Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got next week off, subframe connectors and LCAs waiting in the garage, adjustable shocks and struts, and GT500 strut mounts coming in the mail ETA Tuesday, life is good :D. This is the biggest DIY project that I've attempted to date but I'm feeling pretty good about it. I did a ton of research (probably read every single set of available install instructions for each part, haha) and got all the torque specs from the online manual in the Tech section. I'm not too thrilled about having to get a front end alignment @ $100 (b/c I think since I'm not lowering it I'll be able to get it very close to, if not the same as, how it was before disassembly), but better safe than sorry on a basically brand new car. So needless to say, today and Friday can't pass quickly enough, lol.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Nice man! Sounds like a worthy DIY cause. You must post pictures and lots of them when complete. It's the law!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice man! Sounds like a worthy DIY cause. You must post pictures and lots of them when complete. It's the law!:bigthumbsup
Will do, I'm going to start tearing into it tomorrow morning. I don' think the strut mounts will get here until the afternoon so I'll do the LCAs, subframes, and shocks first, then tackle the struts.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
man that sounds like fun!!!! I was looking around and alot of people are saying that this chassis does not really need sub frams connectors. Post some pics of them and give some feed back on how much stiffer the chassis gets. It would be nice if you could do a before and after the subframe connectors after you install the struts.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got everything in today without any issues, got started at around 11 and finished up at about 6:30. I didn't think that was bad for doing it by myself (well besides my wife hand-tightening the strut mount nuts while I held it in place). I only got to take it for a quick test drive after finishing due to have a softball game at 7:00 so I didn't get to tinker with anything but nothing broke and there weren't any funny noises, so I chalked it up as a successful install. I'm pretty sure that the shocks/struts ship at a setting close to stock so I shouldn't have noticed a difference from OEM on the test drive and I didn't so I counted that as another positive. Now all I have to do is get the front end lined up to make sure (think I got it pretty close based on the test drive but better safe than sorry) everything is where it's supposed to be and I'll be all set. The only things that took me a bit to get were compressing the springs the right way and loading the shocks/struts enough so that I could torque them to spec without them just spinning, other than those it went a lot smoother that I figured it was going to. Here at some pics of the shocks, LCAs, and subframes. I'm terrible about stopping to take pics so I forgot to get some of the struts.

Product info:

UPR Solid Urethane LCAs
UMI Bolt-in Subframe Connectors
Strange 10-Way Adjustable Struts/Shocks
FRPP GT500 Strut Mounts

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
overdue update

Well went and had the front end aligned, everything was where it should be other than the passenger side was something like .2 of a degree toe-ed in. So I was pretty happy about that. There was a glitch though, in the rush to test drive the car between finishing it and my softball game, I managed to forget to torque the front wheels on :nono:. Developed a shake at 60 and a pop when applying the brakes after the alignment so I went to take the wheels/tires off the following afternoon and discovered the culprit when I could turn off the lugnuts BY HAND, whoops. Torqued them all to spec, took it out for another test drive and voila, no shake and no pop, haha. Unfortunately I still haven't got a chance to play around with the adjustment at all but I'm heading to a T/T this coming Sunday so it'll happen then. I'm hoping softening up the suspension will provide a little traction and combining that with a higher shift point will get me through the quarter without having to shift to 5th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts