum to boost. Sure, it was a kick to have nearly 500HP a the crank, but would I do that part again? ...Probably not.

3. The modding was fun, but in the future if I were to do something like that again, I'd probably just stick to bolt-ons. Anything that is reversable.

4. Someday I hope Ford mates up a better tranny than the MT82. I tried to overlook some of its characteristics for quite some time, but the reality is, that it is notchy and inconsistent.

Great car though, and if I didn't have a dog, and two mountain passes to cross over on a fairly frequent basis, I probably would have kept it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sorry you had to let it go. Thanks for the feedback. It will help those of us on the fence with where to go with future decisions.

BTW, if you were to do it again, would you stick with the 3.7 or go for the 5.0 since a bolt on route can go a lot faster?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry you had to let it go. Thanks for the feedback. It will help those of us on the fence with where to go with future decisions.

BTW, if you were to do it again, would you stick with the 3.7 or go for the 5.0 since a bolt on route can go a lot faster?
Yeah, it is the main reason why I decided to make this post. To help others if they were on the fence.

I realized sound and feel were a much more important part of the experience than I thought. Because of that, I would go with a 5.0 - even if it meant a few less bells and whistles along the way. But then again, I probably would have been griping about the MPGs along the way. :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
So did you sell it?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
sorry to hear that as it seems that you had alot of dough tied up in it but Car>Dog ....just sayin

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I think some people make the mistake of modding their daily driver until its not very feasible as a daily driver anymore. When I test drove the v6 I thought it was faster than I'd ever need. Now two years later I'd probably prefer a 5.0 too, just like those who have 5.0s that would rather be in a Shelby or Corvette.

The truth of the matter is I rarely use all the hp that the v6 provides. It averages 24-25 mpg combined, sounds good with Bassani mufflers, and I don't owe all that much on it. The bottom line is its a great daily driver.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
thank you for your in sight! I really needed it. In my past experiences I learned you buy the best of what you can afford and really try not to modify it to be a competitor. Sadly stupid is as stupid does. I am getting gears done this week and driveshaft.
Next year will be shocks struts and mounts and rims and tires. Then the car is done. Being 18 I hope I can keep it for a life time!

But deff sad I hope you hang around tho!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think some people make the mistake of modding their daily driver until its not very feasible as a daily driver anymore. When I test drove the v6 I thought it was faster than I'd ever need. Now two years later I'd probably prefer a 5.0 too, just like those who have 5.0s that would rather be in a Shelby or Corvette.

The truth of the matter is I rarely use all the hp that the v6 provides. It averages 24-25 mpg combined, sounds good with Bassani mufflers, and I don't owe all that much on it. The bottom line is its a great daily driver.
Whether it is a 4 wheel drive truck, or a hot car, you do see what you describe all the time. The car still fell in the "very drivable" side even with FI. My circumstances just changed a bit. Not in a bad way. Just different. But I did learn a few things along the way, which is why I wanted to share my experiences. Each step was very fun. Dropping in a CAI and a tune, changing geers, throwing on a good exhaust, etc. Silly and a fast way to blow expendable income, sure. But fun.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
thankyou OP for your honest evaluation of the experience.
Some good points have been raised here. When you get a car, you have to be honest with yourself.As has been said, there is a fine line between maintaining a vehicle as daily transportation, and turning it into a casual ride. If some starts out with a lesser powered car, that line is much easier to cross. As the OP mentioned with the Procharger, that amount of modification soon turns a reliable DD into a finicky contraption.Mind you as the OP stated, the v6 was still very driveable with the supercharger. A luxury of FI as trying to get to those power levels conventionally woulsd render the car undriveable for extended street use. A stock GT with few bolt on mods would yield as much power as a highly modded v6, and remain perfectly streetable. And as the OP stated, the sound and feel factor with the larger engine cannot be copied with the smaller one, no matter the effort.And as also pointed out by the OP it costs mnoney.Power that is.
The problem with power is it is never enough, no matter the level. You get used to it, Human nature provides for a thrill based instinct that gets imune very fast to thrill levels. i know this only too well as personally, every car I ever modified failed to provide the thrill level required for ever.
I have to realize at my stage of the game that going beyond what I have opens other areas of concern. Stunt driving charges ,resulting high insurance rates,possibility of crashes all play a part in me having to get it through my head that sometimes enough has top be enough.
I have modified the v8 fairly heavily. it is not really a DD anylonger (never really was and never intended to be)
I have to be more carefull with the v6. It is a DD and it needs to remain so. I am in the process of moding it. But every mod i have done or have planned did not and will not , take away from its principle role. My everyday transportation. Actually, the mods i am doing will not only improve the performance, but also should improve the day to day driveability without sacrificing fuel economy ( it should actually improve)
So if you choose to mod, do so wisely and above all , be honest.With yourself. And remember, a car is not a gainful investment, especially a moddified one.
A little long winded, but then again no one is forcing you to read it. :winks

·
Registered
659 Posts
The problem with power is it is never enough, no matter the level. You get used to it, Human nature provides for a thrill based instinct that gets imune very fast to thrill levels. i know this only too well as personally, every car I ever modified failed to provide the thrill level required for ever.
The sad thing is that most of us know this already, yet continue to waste money on making our cars faster. That being said, I am ordering my blower tommorow :D

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
The sad thing is that most of us know this already, yet continue to waste money on making our cars faster. That being said, I am ordering my blower tommorow :D
it is a disease. :nogrinner

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i ordered my blower 2 weeks ago and the wait for it is keeping me awake at night.. something might be wrong with me.

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
If you order it today, Brenspeed has a 9% discount today only.

G

·
Seems like a blower is just a whole new set of problems. Suspension and gears seems to be the fun, low-stress way to mod these cars.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I should be getting my gears installed this week, drop it of Thursday, yep, It's a sickness, I had it with my motorcycles, spent more money on the mods than I ever got back when selling them, although, it's alot cheaper to mod the bikes I was working on.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In a Guitar players world we call it G.A.S.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
Always looking for new tones.
Looks like the same problem with our Cars!:winks

G

·
In a Guitar players world we call it G.A.S.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
Always looking for new tones.
Looks like the same problem with our Cars!:winks
I've been thinking over a 30 Watt Orange tube amp for months now. It's funny how fast I'm learning to justify $899 for such a small amp.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've been thinking over a 30 Watt Orange tube amp for months now. It's funny how fast I'm learning to justify $899 for such a small amp.
If you have some serious Cash you want to dump into a great Amp you should check out a Boutique Amp made by "65 Amps"
They sound Awesome. Very Pricey :drool:
They are on my wish list.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Seems like a blower is just a whole new set of problems. Suspension and gears seems to be the fun, low-stress way to mod these cars.
The only headache with a blower is getting a good tuner...

Question to sketchy. Did you sell the car with the blower on it or did you take it off before you sold it. I've already ran it though my mind I would most definitely take my blower off if I ever sold the car.. granted there are some thing I did that are irreversible like the coolant lines but other then that I could make the car na again within a day if I wanted too.

Good luck in your future endeavours. I realized that I no longer wanted to dd my car anymore as well. It was just to fast and I always felt.like having to worry about my car..whether it was people in parking lots or just driving on the road. Not that I would of felt any more different about that if I hadn't put the blower on... this is why my car is now a weekend warrior and I dd my jeep cherokee

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only headache with a blower is getting a good tuner...

Question to sketchy. Did you sell the car with the blower on it or did you take it off before you sold it. I've already ran it though my mind I would most definitely take my blower off if I ever sold the car.. granted there are some thing I did that are irreversible like the coolant lines but other then that I could make the car na again within a day if I wanted too.

Good luck in your future endeavours. I realized that I no longer wanted to dd my car anymore as well. It was just to fast and I always felt.like having to worry about my car..whether it was people in parking lots or just driving on the road. Not that I would of felt any more different about that if I hadn't put the blower on... this is why my car is now a weekend warrior and I dd my jeep cherokee
Thanks man. Nope, it went as-is. Since I had it installed, I didn't have the luxury of reversing course with it. Might have been nice to do, but who knows...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts