Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately i've been noticing that this light has been going on and off every couple minutes or so and I don't know why it would do that. I've heard it has nothing to do with the bama tune that I'm running, but what else can it be? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because its pretty far, and I don't want to have to go through the hassle of ordering new tunes. (even though I have free tunes for life) Does anyone know whats causing this problem?

·
Registered
471 Posts
When the light is coming on and off, do you have anyone in the seat, or any weight in the seat. The 2011 and newer Mustangs have sensors in the seat to determine the amount of weight and if the need for the airbag exist or not. My wife is 112 pounds and depending on how close she has the seat to the dash, the light comes on and off. When she moves the seat back, the light stays off. When the seat is up close, the light comes on and off like you have described.
Hope this helps. Also the manual describes this in great detail if you have plenty of reading time.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Your passenger seat is reading a weight in the seat too light for the airbag to deploy. Put your 12 pack in the back seat.:) If it goes off with nothing in the seat, get it checked out. If it only does it with something on the seat, it is normal. If it does it with someone in the seat, get it checked out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the light is coming on and off, do you have anyone in the seat, or any weight in the seat. The 2011 and newer Mustangs have sensors in the seat to determine the amount of weight and if the need for the airbag exist or not. My wife is 112 pounds and depending on how close she has the seat to the dash, the light comes on and off. When she moves the seat back, the light stays off. When the seat is up close, the light comes on and off like you have described.
Hope this helps. Also the manual describes this in great detail if you have plenty of reading time.
ill definitely check this out, its usually with smaller passengers too haha. Thanks a lot man i appreciate it

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Lately i've been noticing that this light has been going on and off every couple minutes or so and I don't know why it would do that. I've heard it has nothing to do with the bama tune that I'm running, but what else can it be? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because its pretty far, and I don't want to have to go through the hassle of ordering new tunes. (even though I have free tunes for life) Does anyone know whats causing this problem?
I have this problem whenever my wife is in the car with me, I think it's because she is too small perhaps? lol. She is 5,3 and about 120 pounds and EVERY time we go for a ride my passenger airbag light comes on, whereas any time I'm with a friend, I never see it on.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have this problem whenever my wife is in the car with me, I think it's because she is too small perhaps? lol. She is 5,3 and about 120 pounds and EVERY time we go for a ride my passenger airbag light comes on, whereas any time I'm with a friend, I never see it on.

Nail on head!

Only occurs when my wife is in the seat. She's 5'3" 113lbs. I took it to the dealership to have the sensor recalibrated or replaced. Service Manager told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the sensor. Depending on if my wife is leaned forward/backward or what have you, the light will go on/off intermittantly.
As I understood it, the sensor is calibrated to read a minimum of 100lbs if it detects any weight in the seat. Its designed to keep the airbag off if for some reason you have someone in the seat who weighs less than that (a child for example).

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Nail on head!

Only occurs when my wife is in the seat. She's 5'3" 113lbs. I took it to the dealership to have the sensor recalibrated or replaced. Service Manager told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the sensor. Depending on if my wife is leaned forward/backward or what have you, the light will go on/off intermittantly.
As I understood it, the sensor is calibrated to read a minimum of 100lbs if it detects any weight in the seat. Its designed to keep the airbag off if for some reason you have someone in the seat who weighs less than that (a child for example).
I believe because the legal weight limit for a front seat passenger in a car with air bags is 140+ pounds... I could be wrong on the exact amount but it's due to the safety. Airbags can cause serious harm, as in decapitation if the wrong person is sitting there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts