Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced water under the pass. side rear seat? I replaced the front buckle which required taking apart my 96 interior in the rear. I found that the inner wheel well flange had rotted away and I could see daylight from inside the vehicle. Then I inspected from outside and saw the caulk coming out. The car was repaired on that side when it was a year old, but I think that, the part that has rotted was original. Has anyone else experienced this in their vehicle?
Thx,
Dom

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Any time you have a repair you have a weak spot. Repairs will always interfere with the factory rust proofing. Also, if the car was not washed much or the paint had been compromised in that are you will get rust through. It's no so much that it is normal, it is just expected that some will and some will not experience this issue. Only way to fix rust so it doesn't come back is to cut it all out and replace it with metal. Fully seam seal the area and be certain to paint both sides properly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx. The rust has been cut out, steel was brazed in place, both inside and out of that wheel well. I believe he is then going to finish it off properly with seam sealer and such. Thanks for the feedback.
Dom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts