Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 1965 coupe inline 6 with a c-4 transmission. I have a rear main seal leak and there is probably pitting on the crank causing it. If I am going to pull the inline out I might as well swap it for a 289 can you guys give me complete list of parts I need to swap out. Tie-rods, idler arm, WHAT ELSE? Do I need a new rear end? PLEASE let me know

·
Registered
895 Posts
It seems like every two days we get a posting about swapping a inline 6. :so

There are a ton of threads on this. Also you can make the 6 cylinder perform for a lot less check out the stuff Mike at Classic Inlines is doing.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
25 Posts
gas line stops in engine compartment at different location,accelerator linkage from gas opedal all the way to carb is different,radiator size,hose outlets ect is dif,motor mt and brackets different,drive shaft completly differenttransmission incl bellhousing different, all steering components from pitman arm on steering box over to the idler arm different although can be updated at later date,rear end assembly incl axles brakes,housing,chuck ect different,front brakes undersized for v8,need spindles,all brake hardware ect,all accessories mount on engine differently so need more that just engine,need different carb,distrubutor, intake manifold,heads,exhuast manifolds and exhuast system.if youre not a car guy and have never done this type of work,believe me its not for 1dt timers and mojor bucks unless you have a complete parts car with all the v8 stuff to use. wes

·
Registered
153 Posts
you'll probably need a 289, but I'm not sure what else. Oh those 289 fender badges also. That should be about it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
find a wrecked donor car is your best bet. my 66 is a converted car. it was a inline 6 with a 3 speed and now its a 289 with a c4 and a 9 inch rear

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a 1965 coupe inline 6 with a c-4 transmission. I have a rear main seal leak and there is probably pitting on the crank causing it. If I am going to pull the inline out I might as well swap it for a 289 can you guys give me complete list of parts I need to swap out. Tie-rods, idler arm, WHAT ELSE? Do I need a new rear end? PLEASE let me know
Depending on the miles on the engine it maybe just a worn rear seal. Why not take a look over at fordsix.com and classicinlines.com fix and repair any problems with the six add a little kick and STAY INLINE :bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Your C4 will have to have clutches added to both drums to take the torque of a V8. You will also need the flexplate (flywheel) to fit the new engine and a converter that fits the new engine and the transmission. (the six's converter will NOT work)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just change the suspension out for a V8 car. you can talk to any mustang supplier about the parts you need.Spindles are a must,as are brakes,springs front & back. A 8" rear at least. try to get a 289& a C4 as a pair,works better,and you can get a torque converter from any transmission place.Motor mounts& a tranny cross member are also needed.all this stuff is availible online.so go for it.:bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.