Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I know very little about transmissions so if you think that a question is too stupid that's probably because it is. I have a 3 speed that I believe is from 1968, and as far as I know the clutch assembly and flywheel are also that old. So my question is what parts go on the shaft of the transmission before it is bolted to the engine block? I know that where the drive shaft connects to the transmission there is suppose to be a seal, but I don't know what its called so if anybody knows what its called and where I can get one that be great. There is also a block of metal that came with it that I THINK goes on the shaft but I don't know what goes with it or around it. Basically I need to know all the parts that I will need to make it operational and how they go on. I like pictures! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok brother I am no professional but have installed a clutch or two.
You will need the following:

1. New clutch
2. New throw out bearing
3. New pressure plate
4. Have fly wheel turned by a good machine shop
5. If you don't have one buy yourself a good clutch alignment tool. This will make the install a hole lot easier.

As for as the seals are concerned find a good parts persn and they can tell you what else you might need.

I am no mechanic good luck happy wrenching. One last thing by new stuff some people may tell you to reuse the throw out bearing but don't do it. It is easily install with the transmission out and the cost is small.

·
Registered
471 Posts
To add to what preacherman said nothing goes on the front shaft of the transmission, the throw out bearing goes over the shaft and clips to the fork in the bell housing. As for the seal where the drive shaft goes, just as for a rear seal for what ever type transmission you have or take the old one out and let them match it with a new one. Suggest you get a shop manual sold by any of the mustang part venders :bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's been a long time since I pulled a clutch, but here is some basic info.

The last picture is the flywheel, it bolts to the end of the engine crankshaft. The holes in the center must line up with the holes in the crankshaft, and then bolted in place. You need the bolts and torque settings for the bolts. Lock-Tight may be used these days.

The 4th and 5th pictures are the pressure plate which bolts to the flywheel with bolts that go through the holes on the outside perimeter.

You are missing the clutch disc which goes between the flywheel and pressure plate. It won't work without it.

The throwout bearing is seen in the second picture. It goes on the transmission shaft, but in between the prong the clutch pedal moves, and the dogs of the pressure plate. When you push on the clutch pedal, the prong around the transmission shaft, pushes on the dogs of the pressure plate which moves the pressure plate away from the clutch disc and flywheel. It has to be the correct throwout bearing for it to work properly. I can't remember exactly how to install the throw out bearing properly.

The clutch alignment tool, aligns the clutch disc with the hole in the crankshaft so the transmission shaft will slide in place properly.

This is not really a hard job, for an experienced mechanic. However, if you do something wrong, it could cause major problems. I highly suggest you get some type of service manual. Maybe your local library will have one.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi,

Also, if it wasn't mentioned, R&R the pilot bearing located in the flywheel with bearing type. I read were it was mentioned to add locktite to the flywheel bolts, while this is a good idea, it's a good idea, to add sealant on the first couple threads of those bolt, as the holes are drilled through, thus, exposed to the crankcase.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so I need to clip the throwout bearing to the clutch fork on the shaft, the pilot bearing goes in the flywheel where the transmission slides into it. And then it bolts up to the engine block? Is that right? And the clutch bolts to the flywheel with the pressure plate in between. Also is there any special way to install the rear seal in the transmission? I'm asking because since there is no seal all or most of the trans fluid leaked out. So going along with that is there a particular way to put new fluid in or just take the top off and put it in that way, and how much should go in? Seems pretty straight forward if I have it right, but I'm glad I made sure though for peace of mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
rtv

use r t v on the flywheel bolts or you will have a oil leak. To change the pilot bearing,if you don't have the tool fill the hole with grease then get a socket that just fits the hole in the bearing,put it in the bearing about 1/2 way, fill the socket with grease then hit the socket with a dead blow hammer the pilot bearing will be forced out by the pressure from the grease.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello 68coupe5.0,
I think you are getting the idea of the install.
You have been given some GREAT advice

I wantd to just try to clarify a couple of things.

BEFORE starting this project - - a manual is a MUST in this
situation. The throw-out beaaring, clutch disc etc need to face the proper direction
when installed.

To try to simplify the explanation I will give you another example of how things
go together.

I think the repsonders have explained what the parts picture are BUT
if you are unsure - -just ask.

For the regulars - please bear with me as I know that I am NOT saying
total technical truths.

So - - If you look at the picture of the flywheel - -the center group of holes is where
the flywheel bolts to the vrank shaft at the back of the motor.

See the large center hole - -that is where the end of the crankshaft will be located.
The PLIOT bearing - -is sitting inside the center of that hole - -BUT it will be much smaller than that hole. It fits into the back of the crank,

Next in line is the clutch disk - - it actually sits LOOSE at first. Kinda harad to explain but bear with me. For now - -just imagine the disk is sitting LOOSE and not bolted

The next piece that would go in - -is the pressure plate. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel to hold it in place.

BUT before you install the pressure pllate - -you need to attach the "throw-out bearing" on the fork.

So so far - -we have the back of the motor (crank shaft really - -
Then into that goes the bearing - -
Now the clutch disk is FLOATING around and NOT attached - -it is actually held in
place by 2 things. The first is the pressure plate and once the transmission is installed the front shaft of the trani will hold the disc.

The rpessure plate will hold the disk in place until the transmission is installed.

This is why you need an alignment tool to get the clutch disk perfectly centered.

The alignment tool will look the front shaft of the transmission. Ican be plastic, wood or metal.

You install the flywheel, and plot bearing - -then put the clutch disk up in rough position and put the pressure plate on.

It is at that point where you use the tool to align everything before tightening the bolts for the pressure plate. Once the pressure plate and disc are aligned you tightne evrything down.

Now the only little tricky part is to install the transmission without
knocking the throw-out bearing out of position. NOT HARD to do if you take your time. The trani is pretty light and workable.

I HOPE this helps you understand how the assembly works.

The idea is when the clutch is not depressed - -the disc is tight on the flywheel giving you traction. Then qhwn you step on the clutch pedal - -the fork moves and the throw-out bearing pushes the fingers on the pressure plate - -so that the clutch is not tight on the flywheel. At that point the clutch disc cannot fall becuae the front shaft of the transmission is keeping it from falling.

I did not go into bolting on the bellhousing BUT I think that is pretty simple

HOPE this helps explain thingts a bit.

There is a seal in you "tail shaft} of the transmission. It is probably just old and leaky. Simple to pop out and press in a new one.

When it coems time to refill the trans - -there is a bolt you take out to fill the
transmission with 90 wieght gear oil.

My suggestiuon is to fill the trans last - -after the clutch install

Print Dad

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is great! I'm clear on everything now and I'm positive I can get it together. The pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel, the flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft, with thread sealant. The clutch is bolted to the flywheel with the clutch disk in between, which is aligned before the bolts on the clutch are tighten down. The throw out bearing is clipped to the clutch fork. Then the seal on the tail shaft is pushed in and then 90 W gear oil is put in. Then its all set. Sound good? Thanks for everybody's quick, and more importantly helpful, tips!:kooky:

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is great! I'm clear on everything now and I'm positive I can get it together. The pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel, the flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft, with thread sealant. The clutch is bolted to the flywheel with the clutch disk in between, which is aligned before the bolts on the clutch are tighten down. The throw out bearing is clipped to the clutch fork. Then the seal on the tail shaft is pushed in and then 90 W gear oil is put in. Then its all set. Sound good? Thanks for everybody's quick, and more importantly helpful, tips!:kooky:
Lets us know how it turns out. You owe us all a ride :kooky:

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello 68coupe5.0,
I think you have the right idea

Your terms may be a little off - - the pressure plate is attached
to the flywheel.

I hope you understand how the alignment tool works.

In the OLD days - - we would have an old front shaft from another
trans and use that.

If you look at the front shaft - -see the small end - -before the gear
looking section.
The front smooth section fits into the pilot bushing - - the clutch disk
is notched to fit on the grooves or gears of the shaft.

I suggest printing this thread out - and as you start to assemble, I think things
will be easier to understand.

Let us know when you plan to tackle this job.

Last suggestion - - give yourself plenty of time for this job.
Figure on a week-end. Go slow and do it right the first time.

To be honest the job can be done in about 2 hours BUT - -DO NOT
rush. If uncertain - - as you go along - -STOP and ask questions

FINALLY - to address the seal on the output shaft - - yours is in there
and needs to be popped out. They make a seal puller - -but to be honest
a screwdriver will pop it out. Just be certain to not use too much force and don't
nick the inside of the transmission.

The new seal is an easy install and can be pressed in with a block of wood or
the end of a pipe. The trick is to put the seal in straight and even.

Let us know - -Print Dad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts